PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build incentive - Assured sale?

Options
As titled above, I'm interested in buying a new build property in Scotland and one of the incentives on offer is an assured sale on my current home.

I have nothing in writing yet other than that sentence, no small print or explanation of the grey area in between.

Does anyone here have any experience they can share on this?

My concern is the grey area, new property won't be ready until Xmas, mine is already on the market but sales are slow here.

Mine has been valued at a price we need to get to be able to buy the new plot. We'd be turning down any low offers if we got any, am I naive in thinking the builder would honour the full market value in an assured sale?

Comments

• sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 11:31PM
    Options
    Mickyduff wrote: »
    As titled above, I'm interested in buying a new build property in Scotland and one of the incentives on offer is an assured sale on my current home.

I have nothing in writing yet other than that sentence, no small print or explanation of the grey area in between.

Does anyone here have any experience they can share on this?

My concern is the grey area, new property won't be ready until Xmas, mine is already on the market but sales are slow here.

Mine has been valued at a price we need to get to be able to buy the new plot. We'd be turning down any low offers if we got any, am I naive in thinking the builder would honour the full market value in an assured sale?

I would be surprised if the builder paid full market value. The deal I opted for was the builder pays for my estate agency fees and gives me the opportunity to sell the house on the open market by a set date. If it's not sold by that date, they will buy it in part exchange.

The way they arrived at a part exchange value was to base it on an 8-10 week sale price based upon the value of a surveyor and an estate agent.

Thankfully my house sold on the open market, otherwise I'd be a few £k worse of if I had to go down the part-ex route.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course not.

I'll give you an Assured sale right now. PM me. I guarantee to get your property sold.

Price any property low enough and it will sell fast.
  • Mickyduff
    Options
    Thanks sultanabran. The deal for us would be we are given the time to sell our property but the builder will buy it at market value on the date of exchange IF it hasn't sold.

To me though there's so many variables in there, I feel uneasy signing anything. We can't afford a drop in our house value as the cost of change we are looking at is maxed out.
  • Mickyduff
    Options
    G_M if were expected to pay the builder 2015 prices for their new build then I'd expect them to honour their promise of a 2017 full market rate valuation price on ours.

If they won't play fair then the deal is a no go.
  • sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Mickyduff wrote: »
    Thanks sultanabran. The deal for us would be we are given the time to sell our property but the builder will buy it at market value on the date of exchange IF it hasn't sold.

To me though there's so many variables in there, I feel uneasy signing anything. We can't afford a drop in our house value as the cost of change we are looking at is maxed out.

I guess you would need to get them to confirm in writing when you reserve that they would pay market value and how its decided what market value is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure