Where can I get a free copy of my decree absolute?

I've lost my decree absolute and I need to get a copy of it. The cheapest way I've found of getting a copy is using HM Courts Service who will charge £40.

Does anyone know of a cheaper or free way of obtaining a copy of this document?

Thanks in advance

Vicki Y

Comments

• yorksbabe
    yorksbabe Posts: 202 Forumite
    hi, when i was getting married to my hubby he had to get a copy of his absolute from his 1st marriage. We just went to the courts paid £1 and waited an hour
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Ask your ex for a photocopy....but if you need it for anything official it will probably have to be the original or a certified copy...from the Courts Service.

Have you contacted the court where it was granted? They may be able to give you a copy for less than £40 (which I assume is by phone/mail order?)
  • yorksbabe wrote: »
    hi, when i was getting married to my hubby he had to get a copy of his absolute from his 1st marriage. We just went to the courts paid £1 and waited an hour

:T :T
    Exactly what I was going to say I just rang the court where divorce was granted they confirmed the info and told me what to write in the letter and enclose a cheque for £1 had the absolute within 10 days
    :j:love: Getting married to the man of my dreams 5th November 2011 :love::j
  • thats great to hear,im such a dumbo i cant even remember if i applied for the absolute, (young and dumb eh),ive got my nisi here so ive contacted my cout via email today to see if they can help.fingers crossed,thanks for the advice x
  • frames1_uk
    frames1_uk Posts: 710 Forumite
    The £40 is the cost for having the nisi made absolute, so it sounds as if you didn't do that. Further copies will only be a nominal cost from the Courts, remember to write down your Court case number, as it is easier and cheaper to get copies then.
  • MacyG
    MacyG Posts: 1 Newbie
    As at March 2010, replacement Decree Absolutes are available from the court, while you wait, for a fee of £5.00, providing you know your case number. Your case number will have been on the original Decree Absolute and on the top right corner of any other paperwork you received from the court at that time. It will also have been on any solicitor's paperwork relating to your divorce.

If you don't have a case number, the court will need to know the full names of you and your ex-spouse and the dates or approximate dates. They will then do a search and provide a replacement Decree Absolute at a cost of £40.00.

Hope this helps :)
  • mackemdave
    mackemdave Posts: 769 Forumite
    shaznstubs wrote: »
    thats great to hear,im such a dumbo i cant even remember if i applied for the absolute, (young and dumb eh),ive got my nisi here so ive contacted my cout via email today to see if they can help.fingers crossed,thanks for the advice x

Id be very worried if you didnt apply for your absolute......especially if you have more assets now than you did at the time...Your ex could still make a claim...did you get a consent order?
  • What if you don't know the court that granted you the divorce?
    I have a letter from a court that has the terms of the maintenance to be paid, is it likely this is the same court?
  • mackemdave
    mackemdave Posts: 769 Forumite
    Yes it should be
  • I lost my decree too. I wrote a letter to the county court and they posted it out to me within 2weeks only cost £5 (by cheque) and the cost of postage for both. :o
    Vicki_Y wrote: »
    I've lost my decree absolute and I need to get a copy of it. The cheapest way I've found of getting a copy is using HM Courts Service who will charge £40.

Does anyone know of a cheaper or free way of obtaining a copy of this document?

Thanks in advance

Vicki Y
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family