We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• At last - the courgette has finally got around to thinking about producing some female shoots.

When they'll turn into flowers, never mind courgettes, I have no idea.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Are they outdoors courgettes ? My one healthy outdoors one is still 'thinking about it' - whereas my greenhouse ones have produced a few fruit (fruit?) but haven't gone berzerk yet

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all. I'm just beginning to get courgettes from my outdoor plants. Of course, they all come at once, so I've had to give some away. Yesterday I had a chicken, courgette and rice concoction and it was delicious.

Peas and strawberries almost finished now, just waiting for the runner beans and tomatoes to be ready to start harvesting. Lots of herbs etc too.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thinking of harvesting all the spinach, lettuces, Broad beans and peas and trying a bit of a re-plant, ahead of us going away for three weeks (I know). DS will be living here, cat-sitting, watering and harvesting. I just know the greenhouse will suffer but he's cheaper than a house-sitter and completely trustworthy. I am thinking that if we minimise the stuff he has to look after, he will do it better. It is an hour a day otherwise and that is a lot for YFS chaps
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all

Not been around much lately, sadly my mum passed away last weekend and I have been away from home most days and often at night looking after my dad, dealing with the endless paperwork and arrangements, so the garden has been a bit neglected. Mum would have given me a right rollicking if I let the garden go so I gave everything a good drenching tonight. It was all bone dry despite some rain yesterday.

I've harvested a few things today, potatoes, courgettes, runner beans, and some more to do tomorrow morning before I am back at my dads.

Hope you are all doing ok, not had a chance to catch up on everyone's posts, but will do when I can x
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    Hi all

Not been around much lately, sadly my mum passed away last weekend and I have been away from home most days and often at night looking after my dad, dealing with the endless paperwork and arrangements, so the garden has been a bit neglected. Mum would have given me a right rollicking if I let the garden go so I gave everything a good drenching tonight. It was all bone dry despite some rain yesterday.

I've harvested a few things today, potatoes, courgettes, runner beans, and some more to do tomorrow morning before I am back at my dads.

Hope you are all doing ok, not had a chance to catch up on everyone's posts, but will do when I can x

So sorry for your loss. I often think of my late Dad when I am gardening. It still makes him feel closer and over 20 years since we lost him.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Are they outdoors courgettes ? My one healthy outdoors one is still 'thinking about it' - whereas my greenhouse ones have produced a few fruit (fruit?) but haven't gone berzerk yet

Yes, it's outdoors in a half barrel. I was getting concerned because a friend's allotment is producing vast amounts already - but he is a retired horticultural lecturer (doesn't use conventional pesticides or fertilisers, though), so I am probably being a bit hard on myself for not managing to get things as good as him - and I've just remembered he was given a lot of help because he uses a wheelchair, which included a greenhouse, so he most likely started the plants off in that.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • Ended up taking the fancy gun attachment off the hosepipe and leaving it to soak each bed and pot whilst I got on with some judicious trimming and pulling out of the largest weeds. Some small child walking past seemed quite amused that I was 'giving those flowers a haircut) - lavender that had gone over - and OH hailed me from the kitchen door with 'Do you know you've got a cat in your windowbox?' - naturally, the answer was 'no, but you hum it and I'll play it', which got me an unsolicited cuppa.

I also discovered a drillhole in the wall, which conveniently took a vine eye, so the honeysuckle out the front got tied in, which now frees off enough space in one of the window boxes for the remains of a supermarket basil - and another variety of mint to be very carefully coralled away from the wild.

Unfortunately, I've also discovered that the now ex-lodger's parting gift to me was sticking too much heavy stuff on the washing line, which [strike]is[/strike] was attached to the shed (and been perfectly adequate for myself and the OH's washing needs throughout the time he's been here).

I now have to navigate a thriving pyracantha and two occupied bee hotels to nail half the shed back together.

But the two sweetcorn plants look quite sturdy at around the four foot level - they've finally got above the height of the red clover.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Smeeinnit............So sorry for your loss. Xx
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear your news Smeeinit. Take things easy - this is tough time.

I hope you're all growing well. It's amazing how things take off isn't it?

Well I'm away - over in Essex shifting a tonne of top soil and doing a bit of gardening for my Mum who doesn't really get out in the garden anymore but she likes to sit by the kitchen door and look out. The soil over here is really heavy clay. So the top soil won't go far but a least I can plant the boarder up with flowers. Nearly finished and will be heading home tomorrow. Let's hope my neighbour and allotment friend have been in to water for me. I used Compost Direct again and once again they were very reliable and helpful.

Thoughts are with you all and happy growing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure