divert home phone to mobile

Options

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BESTYMAN:

It will be great if what One-Tel has told you is correct! Also remember that if you sign up with One-Tel now, you can get free evening and weekend calls from your landline (for one year) plus free directory enquiries from your landline (forever?)

It also possible on mobile networks to use your free minutes to access the One-Tel DQ service for free, providing you route your calls through the mobile access number provided by One-Tel. But I am not sure if One-Tel allow this 'trick' on their own mobiles!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    BESTYMAN:

Unfortunately, I think One-Tel are incorrect!

If use the Call Divert feature this will be BT's call divert feature and it will route calls over BT and not One-Tel - even if use use OneTel's Carrier Pre- Select service!

At least that is what someone from OneTel told me!

EDIT:
    Have now had a different answer! OneTel now say that OneTel charge for the diverted part of the call, and it will not be free even if diverting to a OneTel mobile. I think this is because the call will not be seen as originating from your landline - i.e. the CLI will be the number of person calling you - not your landline number!

As I said earlier, I think you will need two BT lines. Your current one you would change to the BT low user rental and use only for incoming calls. The second 'new' line you would use for outgoing calls. You then use the 'magic box' I mentioned to divert calls from the incoming line to the outgoing line. It will the outgoing line you register with OneTel carrier pre-select service.

I trust that is as clear as mud!

Please let us know if what OneTel has told you is correct. If it is, MARTIN LEWIS will be very interested! I will be interested too!!
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I phoned one tel customer services and was told that the diverts are free. I then rang sales and was told the diverts are free, but they didn`t sound 100% sure ( overseas call centre I think).

I have sent them an email asking them again and have not recieved a reply yet but when I do I will post it here .

The main reason for me getting this is to save the £60 a month that I pay BT in diverts ( even with mobile as best friend etc etc ) so if Onetel says the diverts are free by email and it turns out they are not I suppose I am within my rights to cancel and send the mobile back . I might even make this perfectly clear to them in a letter before signing up ( any views?)

Even if I do need a second line I will still be about £45 a month better off so will have to look into these magic boxes. ( info please?)

Regards

Besty

Hope the Onetel thing works out, I was really looking forward to the nokia 6600 !
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • bestyman
    Options
    Sorry , forgot to ask .

I think you may be right about the onetel thing ( hopefully your wrong) so where do I find out about these boxes please? I have done a google search and found orchid electronics at Exeter, so they make magic boxes?
    Thanks
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    When I said 'magic boxes' I was just hoping they existed! I rang Orchid who happened to say they are developing one! There may be others, I just don't know though!

If you do hear of one, please post here as I will be interested when my Vodafone mobile contract ends in August.

If OneTel do say diverts are free just make sure that they are saying that the diverted part of the call is free and that they are not referring to the call divert rental (you still have to pay BT for that).

Another possibility altogether is to get a 'personal number'. You can divert the personal number to your home phone or mobile as required. You can get the personal number for free and all calls to the number are chargeable to your caller (at higher than mobile rates). To change the divert you usually have to ring an 0870 number or do it for free on the Internet.

Are you sure you cannot have an answerphone on your landline that gives out your mobile number to your callers? Still seems the simplest solution!
  • bestyman
    Options
    Appologies to TMH as I have just realised that in my enthusiasm I have hijacked his thread, erm sorry! but at least its still on topic with a common goal.
    I am in the same situation as TMH is that my callers do not like answerphones. I advertise in yellow pages etc and callers want to talk to a real person ( dont we all?) and many of them won`t ring a mobile or personal number due to the cost ( I could start a new thread here on why the average joe public won`t ring a mobile for 30p but yet is prepared to be ripped off by the big companies with freephone numbers, hence the success of 0800 numbers in the yellow pages, but thats besides the point)

Anyhow, I phoned onetel again and asked for a manager who said that diverts are not free so thanks for pointing this out .

The 18866 does not work as bt do not allow the 18866 number but when I tried to put in the alternative 01 18866 number that works but there was a problem in that the caller was asked for ` which number would you like to call` from the 18866 recorded message . Can I put in pauses with my phone so I can divert to 18866 07821 xxxxx ????? When I find the pause key on my phone I will try this and let you know ( any ideas?)
    Any help appreaciated.
    Besty
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to set a pause in mid-dial. I asked this elsewhere about diverting a mobile, which after all does actually have a pause character.

I don't know the monthly price of BT's Call Mobile option, but it cuts the call rates by about 3p/min; also Friends & Family would reduce by 20 % for best friend.

So these together would probably reduce the price below 10p/minute anyway.

Perhaps you could look into setting up your own 0871 number to use to divert to mobile on weekdays; I think it might be very difficult to find one.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    Now I think about it again, I doubt that you could program a 'pause' in the dialling sequence.

Pressing the 'pause' button produces no tones and so does not send any signal to the exchange to program a 'pause'; it is only meant to put in a 'pause' on the dialling sequence on numbers in your phonebook. Plus, I don't think you can send enough digits to the BT divert sequence anyway!

I think you are stuck with the other methods I have mentioned unless the 'experts' have other ideas.
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I to have to divert to a mobile , i am a single car taxi operator so calls must be diverted , my diversion normally costs more than any other part of the bill, last 1/4 was about 350 calls , i am diverting from a business line to bt mobile but also have a residential line , should i be diverting to res then to mobile using 18666 # or go for onetell as the calls from bt bus to bt res are the cheapest option.
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Diverting via your home phone will only be worthwhile if that has significantly cheaper calls. I don't know BT's tariff for calling BT mobile.

As it says above, it's unlikely that 18866 can be used in call diversion.

Maybe an 0871 number at 10p per minute?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport