PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Ownership / Partner's Rights

Options
I have been with my partner for 4 years now, since we first met working abroad. We quit our jobs and returned to the UK with the aim of settling down and getting our own place. In order to help us afford a home we moved in with my partners parents as this was the only way we could realistically save money to find a place.
My partner is very much financially driven and will often go without any luxuries in order to achieve a financial aim, often to my annoyance that she won't treat us to nights out etc because she doesn't want to waste money etc. I on the other hand like to enjoy life now as well as plan for the future and feel we deserve to enjoy life whilst we can and as a result my savings or contributions towards the house has hardly increased in the past 4 years.
My partner's parents have been kind enough to look after us for 2 years but I want a space of our own and a place to call ours, I have been very pushy towards this as my partner would rather save more money towards the deposit but I think we need a house now - she had save £100k (which is more than enough).
My partner has since purchased a house using the £100k she saved but wouldn't put my name on the house as I haven't been able to contribute anything towards the deposit. I want to have my name on the house and I have told her that I do not feel like this house is ours as it is in her name - it's her house.
She has reassured me that it is our house and that it will always be considered as such. We are now in a position where there are various things that need to be done to renovate the home such as a complete new bathroom and the lounge and bedrooms need a modest over haul too. We still need a new TV, washing machine, cooker etc.
My partner has asked me to help with paying for some of the work that will need to be done which will go into about £3,000 for all the work that will need to be done.
I don't want to pay anything towards the house because although we have been together for 4 years if we were to split then I wouldn't have any of that money. My partner has also asked that if I can't pay for refurbishments if I could buy things like the telly or washing machine etc but again I don't want to buy these as I would have no way to keep such big items as I would have to move back to my parents or somewhere else if we split.
I have told her that I will pay for things for the house but only if she puts my name on the house, otherwise I think it's unfair for her to expect me to pay for anything as I will have nothing to show for it if we split. Her reasons for not putting my name on the house is that she doesn't feel financially secure with putting my name on the house because my financial spending is more spontaneous than hers and because in the 4 years I haven't been able to make any savings.
I think she is being unreasonable expecting me to pay for upgrades to the house or big ticket items as I will lose out. I will be happy to share our bills equally but if she wants to make lavish upgrades or posh items such as TV's etc she shouldn't expect me to pay for them.
What do you think? Is she being unreasonable?

Should I be expected to pay for things for my partners house that we share? 49 votes

Yes, as I live there too
77% 38 votes
Yes, but only if she puts your name in the title deeds
2% 1 vote
No, not if she agrees to pay you back if you split
6% 3 votes
No, it's her house why should you pay for her to profit
14% 7 votes

Comments

• beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who pays the mortgage ?

Who would benefit from lavish things and a posh tv?

Surely the house should have been in joint names, joint mortgage etc, but with her havnig 100k and you having 0k equity at the start. If you split, then you proportion it out in the relevant way ? If the house cost 200k, then your partner owns outright 50% and then half of the other 50%. Hence if in 10 years time its worth 400k and you split, she gets 200k, then 50% of the rest?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If this isn't a wind up you need to go your separate ways.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    splitting the cost of consumer goods like a washing machine seems fair as you both use it - if you split up then you can check the value on ebay sold items and ask for half of the second hand value. same with tv if you both use it. i think it is unreasonable to expect to own a share of somebody elses house simply by living in it!
  • koumas1
    koumas1 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    She pays all the mortgage, paid all the solicitor fees, stump duty etc, insurance, As it stands i haven't paid anything towards the house, the purchase of the house - im just splitting half the living costs.
    I agree that I should have half of whatever is left after her share but she says it cost her over £2500 (Stamp duty, solicitor fees, home buyers survey etc) just to be able to buy the house and that as I didn't help towards any of this then this would be money she "would lose" if I had a share as I never contributed to any of it and so why should I benefit from all her hard work if I won't contribute anything at all to the house?
  • beaker141
    Options
    koumas1 wrote: »
    She pays all the mortgage, paid all the solicitor fees, stump duty etc, insurance, As it stands i haven't paid anything towards the house, the purchase of the house - im just splitting half the living costs.
    I agree that I should have half of whatever is left after her share but she says it cost her over £2500 (Stamp duty, solicitor fees, home buyers survey etc) just to be able to buy the house and that as I didn't help towards any of this then this would be money she "would lose" if I had a share as I never contributed to any of it and so why should I benefit from all her hard work if I won't contribute anything at all to the house?

As you dont pay half of the mortgage I'd recind my earlier comment of having half after her share (which at this point is nothing as its mortgaged!) - youre basically a lodger, and I guess a rent free lodger at that!
  • boliston
    Options
    beaker141 wrote: »
    Who pays the mortgage ?

Who would benefit from lavish things and a posh tv?

Surely the house should have been in joint names, joint mortgage etc, but with her havnig 100k and you having 0k equity at the start. If you split, then you proportion it out in the relevant way ? If the house cost 200k, then your partner owns outright 50% and then half of the other 50%. Hence if in 10 years time its worth 400k and you split, she gets 200k, then 50% of the rest?

I don't understand the maths here - If I start with a 0% share of an asset that doubles in value I would expect to retain my % share in the asset NOT come away with a different % share.
  • beaker141
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I don't understand the maths here - If I start with a 0% share of an asset that doubles in value I would expect to retain my % share in the asset NOT come away with a different % share.

Yes - I think thats what he has now - a 0% share which will only ever be a 0% share unless he starts pulling his weight a bit!

My point was, if house was 200k, person 1 put in 100k, person 2 0k then a mortgage for 100k - at that point person 1 has the 100k equity (50% of the house value) and they both then pay the mortgage equally - therefore jointly liable for the mortgage (and equity increase) for the other half.

After say 10 years, the house is worth 400k (doubled in value for simplicity) and the mortgage had been paid jointly as a partnership then in the event of a split it should go:-

Person 1 - gets 50% of 400k = 200k to reflect the gain their 100k made.

That leaves 200k from the sale, image the mortgage had 50k left and gets paid off - thats 150k left.

That 150k is then split 50/50 (to reflect the joint share of the other half of the house).

End result - Person 1 gets 275k, Person 2 gets 75k
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're right that it's "a bit cheeky" to ask you to pay for things you couldn't take if she chucked you out.... on the other hand, what might've been a good idea would've been for you to save a theoretical rent value into your own account each month as your "walking money" should that ever happen, so you're not left with no money and no options.

Should things work out that money could then be used to put into the house.

You do come over as a bit of a whining financial liability who doesn't share her vision/aspirations though ... which is probably why she's got it all in her name as she's not entirely sure she can depend on you.

Right now you're living rent free ... without any responsibility. You've effectively lived rent free and without any actual responsibilities for 4 years. On balance .... it's probably not unfair for you to dip your hand in your pocket, even if you do walk away with "nothing" should you ever be chucked out.

But, I bet, dipping your hand in your pocket will send a good message to her that you DO want to be part of the journey and not just as a passenger and you'll build some trust in the eyes of your long-suffering, financially aware, hard working, responsible partner :)
  • boliston
    Options
    I think I get this - one person puts in 100k cash and they get a joint mortgage on the remaining 100k so the equity share is 150k:50k (75%:25%)

The house doubles in value over 10 years and if it was then sold the cash would be split 300k:100k (75%:25%) they would each owe 25k of o/s mortgage reducing the cash proceeds to 275k:75k
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, a multiple choice poll.

So, I can vote yes and no... brilliant. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income