What's in a name.....

ample_samples_1980
ample_samples_1980 Posts: 159 Forumite
edited 6 August 2014 at 9:36AM in Compers chat corner
Do you think a surname has any affect to winning comps??

It was just something that crossed my mind the other day, I have no idea if it does or not – I am unable to google my name properly as my surname is a VERY commonly use generic word so millions of results are brought back, this is what got me thinking, I wonder if some of my comps are stopped by Spam Stoppers or if they think it’s a fake entry

I have started using my maiden name for all comps except holiday/travel ones….not that I am convinced that my surname is hindering me, I just thought I would see if it makes a difference but am I allowed to do this?
2014 Wins : Aug : Retro Sweet Box, Family Tix to Leeds Dino Exhibition, 2 x Capital Cup Football Tickets, 2 x VIP Experience to the Saturdays concert

Comments

• CheCazzo
    CheCazzo Posts: 559 Forumite
    I am happy to be corrected but I believe that you may use any name you wish at any time for anything as long as your intention is not to defraud. For official documentation etc I think you have to change by deed poll. The advantage of your maiden name is that it's the one you were born with so I can't see a problem.
  • Thanks CheCazzo - Hopefully you are correct and like you say it is actually my name and I still get documentation with it on now and it 5 years on since I was married!
    2014 Wins : Aug : Retro Sweet Box, Family Tix to Leeds Dino Exhibition, 2 x Capital Cup Football Tickets, 2 x VIP Experience to the Saturdays concert
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You're allowed to have bank accounts in maiden and married names (I do - not really intentionally, it's just five years on, I'm still too lazy to change them!), so I wouldn't see there being a problem with using either for comps.
  • gholmes724
    gholmes724 Posts: 661 Forumite
    Yes your legal name is the name you chose to be known by, I worked with someone who kept her maiden name because she thought her promotion prospects would be affected if she suddenly started using a different one and going further back I knew someone who's father was a known terrorist and since he had the same name he changed it.
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 August 2014 at 10:20AM
    I think names can sometimes make a difference. My neighbour is called Myra and her husband has the surname Hindley. I have taken several parcels in for Moira but noticed she was never addressed as Myra Hindley but used her maiden surname instead. I once asked her about this and she said she was scared to change her surname to Hindley when she married in case she received abuse from people thinking she was the moors murderer Myra Hindley! She also enters competitions and says she believed 'Myra Hindley' would be an unlucky name to have!

I have seen a Kate Middleton win on Facebook before and a Sam Bailey (obviously not the famous Kate and Sam though!)

Talking of names, I used to teach and I had a little girl in my class called Crystal Clear! I will never forget that little girl because of her name!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • gholmes724
    gholmes724 Posts: 661 Forumite
    The moors murderer was Myra Hindley but too close for comfort I can imagine - I went to school with Isla Mann.
  • BlueBella wrote: »

I have seen a Kate Middleton win on Facebook before and a Sam Bailey (obviously not the famous Kate and Sam though!)

I sooo hope it is the famous Kate Middleton! ;)
    "The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming"
  • BlueBella
    gholmes724 wrote: »
    The moors murderer was Myra Hindley but too close for comfort I can imagine - I went to school with Isla Mann.

Sorry - my mistake - she is Myra (spelling mistake!)
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • BlueBella
    I sooo hope it is the famous Kate Middleton! ;)

No - her profile pic shows she is not our future queen on Facebook :o
  • Funny how folk don't think of names before naming us as children isn't it haha!! Crystal Clear and Isla Mann, I wonder if their parent's thought it was funny/cool/hilarious or if they genuinely didn't realise!!

Enjoying the thoughts of others and at least so far no one has come on and said it will mean a prize could be rescinded in the case of a win!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure