Aktiv Kapital (UK) - Who Are They?

Comments

• I tried to swap a credit card over to another 0% this week only to be told that there was something adverse on my credit report so it would not go ahead. I was surprised as I did check my credit report at the end of 2005 because I was getting a mortgage and it was fine, I have kept it clean ever since.

I got another credit report from expedia yesterday to find that there is an entry for Aktiv Kapital with a balance of £460 which defaulted on 18/07/2001 -I have no idea what this is for! I did have an amound outstanding with barclays but I paid that off years ago so it should not be on my credit report now.

I have not received any correspondence from Aktiv Kapital so I have no idea when or if they are going to contact me regarding this amount. I found this forum very helpful yesterday - there seem to be so many people in a similar situation. I noticed that people are talking about this 6 year thing, it will be 6 years on 18/07/2007 but do I wait for this time or should I send a letter now asking what it's for?(the I do not aknowledge this debt..........) I am very confused and really want to know what the hell this debt is!!

Any thoughts would be a great help

• file_wizzard
    file_wizzard Posts: 879 Forumite
    becky07 wrote: »
    I tried to swap a credit card over to another 0% this week only to be told that there was something adverse on my credit report so it would not go ahead. I was surprised as I did check my credit report at the end of 2005 because I was getting a mortgage and it was fine, I have kept it clean ever since.

I got another credit report from expedia yesterday to find that there is an entry for Aktiv Kapital with a balance of £460 which defaulted on 18/07/2001 -I have no idea what this is for! I did have an amound outstanding with barclays but I paid that off years ago so it should not be on my credit report now.

I have not received any correspondence from Aktiv Kapital so I have no idea when or if they are going to contact me regarding this amount. I found this forum very helpful yesterday - there seem to be so many people in a similar situation. I noticed that people are talking about this 6 year thing, it will be 6 years on 18/07/2007 but do I wait for this time or should I send a letter now asking what it's for?(the I do not aknowledge this debt..........) I am very confused and really want to know what the hell this debt is!!

Any thoughts would be a great help

If you believe the amount has been settled then I would just sit tight for the next month or so and wait for the entry to naturally expire from your file.

If for any reason it does not then you should raise a notice of dispute directly with the Credit Reference agency who should then ensure the entry is removed as time expired.

I really wouldn’t bother getting involved with Aktiv / Thames unless you have too
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • becky07
    becky07 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you believe the amount has been settled then I would just sit tight for the next month or so and wait for the entry to naturally expire from your file.

If for any reason it does not then you should raise a notice of dispute directly with the Credit Reference agency who should then ensure the entry is removed as time expired.

I really wouldn’t bother getting involved with Aktiv / Thames unless you have too

thanks for your help
  • Ayrshire_2
    Ayrshire_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Hi again,

Before i fill you in on the next 'stage' of the harassment my father is receiving i just wanted to say to the most recent posters ..... please please please read the thread and take the advice of those wise people that have trod this path before. This crowd will use every underhand ploy they can think of to bully you into paying a debt which is over 6yrs old or in my fathers case, isn't even your debt (and over 6yrs to boot!). Stay the course .... if you have to do something to help you sleep then please use the letters mentioned and DO NOT admit liability for the debt.

Anyways.... i got a call from my dad today and knew by the tone of his voice he was worried about something. After the small talk i asked "What's up"...... the reply was as i expected..."ehm... eh.. well ... i got another one of those eh.. you know... letters........ they're going to send people to the door". Eureka ... you mean you got ANOTHER "last chance" letter? ..... and so it continues. I've come home tonight and this is the letter he's received.

This letter is dated 18th May 2007 and is from P.I.B. Parkgate Investigation Bureau, PO Box 533, Rotherham. S62 6WW. The bottem of the letter says it's a division of Interaction SErvices Ltd. Registered Office 12 Hope Street Edinburgh. EH2 4DB (not far from my work actually.... maybe i should visit them and tell them i'm a reporter following up a harassment story :-) )

Now the letter >>>>

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: AKTIV KAPITAL FIRST INVESTMENT
    Reference: blah blah
    Client Reference: blah blah
    Amount due to be passed for investigation: £1315.64

Your account is in the process of being referred to this office.

As you have failed to make arrangements for payment of the above account we have been instructed to open enquires into your current financial position. If you wish to avoid the commencement of our enquires you should call Debt Managers Ltd on the telephone number below.

Should you fail to call DEBT MANAGERS LIMITED within the next 3 days your documents will be passed to ourselves or a doorstop collector. We will arrange for a visit from a collector or one of our trace and audit investigators will be instructed.

This amount will remain registered as an unpaid debt in our InvestigationBureau until your account is paid.

New Investigations Co-ordinator.

Well ..... i can see why my dad was worried.... these guys mean business. Jings they nearly had me worried.

So heres what puzzles me.

- we've now seen at least 3 or 4 'last chance' letters.....how many chances do they give?

- what happened to the court proceedings promised in the last letter?

- how many times will 'your documents' be passed from one party to another. As it stands the original debt was sold/passed to AK.... who passed it to Debt Managers... they then passed it to some solicitors...Russel and something... and now we have P.I.B....i'm losing count now. Oh i nearly forgot ... they are going to pass it to a doorstop collector as well.

Now the questions ....

1) Is this the first time this letter has been seen on here? I'm sure my new friend Sarah (squelch 123) must have received this ... either that it'll be in the post soon.

2) Have they (i.e. everyone in the chain thus far) broken any data protection rules? How can 'your documents' be passed from person to person, business to business? (sorry that's 2 questions in one :-))

3) Why didn't they take my dad to court? That's what they said would happen if we didn't get in touch last time!

4) What is the next step for my dad? Should we sit tight and see what else happens?..... see if they 'turn up' at the door? ...... should we seek legal advice to claim for breach of data protection, harassment and the likes? ... what can 'we' do to stop companies like this bullying people in this manner?

As always i welcome any feedback, comments, advice re the above. If you haven't been following my post then you can find them further back in this thread (especially if your just getting the first letters).

Keep fighting these chancers.....don't let them intimidate you and steal your money!!!

Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Craig.
  • squelch123
    squelch123 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hello Craig,

Guess what! Yep I have exactly this same letter as your Dad has got. Do tell him not to worry - these people are continually chipping away at people in the hope that they get so worried they pay up. That is how they make their money. I refuse to let them get to me. This is not my debt, so there is no entry therefore on my credit report showing that I ever had an agreement with Aktiv Kapital or any of these other companies stated on the variety of letters I have received so they cannot put a default against me as there is nothing to default against. Hence why they keep writing to me trying to scaremonger me to pay up. Craig, check the phone number on the latest letter - and indeed all of the letters actually - it is the same phone number as Debt Managers (the first letter I ever received from these creatures), so how come they keep sending different company letters attempting to make us think these are different companies? Debtline said this is harrasement and there is a template letter that can be sent. I'm still staying silent though not sending anything or calling them - after all I do have that right legally anyway to stay silent - so let them prove I owe this debt - as I always have decided to do.
    You don't have to speak to anyone should they call or turn up at your door (I'm sure they won't), and no one apart from a Court Bailiff should be or can be legally negotiated with..and the only way you'll get a court bailiff at your door is if the court issue them to! And guess what - I still have NO letters from the courts regarding the court action AK were supposedly taking I can't remember how many letters ago....surprise surprise.
    I can't tell your Dad what to do Craig, but do tell him not to worry - I'm staying silent again. Let's see what the next letter is we get.....

After all this is over, I will think about how to deal with them legally - this just has to be reported - I was thinking Watchdog for definate to start with.

Speak soon, Sarah. :rotfl:
  • Sarah I agree with what you are doing. I am also taking the view that as they are chasing something statute barred they will be dealt with accordingly, ie IGNORED.

If anyone reading does feel threatened by doorstep agents and wants something to write back here is a couple of examples.

Regarding your threat that a Doorstep Collector will call I deny you or anybody working on your behalf access onto the estate or grounds of this property in relation to the alleged debt, should you or any agent acting for you attempt to gain access to the estate or its grounds, then you will be ignoring your denial of access legal steps will be taken to sue both you and or your agents for trespass, please also note that having a letterbox on the property gives you or anyone working on your behalf neither implied nor expressed rights to enter the properties boundaries, again any instances of trespass WILL lead me to sue both yourselves or any agents working on your behalf

or

Please be advised that I am only prepared to communicate with you in writing and therefore, if it remains your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Therefore, please take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you or your representatives to visit me at my property, and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass. You would also be conspiring in a trespass if you sent someone to visit me nevertheless. Should it be necessary, I will obtain an injunction.
  • Ayrshire_2
    Ayrshire_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Hi Sarah,

I'm with you 100% ... i've told him not to worry, reassured him that this crowd are a bunch of so & so's etc. He just panics when he gets another letter so i can see how some people would cave in and pay this lot.

Like you he's had several ... this is it or we're taking you to court. Hurry up then..... stop wasting all the paper on threats and raise the court action. Oh aye you can't because you have nothing to go on.

I'm also mega p'd off with the constant chasing and threats of these people and would love to be able to turn the tables on them ...... watchdog for me too .... and/or legal steps if i can find any avenues.

As always i'll keep you updated when the court letter arrives next ...... or yet another 'last chance' letter.

Stay the distance !!

Take care,

Craig.
  • yonkie
    yonkie Posts: 3 Newbie
    i too have received numerous letters from debt management chasing an unknown(to me)debt to aktiv kapital.they have also offered the usual discount as long as i gave up without a fuss and paid.the last but one letter threatened court proceedings in the Rotherham county court.i have no intention of paying as it is clearly a scam,and after reading the forum,there are the following connections:
    aktiv kapital use debt management ltd,
    debt management ltd;registered office 12 hope st edinburgh.they want to take me to rotherham county court.
    aktiv kapital also use parkgate invest; bureau, who have offices in rotherham.
    p.i.b. say they are part of interaction services.
    interaction services registered office is 12 hope st edinburgh!!!
    these people need to be stopped.:mad:
  • squelch123
    Hi Craig,

Today (Wed 30th May) I have received a white telegram type envelope from TNT post that states to 'open by the perforations' a bit like a wage slip type envelope - inside it says:" I confirm I will be calling between 5.30pm and 7.30pm If inconvenient please contact Mr Scott on 0870 050 1041, Regards, Mr J White from Debt Managers Ltd, 4 Jamaica Street, Edinburgh, EH3 6UP". But I have not idea which date they are talking about or whether they are phoning or visiting! I look forward to hearing from these people!! Bring it on......note: the same phone number again.......what happened to the investigation bureau also? Oh, and the deb recovery issue from Russell & Aitken?.....I am not sure if I'll answer the phone/door or not should a creature surface, and also not sure if I'll tell them my name......I'll let you know how I get on....I am actually looking forward to this!
    Updates later...Sarah
    I bet your bottom dollar no one turns up at my door.......
  • squelch123
    Hi Craig and all,

Well, I was shopping in Tesco between 5.30pm and 7.30pm this evening and getting a puncture fixed on my car so I have no idea if anyone turned up, and there was no 'calling' note left through my door and no phone message......
    i wait in anticipation to see their next action!
    Will update as soon as I get one!
    Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family