Maximising income - Mystery Shopping? Surveys? (Part Two)

Comments

• josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Is anyone having trouble getting onto the TNS site?

Do you have any other link than the one on page one, as there's no link to mystery shopping on the home page and the one in my favourites is coming up with a strange error msg tonight!

Thanks in advance, folks
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    How rude jobbing musician... I am new to this an feel deeply offended by you laughing at my incompetence :) (Just Kidding)
    It's just that I now have 3 mystery shopper jobs sorted out and I want to do it all legally.
    Need to get a national insurance excempt certifictae in the next 3 months and will also have to have a look at the self assesment thing on line.
    I'm assuming that I have to pay all my tax in one go (by sept 08?????)
    Not really sure how much to put aside for this every month out of what I earn or really how I should track what i have incoming.... Ahh help me i'm in too deep!!!!!!!!

I just keep a very simple spreadsheet with expenditure and income and keep a running total. Don't forget 40p per mile travel expenses and 6p per sheet for all those pages you have to fill out. It soon adds up and if you "remember" to include all your expenses you'll probably find you won't owe anything, if you get my drift...
  • joughtib
    joughtib Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm desperately trying to pass the GFK Training Test, and I'm getting some wrong, and I'm sure it's to do with the Subjective/Objective/Neither questions! Aaaargh!
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    IR owe me tax from my proper job so the only way I could get it was to do my tax return for my £50 of MS last yr!! No efficiency - just want my bathroom done.....................
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    josie wrote: »
    Is anyone having trouble getting onto the TNS site?

Do you have any other link than the one on page one, as there's no link to mystery shopping on the home page and the one in my favourites is coming up with a strange error msg tonight!

Yes, I was having probs last night as well. Seems OK this morning (OMG, and they are based in the UK - their computer support people must be true geeks who have been working all night! :eek: )
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    How rude jobbing musician... I am new to this an feel deeply offended by you laughing at my incompetence :) (Just Kidding)
    It's just that I now have 3 mystery shopper jobs sorted out and I want to do it all legally.
    Need to get a national insurance excempt certifictae in the next 3 months and will also have to have a look at the self assesment thing on line.
    I'm assuming that I have to pay all my tax in one go (by sept 08?????)
    Not really sure how much to put aside for this every month out of what I earn or really how I should track what i have incoming.... Ahh help me i'm in too deep!!!!!!!!

Lol - sorry, it hadn't even occurred to me that it might be rude to show you I was curled up laughing - it was just such a horrid idea that we might have to do our tax calcs and pay tax every month! :o

OK, here's what happens. You are working now in the tax year 2007-8. You've got the right idea about when you will have to pay, but in fact it's even later than that - if you really want to pay your tax as late as possible (not recommended as you will get into a panic like I did in Jan this year) then you can submit your return at the end of Jan 2009, and pay then. The really good news is that if you claim everything possible (and because MS is so badly paid anyway) you'll find you owe very little tax.

Supposing you do a job where you go to a pub or restaurant, get paid £5 plus mileage at 22p a mile totalling £2.20, and £20 for your meal.

Write it all down nicely. THe £20 is not taxable. You travelled 10 miles, and the Inland Revenue allowance is 40p a mile, so in tax terms you spent £4 on mileage but were reimbursed £2.20 YOu can claim another £1.80.

YOu logged on to the computer to get the work, and printed out 10 pages of instructions on this occasion. YOu can claim 6p to cover your ink and paper for each sheet you printed. THat's another 60p, and I'd claim 50p for the online time looking for work and the envelope. You posted some info back to them, but it was a freepost address on this occasion, so this time you are not claiming for a stamp.

Total expenses = £4 mileage + 60p printing + 50p online time/env = £5.10, of which you have been refunded £3 from the company.

Total profit = £5 fee - £2.10 = £2.90

Tax on £2.90 at 22% is 64p, which is how much you might like to squirrel away unless you are a higher rate tax payer. If the job was for TNS you will already have been taxed, so you don't have to worry, just keep your records (if it was for TNS you can claim some mileage back later because of the fact their mileage rate is lower than 40p a mile :D)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • moneymaker2
    moneymaker2 Posts: 449 Forumite
    How would you recommend setting this out in a book?

Company: Expenses: ????????

Help please so so new to all of this.
  • ilean
    ilean Posts: 93 Forumite
    Hi
    Have bar visits to be done this weekend in:

Bradford (must have excel)
    Grimsby (must have excel)
    Hartlepool
    Ashington
    Hexham
    Isle of Wight
    Barnstaple
    Berwick Upon Tweed
    Richmond-(DL10 4AE)
    Peterlee

Anyone interested and available please email me with the area you are interested in and your age
    Thanks
    Eileen
    Business Blue Prints

Eflaherty1@yahoo.co.uk
  • moneymaker2
    moneymaker2 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Hi Ilean,

Anything for Nottingham I would be interested in.

Let me know if you have anything in the future.
    Thanks
  • ilean
    ilean Posts: 93 Forumite
    Hi all shoppers
    Am looking for new faces to do restaurant visits as a couple or family to the following areas:

Wandsworth
    SW18 4TF

And

Middlesex
    TW18 4WB

And

Basingstoke
    RG21 7BE

must have excel

Anyone interested or have any questions please don’t hesitate to drop me a line
    Thanks
    Eileen
    Business Blue Prints
    Eflaherty1@yahoo.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business