Boost Your Airmiles Discussion Area

Comments

• m00head
    m00head Posts: 147 Forumite
    digiland wrote: »
    Thanks for your post. I think you will find that you get just one pound for every 4 points at Tesco with the Clubcard Credit card in addition to the points you get on your ordinary clubcard.
    The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 1 bonus credit card points.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 25 bonus points = 125 points.
    250 points (£1.25 in vouchers) = 30 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 30 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £3.33 spent.
    You mention the older the better, is the 6 bonus points for £4 a feature of the older cards? Just wanted to make sure people considering this card know the current scheme.

I personally use my Lloyds Amex card to buy everything I can and when Amex is not accepted I use my Tesco Clubcard Credit Card.

I assume you meant to write "one point for every 4 pounds at Tesco" and not what you actually wrote: "one pound for every 4 points at Tesco".

If you follow this link you will see where I got my points information from:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=6932815#post6932815

Yes, in my example I have made the assumption that the original Tesco Clubcard credit card is used and not the newer version. You get 6 bonus points for every £4 spent in Tesco with the older version, as opposed to only 5 bonus points for every £4 spent in Tesco with the newer version.

Note, there is a difference in points if you spend on the Tesco Clubcard credit card within Tesco vs. outside Tesco - which is the point I was trying to make in the examples I gave.

In the link above you'll see that you get 6 bonus points (5 on the new card) for every £4 spent within Tesco, but only 2 bonus points (1 on the new card) for every £4 spent outside Tesco. Now I see why they call it a loyalty card... :)

Therefore, I assume that it is not possible to get £3.33 per Airmile in your example, as you need to spend £4 outside Tesco to only get 1 bonus point using the new credit card, and of course the standard 4 Clubcard points are not available outside Tesco.

So your example (spending £100 in Tesco on the new Tesco Clubcard credit card) now looks like this:

In Tesco
    The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 5 bonus credit card points.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 125 bonus points = 225 points.
    225 points (£2.25 in vouchers) = 54 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 54 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £1.85 spent.

Outside Tesco (excluding Shell for comparison purposes)
    The maths: £4 spent = 1 bonus credit card point.
    Spend £100 outside Tesco, you get 25 bonus clubcard points.
    25 points (£0.25 in vouchers) = 6 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 6 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £16.67 spent.

In summary, you are correct to use the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express outside Tesco where possible (especially at Shell where you can also use the Shell Drivers Club to get even more). However, when shopping at Tesco it is better to use your Tesco Clubcard credit card.

Could they possibly make it any more complicated!?
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    how do you know which is the old/new tesco cc

thanks
  • mrs_lds wrote: »

thanks

You can't get the old card now, the cards are the same it's just the points that have changed. New applicants get the lower points. I have no idea when the scheme was changed.
  • m00head wrote: »
    I assume you meant to write "one point for every 4 pounds at Tesco" and not what you actually wrote: "one pound for every 4 points at Tesco".

If you follow this link you will see where I got my points information from:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=6932815&postcount=3

Yes, in my example I have made the assumption that the original Tesco Clubcard credit card is used and not the newer version. You get 6 bonus points for every £4 spent in Tesco with the older version, as opposed to only 5 bonus points for every £4 spent in Tesco with the newer version.

Note, there is a difference in points if you spend on the Tesco Clubcard credit card within Tesco vs. outside Tesco - which is the point I was trying to make in the examples I gave.

In the link above you'll see that you get 6 bonus points (5 on the new card) for every £4 spent within Tesco, but only 2 bonus points (1 on the new card) for every £4 spent outside Tesco. Now I see why they call it a loyalty card... :)

Therefore, I assume that it is not possible to get £3.33 per Airmile in your example, as you need to spend £4 outside Tesco to only get 1 bonus point using the new credit card, and of course the standard 4 Clubcard points are not available outside Tesco.

So your example (spending £100 in Tesco on the new Tesco Clubcard credit card) now looks like this:

In Tesco
    The maths: £4 spent = 4 Clubcard points + 5 bonus credit card points.
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 125 bonus points = 225 points.
    225 points (£2.25 in vouchers) = 54 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 54 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £1.85 spent.

Outside Tesco (excluding Shell for comparison purposes)
    The maths: £4 spent = 1 bonus credit card point.
    Spend £100 outside Tesco, you get 25 bonus clubcard points.
    25 points (£0.25 in vouchers) = 6 Airmiles.
    £100 spend divided by 6 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £16.67 spent.

In summary, you are correct to use the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo American Express outside Tesco where possible (especially at Shell where you can also use the Shell Drivers Club to get even more). However, when shopping at Tesco it is better to use your Tesco Clubcard credit card.

Could they possibly make it any more complicated!?

OOOOPS, yes I did mean one point for every 4 pounds, not one pound for every 4 points, brain not in quite in gear and this is a very complicated topic.;)

Sorry but this is still wrong and the link you gave is wrong too. I found out for myself when first using my Clubcard Credit Card that you only get 1 bonus point from Tesco Personal Finance for every £4 spent in Tesco not 5 as you state.

The literature is very misleading but the 5 points for every £4 you spend in Tesco using the Clubcard Credit Card includes the 4 points you get anyway.

I think an easier way to understand it is that the Clubcard Credit Card is actually also a clubcard. When you pay by Clubcard Credit Card you don't give your regular clubcard to the checkout person, believe me I have tried to get the extra points but they only need the credit card. I now have Clubcard statement coming for my regualr card and my Credit Card. The credit card number is also a clubcard number.

As documented many times before on other threads most new Clubcard Credit Card users find this very confusing thinking the 5 points for £4 card spend is in addition to the regualr points, but sadly it isn't, it's only 1 extra point. I think the clue is in the name 'Clubcard' Credit Card, not just Credit Card.

In Tesco
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 100 clubcard points + 25 bonus points = 125 points.
    125 points (£1.25 in vouchers) = 30 Airmiles.

It's Better to use LLoyds Amex to Pay in Tesco.
    Spend £100 in Tesco get 100 points = £1 voucher = 24 Airmiles, plus £100 on Lloyds Amex Card = 10 Airmiles so total is 34 Airmiles, better than 30 Airmiles paying by Tesco Credit Card in Tesco.

Outside Tesco
    Correct 1 Airmile for every £16.67 spent.
    I use my Tesco Credit card where LLoyds Amex is not accepted as only get 1 Airmile for every £50 when using Lloyds Mastercard, part of the LLoyds Duo Airmiles card scheme.

Very complicated but works for me.
  • rvd_08
    rvd_08 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi all,

Been reading through this thread and its all very helpful! I am saving airmiles, I have got a Tesco club card a lloyds airmiles cc. I do all our shopping and petrol at tesco using both cards. Mum and dad have even linked their tesco card with our so they can boost our account! Am I doing the best I can? is there anything i'm missing? We are renting so can't do the mortgage or changing power supplier thing. Thanks!
    :rotfl: ¸¸.·´°¤AIRMILES NEEDED: 3,000¤°`·.¸¸:rotfl:
    :confused: AIRMILES SAVED : 705 :wall:
    TESCO POINTS: 1709
    :A
  • m00head
    m00head Posts: 147 Forumite
    mrs_lds wrote: »

thanks

The newer cards look like this (Tesco Bonus Credit Card on top and Tesco Clubcard Credit Card underneath):
    http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/bonuscc/index.jsp

The older Tesco Clubcard Credit Card looks like this (the same designs are still used on these cards):
    http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/already-got.html

Old cards were replaced with the new ones around mid-2006, but older card customers were not forced to switch onto the new ones.

Sorry, I've managed to turn this Airmiles thread into another Tesco Clubcard thread... :)
    The proper one for that is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=213516
  • woZa
    woZa Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi. I have been reading through this excellent post (and the Tesco clubcard one) to work out how best to save for airmiles.

I think the best way to get airmiles via Tesco is to sign up for a clubcard plus.

This gives you double points when shopping at Tesco so using the example above...

In Tesco with Clubcard Plus
    £4 spent = 8 Clubcard points (no bonus for tesco credit card or lloyds tsb airmiles card as you use the clubcard plus to pay with)
    Spend £100 in Tesco, you get 200 clubcard points
    200 points (£2.00 in vouchers) = 48 Airmiles
    £100 spend divided by 48 Airmiles = 1 Airmile for every £2.08 spent.

In Tesco
    125 points (£1.25 in vouchers) = 30 Airmiles.

LLoyds Amex to Pay in Tesco.
    Spend £100 in Tesco get 100 points = £1 voucher = 24 Airmiles, plus £100 on Lloyds Amex Card = 10 Airmiles so total is 34 Airmiles, better than 30 Airmiles paying by Tesco Credit Card in Tesco.
    £100 spend gives 34 Airmiles

Outside Tesco
    Correct 1 Airmile for every £16.67 spent.
    I use my Tesco Credit card where LLoyds Amex is not accepted as only get 1 Airmile for every £50 when using Lloyds Mastercard, part of the LLoyds Duo Airmiles card scheme.

Think I have that right?!
  • woZa
    Get 70 miles for free - sign up to lovefilm.com (for a free 2 week trial) to get 40 airmiles & subscribe to The Week (free 6 week trial) for 30 miles. Under Books, Music & Games...

Don't forget to cancel before the trials expire or else you will be charged.
  • woZa
    Get a Shell Drivers Card and register online before 31 Dec 2008 with the promo code AMTR10 and airmiles reward and get triple airmiles for 2 months.
  • Does anyone know how long the clubcard vouchers usually take to appear as Airmiles once you've converted them at the Tesco website. The website says 'upto 28 days', but has anyone any experience of how long it actually took. Am looking to book a flight quite soon and am slightly concerned they may not be on my account in time.

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport