Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Comping Guide updated with bits & pieces for spammy sites,' don't post answers' sites & a few odds & ends. Also included the following after a couple of pm requests for something to be added:

Posting Comps

1 How can I find comps to post on here, I’ve entered loads & want to give some back?
    Regular compers on MSE already post the daily ITV comps & will arrange for someone to cover them if they aren't going to be around - because the search facility won't pick something up for at least 30 mins after posting, please remember that regular posters will probably already have this in hand! Also, the magazine comps that have their own threads will have lists of people that buy the magazines, answer the puzzles then post the answers on here for others. Please respect these existing posters as it is their money they are handing over to buy the mags & give us the answers. If you are interested in helping out or posting a particular magazine then either post in that mags thread or if you can't find the actual thread then post in the Comps Discussion thread to ask about it & another comper will be along to help point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day, no comper 'owns the right' to post a particular comp but please take a moment, have a look around & ask in the Comps Discussion Thread if necessary to ask if there is a regular poster for a particular comp. Let's keep this a friendly place to play, avoid duplication & misunderstandings :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A request: If you want me to see something
    then pm me a link to it!
    I'm quite sad that I've come across some posts on the board grumbling about stuff not being added to the Guide - if you don't pm me & let me know then it won't be added. I don't have time to read each thread every time it is posted upon, I have a full time job & comp in my spare time. So please, pm me if you want me to see something! :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Having just read through all your updated 'bits & pieces' can i just say you do a fantastic job for us all :A :T:T thank you very much :A
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• VelvetGlove
    edited 14 April 2010 at 7:45PM
    There has been an update to the Guide for the sites which do not wish their answers posted. Please note MyChild.co.uk have now been added to the list :) Thanks!

4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    The sites we know of are listed below. Please let me know if you come across any others:
    • Allinlondon.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • BeyondHollywood.com - Do not post any of their comps on here (at request of the site themselves)
    • BookGeeks.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • BookDagger.com - Do not post answers
    • BookHugger.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • KidAround.Biz - Do not post the comp email address
    • Kmag.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • UKFisherman.com - Do not post answers
    • HunkyDoryHome.co.uk - Do not post any info other than a link to the comp on their site
    • MumsZone.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • MyChild.co.uk - Do not post answers
    • LawAndMore.co.uk - Do not post any info other than a link to the comp on their site
    • SafeConcerts.com - Do not post answers
    • StalePopcorn.co.uk - Do not post answers (please see this thread)
    • TheHuntingGround.net - Do not post answers
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • Would it be possible to put in big bright text somewhere about the date format for the headings/titles.

For the sort filter to work it needs to be MONTH first, then the DAY! If not you just end up with 01/05, 01/06, 01/07....02/05, 02/06.....03/05, 03/06 etc......

Even in the locked message about the title format it doesn't specify this, it just says E: 01/01 ......

I've only just started looking at the comping board. Thanks to all who post to it :-)
  • VelvetGlove
    barisax_al wrote: »
    Would it be possible to put in big bright text somewhere about the date format for the headings/titles.

For the sort filter to work it needs to be MONTH first, then the DAY! If not you just end up with 01/05, 01/06, 01/07....02/05, 02/06.....03/05, 03/06 etc......

Even in the locked message about the title format it doesn't specify this, it just says E: 01/01 ......

I've only just started looking at the comping board. Thanks to all who post to it :-)

Welcome to the Comping Corner of MSE :)

I can see where you are coming from with your suggestion barisax, however, I'm not sure it is something that would be adopted by the forum. The compers & the Board Guides would need to evaluate the idea. To give you a little Comping board background... it has taken over a year to encourage all comp posters to put the end date in a particular format to help the search work & even then, there are still comps posted where the poster needs to be reminded to put the end date in at all!

A while ago, one of the lovely Board Guides spent at least a whole weekend, going back through all the threads & adjusting titles to show the ending dates so the search would be a lot more useful to people looking for comps that were just ending. The search function now groups all the 1st's together, then all the 2nd's etc, so with a little scrolling through you can find the date you are after.

If your suggestion were implemented I think it would be quite confusing - it would resemble American date style & I think the chaos that would bring would be enormous, compared to the benefit it would bring to some of the forum users, as not everyone enters comps by 'ending dates'.

Compers would look at a title, eg 05/06 xxxxxx & wonder if the comp was ending on the 5th June or on 6th May. Add to that the learning curve of posters putting the wrong format, then compers wondering if the poster used the UK or American style of end date......... :eek: massive headache for all concerned!

This is only my opinion so if you want to see what other compers think then why not post your suggestion in the Discussion thread which is also a sticky post at the top of page 1? Then you would get other compers thoughts on it too :)
  • sbirks23
    sbirks23 Posts: 698 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I regularly use the search facility and wondered if anyone else finds that even if you don't tick the child forums tick box (within advanced search) that it still brings up Game Over comps even if you're only searching for 'live' comps?
    Is this a glitch or is there a reason for it, i keep going to enter comps that have expired already...
    Thanks in advance..
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2010 at 2:45PM
    Unfortunately I don't have much time now to do many comps and so I have changed the way that I enter

I now enter comps which are closing the following day and so use search by date ending see:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...11&postcount=3

when I have found all of the comps which are closing the following day I make a note of the page numbers then using the Firefox Multi Links add on I then right click and select the small page numbers so that all of the the pages open in new tabs

now for the clever part I click on the first tab and by using control + - (minus) I shrink the competition page so that all of the comps are visible without the need to scroll I then go into Firefox's Tools,Add-ons, Multi Links options,actions and select save to bookmarks

now when I right click and select all of the comps instead of opening new tabs the comps are saved as bookmarks and put into a folder for later use I do this for each tabbed page

when all of the bookmarks have been saved you may find that you end up with multiple folders what I do is use Firefox's "Organize Bookmarks" found on the top menu bar Bookmarks, select each folder and click on a link and use control+A to select all of the links then drag and drop them into the first folder do this for each multiple folder so that all of the bookmarks are in one place

now if you select a link and use control+A at the bottom it will tell you how many bookmarks/comps that you have to enter

when the bookmarks are all together I select a link and by using a the combination of the Shift key and the downward arrow I highlight and select 40 bookmarks (don't try more than this as Firefox may become unstable and crash) and then right click and select "open all in tabs"

after you have finished doing the above go back into "organize bookmarks" and you will find that the bookmarks will be still highlighted now press delete and the selected bookmarks will be deleted ready for your next batch

I find that this is also a great method for doing the "month ending" comps as you can save them on a daily basis to a folder named "Month Ending" and them do them at your own leisure without any of the problems caused by the page numbers constantly changing (on the display options select sorted by "Thread Title" from the "Last Day" sort order "Descending"

one other tip if you decide to do the above install the Firefox add on "Bookmarks Duplicate Detector" and in the add on's options select "add confirmation before to add duplicate bookmark" now when you right click to add bookmarks with Multi Links you will get a pop up warning box when you try to a add a duplicated bookmark

I hope that this makes sense and is of use to someone

Best of Luck :)
  • claner
    claner Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Of course the big danger with entering competitions the day before they close is that you are going to miss out on all those that close earlier than the official closing date.

Personally I don't use the closing date search facility so I don't care what format is used. :D
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    claner wrote: »
    Of course the big danger with entering competitions the day before they close is that you are going to miss out on all those that close earlier than the official closing date.

Personally I don't use the closing date search facility so I don't care what format is used. :D

I must admit that this is a problem ;)

so today I have bookmarked all 285 pages of comps - 5,000 plus competitions using the method in #208

now they are all bookmarked I can add to them on a daily basis and catch up with the other comps at leisure (earliest dates first) without the problem of the page numbers constantly changing

it took ages to do and I nearly gave up on the endeavor a few times but I managed to complete the huge task eventually :p

I am now able to date sort the bookmarks and correct any date errors, sort the dates "ascending" or "descending" or search for any date in the future :)

I am also able to search out individual prizes for instance I can key in "ipod" and it will return all of the bookmarks with this prize

Best of Luck :)
  • law2097
    law2097 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Do you guys enter comps for other people? If it's something like a holiday I enter using my details then enter again using my girlfriends as it's something we would both enjoy. Otherwise I tend to only enter once for me.

So am I loosing out by not entering every competition for myself, grandparents, parents, siblings, partner etc.... just to get more entries?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure