PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm surprised you think of 'stir fry' as Chinese food Jackie. I wonder if you you are thinking of the water chestnuts and beansprouts that are often found in commercial packets or on a take-away menu and they either don't appeal or you dislike them. Stir fry is just small bits of veg (any, but typically peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage) and small bits of any meat. Then add a sauce of your choice, doesn't have to be Chinese sweet and sour or hoisin you can make it anything you want or you can keep it plain if you prefer. It's a great way of using up small amounts of things.

For myself, I'm not confident about fish and reluctant to order at a restaurant in case I dislike it.

Olives I can't abide. That's something I find overrated and just trendy to eat.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    .... if it's not so good, well I just won't bother again(I'll be honest, I find the idea of deciding you won't like something before you even try it completely incomprehensible). ...
    Because if you buy something you don't like, you still have to eat it all. Instead of all those horrid meals you've now got to eat, you could be eating something you KNOW you like.

If you go to all the effort of cooking, then get it on the plate and hate it you're sitting there hungry, tired, with an inedible meal in front of you, you can't cook something else as you spent your money on this stuff....and you know that not only do you now have to force-feed it to yourself .... but you've got more to eat that might be another 4-10 meals worth.

Because ... you can't simply have a teaspoon of something to taste and walk away if you hate it. You have to commit to buying something ...a whole something.... and then eat/use it all up.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can't stand Marzipan - bleughhhhh yuk - love almonds though, weird...

Also not a fan of Sweet and savoury mixed - saltanas in curries etc

Also drinks that are 'goopy' Baileys _pale_ and smoothies - it's a texture thing

Pasta - not a massive fan, but do eat occasionally as others in the family like it.

Feet in general are gross too tried pigs trotters and chicken feet - gelatinous and not pleasant

Never tried or even see tripe 'face to face' seen it on TV - I will skip that pleasure I think
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I'm surprised you think of 'stir fry' as Chinese food Jackie. I wonder if you you are thinking of the water chestnuts and beansprouts that are often found in commercial packets or on a take-away menu and they either don't appeal or you dislike them. Stir fry is just small bits of veg (any, but typically peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage) and small bits of any meat. Then add a sauce of your choice, doesn't have to be Chinese sweet and sour or hoisin you can make it anything you want or you can keep it plain if you prefer. It's a great way of using up small amounts of things.

I agree. I often make it as a side to use up all the odd bits of veg I have. I have a bottle of flavoured stir-fry oil so I don't even need a sauce when I am just making it as a veggie side.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah, since I posted, more ideas.... I'll add to my won't/haven't list:

mussels, kale, artichokes, fennel, seafood (except crabs), blue cheese, jellied eels, celery, almonds, oysters, black pudding, snails, olives, tinned fish (mackerel, sardines, similar), haggis, marzipan, smoothies.

And, strangely, cream - I was put off that as a child when it was a creamy blob at the top of a pint of milk. I don't mind if there's a bit in a meal, hidden, but I've never bought any cream myself, ever.

On the other hand, I can't abide skimmed/semi-skimmed milk.... it's just "not right" to me; I buy blue-top full cream milk.... which doesn't separate like it used to in the 1960s.

I, too, never eat stir fry - it's a trend from the late 1980s and to me isn't really "food" it's just a bunch of stuff tossed around in the pan for awhile and very unsatisfying. It comes under my heading of "not really food, it's just cheap stuff tossed around and presented as something magical.... not proper food at all"
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'm pretty adventurous and virtually have a motto of trying anything new that comes near me.

I've not been a meat-eater for decades now (bar ***** that have accidentally served me food with meat in - though I hadnt requested it:mad::mad:). When I was - I never had yukky type stuff - eg tripe/insects/jellied eels/snails/pigs trotters/anything in aspic.

I also never had anything that I would have eaten (ie it wasnt yukky) - but it was expensive. Thus first my parents couldnt afford it, then I couldnt afford it - so I've never had things like lobster or venison for instance.

I can't think of anything non-meat and non-fish that I wouldn't at least try.

....and yes I've probably tried out virtually every "fashionable" food and it's sitting there in my kitchen. Still summoning up my nerve to try spirulina and most varieties of seaweed - but I've experimented my way through pretty much everything else/decided I like it/it's there in my kitchen now.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll try most things, but I won't try

Tripe
    quinoa (I don't like the sound of it)
    tofu

I don't like:
    most game
    pork, even the smell of it cooking makes me feel ill (although I do like sausages)
    radishes
    dates (including sticky toffee pudding)
    salted caramel, I don't like the salty/sweet thing.
    oysters

I'm sure that given a bit of time I could probably come up with a long list :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anything with a head on. I got given a rainbow trout once whole. I was heaving for hours.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    I love butternut squash risotto, so that's two of JackieO's "never cooks" in one meal!

I have never cooked a Sunday roast. I don't eat red meat, so that leaves chicken or turkey and, if I cook those, I have smaller portions than a whole bird. I'm also not a fan of the cabbage family, so a Wintertime roast is even more out of the question.

I've also never cooked a curry. I don't eat them either.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still summoning up my nerve to try spirulina and most varieties of seaweed - but I've experimented my way through pretty much everything else/decided I like it/it's there in my kitchen now.

I had samphire last week which is close to seaweed and enjoyed it.

And don't knock laverbread until you've tried it. With a plate of fried bacon and cockles it's yummy!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure