Advice for a Theater newbie in London

Options
13»

Comments

• susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    redboy1 wrote: »
    Thanks Susancs. What was the view like from them stall boxes? I see there right at the back and just wondered if there a little too far back.

Was looking at them grand circle box side seats for £45 they look as if you would get a good view from them.

I personally don't like the grand (uppermost) cricle as you are so high up and I am not good with heights, so don't like looking down on the stage and performers, plus the legroom is usually poor, but I have not sat in box seats there. I would think that you probably would have an angled view of the stage, rather than look straight onto the whole stage.

The view from stall box 2 was good and nearer than you would think, you only miss the very top bit of the stage scenery as the dress circle overhangs the rear of the stalls so lowers the ceiling. In the box you are higher up than the stalls seats (so you would have to lean out to look down on the persons head in the last row). You could crouch down in the seat and view the very top of the stage scenery. The advantage is that you have no heads in the way at any point so have a clear view. You can also make a quick exit to the stalls toilets or the bar at the interval.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    When we used to drive up to London to see West End shows, we used to be able to find a parking meter on Aldwych, or in streets off the
    Strand or Kingsway. But we stopped doing that 20 years ago, as traffic got far to bad.

If you are worried about not being able to get public transport back to your hotel, why not see a matinee show, and eat after the show.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • redboy1
    redboy1 Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    susancs wrote: »
    I personally don't like the grand (uppermost) cricle as you are so high up and I am not good with heights, so don't like looking down on the stage and performers, plus the legroom is usually poor, but I have not sat in box seats there. I would think that you probably would have an angled view of the stage, rather than look straight onto the whole stage.

The view from stall box 2 was good and nearer than you would think, you only miss the very top bit of the stage scenery as the dress circle overhangs the rear of the stalls so lowers the ceiling. In the box you are higher up than the stalls seats (so you would have to lean out to look down on the persons head in the last row). You could crouch down in the seat and view the very top of the stage scenery. The advantage is that you have no heads in the way at any point so have a clear view. You can also make a quick exit to the stalls toilets or the bar at the interval.

Big thanks susanic for all your advice. Its mind boggling trying to think which show she would enjoy best for her first show. I'm now thinking phantom might be the best show, just because I know she enjoyed the film and its a classic.

If you or anyone can reccomend me the best seat I can get to say £50 each on the 6th September it would be a great help.
  • redboy1
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    When we used to drive up to London to see West End shows, we used to be able to find a parking meter on Aldwych, or in streets off the
    Strand or Kingsway. But we stopped doing that 20 years ago, as traffic got far to bad.

If you are worried about not being able to get public transport back to your hotel, why not see a matinee show, and eat after the show.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, think phantom is only on at 2.30 on a Saturday anyway.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    redboy1 wrote: »
    Big thanks susanic for all your advice. Its mind boggling trying to think which show she would enjoy best for her first show. I'm now thinking phantom might be the best show, just because I know she enjoyed the film and its a classic.

If you or anyone can reccomend me the best seat I can get to say £50 each on the 6th September it would be a great help.

You can check out seat reviews for Phantom of the Opera on Theatre monkey. You can often get offers for the show as it is less popular then other shows Timeout for example have offer seats in July, but may well have other nearer the time.
    http://www.theatremonkey.com/HER%20MAJESTYSbooking.htm
  • redboy1
    Options
    Thanks, I've booked it all now. Can't wait until nearer the time as I want the tickets to put in the misses card for her birthday.
    Got the tickets from seetickets and got stalls k27,28. There right at the side so don't know what they will be like. Got them for £53, Think its an OK deal seems other sites wanted £75/85 for the same seats.

Marriott Windsor is booked for £59 so just need to figure out how to get to the show now :)

Cheers for everyone's input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport