Maximising income - Mystery Shopping? Surveys? (Part Two)

Comments

• trubster
    trubster Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    . . . . as is the same all the time on gapbuster... the "Gap Vultures" were clogging up the site... lol
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • It's really slow again this morning. Think it's all the greasy burger jobs that no-one wants that are clogging the system up!!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I am having fun with a dry cleaners. They sent my duvet off to a part of the company that were on annual leave, then when it eventually came back they phoned to say the tickets had come off 3 duvets could I come and identify mine. It has taken over a month!
    I also completed a pub job and had my food served within 6 minutes. I saw someone else having their meal brought out after me and they had been before me in the queue! I think they should change what you have to buy slightly in each scenario, as the companys must know what to look out for sometimes.:beer:
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nickik1970 wrote: »
    I saw someone else having their meal brought out after me and they had been before me in the queue! I think they should change what you have to buy slightly in each scenario, as the companys must know what to look out for sometimes.:beer:

Did you mention this in your report? I wonder if these companies actually take any notice of the observations we make outside the ones asked. I've mentioned numerous times about the receipt thing at a burger joint, the whole place comes alive as soon as I ask for a receipt :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • jo1972 wrote: »
    Did you mention this in your report? I wonder if these companies actually take any notice of the observations we make outside the ones asked. I've mentioned numerous times about the receipt thing at a burger joint, the whole place comes alive as soon as I ask for a receipt :rotfl:

I know what you mean about the burger ones, sometimes its the chicken ones as well. I find it sooooo funny and sometimes if I have time I sie and watch laughing to myself.
    cross stitch cafe #90 UFO's 6 to finish in 2013, and loads of new kits to boot
    Refunded bank overdraft charges £915 :j
    SPC 2007-2008 #078 aim £500-£341.67
    SPC 2011-2012 #078 aim £500-£426.42
    SPC 2012-2013 #078aim £500 - TBC
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Ha!! Have just done a chicken one and THANK THE LORD for some reason the two (seperate) people in front of me asked for receipts!! No idea why but the increase in output from staff nearly made some of them burst!

Burger was manky but for a premium I'll do (almost) anything!

Edit: look at my post count! :eek:
  • newnhak
    newnhak Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I have just taken redundancy and decided I would give mystery shopping a go. My partner used to work for Cybershoppers and when he was with them they paid petrol expenses and so he managed to make a reasonable amount of money over the year. However I have now registerd and it appears that payment of petrol has now stopped. Cybershoppers just pay a flat fee for each job - is this correct? If so I don't think I am going to take much work from them as most of the visits offered so far have been too far away to be viable - can anyone tell me which if any of the other companies pay better or is it just luck of the draw? (i.e whether the companies assignments happen to be near you)

Thanks

Karen
  • Bad news I'm afraid - all MS companies pay far less than they used to, so unless a petrol allowance is specified you are unlikely to get one! Lots of companies have many jobs where they don't pay at all nowadays, or just a free meal.....

Sorry for the bad news. I wouldn't consider trying to make a living MSing - too poorly paid - but it is fun as a backup job. :)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • wensie
    wensie Posts: 179 Forumite
    newnhak wrote: »
    Hi

... can anyone tell me which if any of the other companies pay better or is it just luck of the draw? (i.e whether the companies assignments happen to be near you)

Thanks

Karen

One possibility to get to the higher paid jobs is to start with the lower paid jobs and lots of patience. But even those higher paid jobs don't necessarily pay enough to make a living. There are few people around who can make a living from it (I'm not one of them - yet?) but they are in the business for many years and have built up a very good reputation with the companies.

I would certainly not rely on just one company but sign up with at least all of the companies mentioned on the first page.
  • Thanks for the replies regarding the petrol expenses. I just wanted to check I was right. I understand Mystery shopping isn't going to make you rich - my partner made about £3K the first year he did it. But the assignments I am getting are so far away I would be running at a loss by the time I paid to get there and back. I guess I will have to sign on to a few other companies and hope I get something a bit nearer.

Karen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport