PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Options

Comments

• Irishmummyof2
    Options
    We had this last week and i froze some of the leftovers. Dh left it out of the freezer last night by mistake, so i am wondering is it ok to use tomorrow or will i better using it tonight?
    Thanks
    Patricia
    I would like to be able to admire a man’s opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I'm no expert but if it were me I'd take a chance and have it tomorrow. Long as its gone from freezer to fridge it should be ok I'd have thought.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • in-it-to-win-it_4
    Options
    If I cook a whole chicken. Strip it and store some in the fridge how long can I keep it for. Also if I freeze some is it ok to reheat once defrosted. Does it freeze ok just plain or is it better in a sauce of some kind?

I've worked out how much I have been spending on cooked meat for packed lunchs for me and the oh and it's stupid amounts of almost £7 a week. I could surely buy a small bargain chicken, a cheap block of cheese, some eggs and value bacon and make it go a lot further????
    Keeper of 2 children, 2 dogs, 2 cats & thankful that you can only have 1 husband at a time.
  • wendyl1967
    wendyl1967 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would only keep it as long as the date it said on the outer wrapper to use by.

I would only freeze it in a sauce.

Perhaps you could use it for a couple of evening meals as well as lunches then it would not be in the fridge for too long if it is a large chicken.
    Wendy
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have frozen chicken (cooked) by itself but on defrosting it really needed to go in a sauce. CHicken is not the best as it does not last as well as other meats - how about a small ham joint; there is a thread elsewhere discussing what joints work well.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    What about non-meat alternatives for lunch? Batch make a pasta bake or take leftovers to be reheated? Egg mayo, BLT, banana, cup-a-soup, Mug Shots?
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    I store roasted chicken cut into pieces in the freezer but when it comes out of the freezer it goes into a sauce that will be boiled like tomato base for pasta or a bechemel/mushroom for a pie. With the pie, I put the thoroughly cooked filling in a pie plate, top with shortcrust and bake until the pastry is done so I wouldn't cool it again and cook the next day or reheat the leftovers.
  • jacksons_mum
    jacksons_mum Posts: 905 Forumite
    Options
    it will keep for 3 days once cooked (including the day you cooked it). it freezes fine on its own - i strip it, split into portions, put in freezer bags, freeze it then defrost it and use in sauces, on sandwiches, or whatever else you want it for. it will keep for 4 days once defrosted (including day got out e.g get out on wed will keep until sat). it is fine to reheat but only once and make sure you reheat to 75 degrees (piping hot).
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, :)

I've just added your post onto an earlier thread to help keep all the Q&A's together in one place.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Andybez38
    Andybez38 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    If i were to cook a couple of fresh chichen breasts tonight, for sandwiches/ stirfry etc how long would they keep in the fridge in an airtight bag/tub?
    I came into this world with nothing and I'm gonna leave with nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure