DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 9

Comments

• I think you must have entered something incorrectly. The suggested budget for food for 2 adults and 2 children is £412 and the maximum allowed is £505.

thats odd as when i did my debt remedy in Sept with 2 adults and 3 kids it was £230 which is whats on my plan and with the help of Aldi is doable all be it not much left for special occassions.
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • jubilee14 wrote: »
    thats odd as when i did my debt remedy in Sept with 2 adults and 3 kids it was £230 which is whats on my plan and with the help of Aldi is doable all be it not much left for special occassions.

That is definitely incorrect and when we were with StepChange, we actually had a food budget of £341 for 2 adults.

Before anyone says anything, we did/do not spend anything like this and the extra money went on interest charging debts! :o
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Mossop01
    Mossop01 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Hi julie, were have managed on £80 a week for the past 4 weeks, gone are the days of chucking anything i fancied into the trolley then having palpiations at the till when the bill was over £150!!! Eek
    Fresh fruit n veg is my downfall, but a weekly trip to the local market helps that, i can get twice as much as in supermarket.
    £60 a week will be a squeeze but im gonna give it a good go!
    As far as my first payment to SC goes, i doubt it will make any difference to my overall debt as i have some creditors who have added fees and still interest (HSBC are my new enemy) but im gonna make sure that changes!
    My main worry is the lack if emergency fund and my car needs taxing (obviously not enough yet in my car tax fund) which is rubbish timing.
    LBM Dec 2012 total debt 33,889 :eek:dmp started March 2013 DFD Dec 2024
    Nov 2015 balance £22,679 going in the right direction!!
    Onwards n upwards!:T
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mossop I know what you mean. Our emergency fund is pitiful as well and I know that dh will need to upgrade his car in the near future.
    I shop so differently now. We went to a friends last night and I was telling her that I have a fixed budget. She is very much like we used to be, goes shopping as and when she feels like it and doesn't even look at prices:eek: when I asked what her weekly budget was she had absolutely no idea. I'm so much happier the way I'm living now. It is restrictive but at least I can account for anything spent and I'm not throwing half the food away I used to.:T
    I'm currently trawling eBay and the charity shops for a bedding box. In the past I would have gone straight out and put it on the CC without a second thought. Now it's got to come in at less than £10 or we will do without.
    We really are thinking completely differently:)
    HSBC are our biggest creditor and so far have had no response to the DMP other than to continue adding charges but like you I am determine to get a positive outcome with them.
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Hi julie, ive sent numerous letters and rang hsbc and given them my ref number, but still heard nothing back from them at all, from reading pists here it looks like they have a backlog to get through! They are the only ones im yet to hear from, all the others have been reasonably quick, however when my wages dont go into hsbc overdraft on wed i think they might have something to say!
    LBM Dec 2012 total debt 33,889 :eek:dmp started March 2013 DFD Dec 2024
    Nov 2015 balance £22,679 going in the right direction!!
    Onwards n upwards!:T
  • Quarry
    Quarry Posts: 29 Forumite
    Happy Sunday to all and thanks for your helpful posts. I'm following up the links etc.
    I get my state pension in 6 years time (the government has just put it back by 18 months - helpful!) and I'll be OK then provided I have no debt.
    It's interesting to hear that StepChange are funded by the financial services industry. Their suggestion that I sell my house would certainly be best for my creditors but would leave me homeless, so not the best advice to me I don't think. I spoke to the CAB and they laughed at the suggestion. Feeling better.
    Wishing a peaceful day to all.
    Q.
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    That's interesting to hear about the Credit Union GUO. Am going to check it out, will give me an excuse for another page in my spreadsheet book too! Planning on watching 'Bank of Dave' on Thursday evening, I missed it first time around.

HHx

The Credit Union suits my purposes really well. I like the fact that they are an ethical lender and that it is owned by its members.

Unlike a bank I can't go and draw money out on a card which I know I might be tempted to do in a moment of weakness. However I can access my money the same day with just a quick phone call and I find this makes me think about what I need the money for and do I really need it? It eliminates those spur of the moment spends that got me into this mess in the first place.

Bank of Dave

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bank-of-dave/4od
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Quarry
    Quarry Posts: 29 Forumite
    It really is encouraging to read the positive experiences of so many on here.
    My cc, loan and overdraft are all with lloyds so i assume i will have to open a new account elsewhere and contact every direct debit ie energy, council tax, insurance etc to make sure it comes out of the new account?

Hello inbetweener. I understand that the new bank can handle the transfer of direct debits from your old account. I'm not sure if all banks will do this and you have to watch the timings in case there is a delay in the new payments being set up. Personally, I'd prefer to deal direct with my suppliers so that there's a record if something goes wrong.
    Q.:)
  • Hi, been reading the forum since we want on our DMP in August, and have found it really useful to know we are not alone.

The DMP has been going well with all creditors agreeing to payments and a good number stopping interest.

We have had a couple of letters from Lloyds this week saying we can move our overdrafts to their consumer debt recovery department which will permenantly stop the interest. This seems like a good idea, as Lloyds have been the only creditor to be difficult and not stop interest.

Are there any downsides with taking this option?

My other question is regarding mortgages. We are currently on a great rate, having switched to a tracker just before interest rates fell, and currently on a rate of 1.7%. Only trouble is the deal will run out in October and our monthly payment will go thought the roof. Can anyone suggest a good place to look at remortgaging whilst on a DMP? We are currently with C&G and as most of our debt is with Lloyds, I can't see them wanting to give us a good deal! I'm thinking about going interest only for a few years, to keep monthly payments lower and clear our unsecured debt ASAP.

Any advice welcome!

With a DMP you are unlikely to get a good rate with a new lender, as your credit file will look awful! The only option you have is to try to get a new fixed rate with your current lender. If they wont give you a fixed rate then you just have to go on your current lenders SVR. This is one of the major downsides of a DMP.
    As regards interest only, most lenders will not allow this now unless you have a payment vehicle in place. Also, if you can afford the repayment mortgage I really would stick with that- even if you could go on interest only for a bit, you would have to make up the shortfall at some stage.
    I am very envious of the rate you have had up to now though! Good luck, the mortgage on a DMP thing gave me months of sleepless nights. We ended up getting a 5 year fix with our current lender, but I don't know what will happen in 5 years.
  • Hi everyone, all going good here. First payment to stepchange goes out on the 1st March. A few creditors have frozen interest and one has even said they are defaulting me.
    The only panic I had was when I tried to set up for my DMP payment to be paid to my halifax account from my natwest new one, I didnt know I needed a card reader and it wont arrive on time. Luckily a friend has agreed to lend me theirs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure