Tesco horse riding hats

Does anybody know if these hats are any good? My little boy has just started horse riding and has had his head measured to determine the hat size. Tesco have velvet peaked riding hats on half price offer at £17.34 and I wondered if they were worth buying until we reach the "Yep. I REALLY love horse riding- can I have a pony" stage??!

Comments

• Sammyantha
    Sammyantha Posts: 636 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2011 at 11:20PM
    Does anybody know if these hats are any good? My little boy has just started horse riding and has had his head measured to determine the hat size. Tesco have velvet peaked riding hats on half price offer at £17.34 and I wondered if they were worth buying until we reach the "Yep. I REALLY love horse riding- can I have a pony" stage??!

Only buy riding hats from established equestrian outlets that can advise you on safety standards and fit them for you. Tescos, argos, and all the other supermarket/ shops do not have the facility to check and correctly fit hats. In some cases they do not conform to current safety standards either. Sometimes a badly fitted hat can be worse than no hat at all!
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    Do they have sizes such as in a proper centre? As can you not then go get him fitted and then go back and get the other?
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • Only buy a riding hat from a retailer who will fit it for you, it is vitally important to have a good well fitting hat. Your son's brain is worth spending a bit more!

I would also avoid a fixed peak velvet hat and go for a skull cap (the type that has no peak and you add a soft cover) as they are much safer.

My nephew's skull cap is conforms to ALL current UK safety standards both PAS015 and the BSEN one, it cost less than £50 and was properly fitted by a lady with over 30 years experience, she had a range of hats of different brands to try and she even adjusted the harness correctly.

Even if you know you son's hat size that doesn't mean that the hat will fit. Hats are different shapes (like shoes) and some brands fit others don't. I wear champion hats, charles owen ones don't fit at all, they either hurt or are too big to protect due to the fact the hat shape isn't compatible with my head shape.

Take him to a couple of local saddlers who are BETA members and try a few different makes of hat on before you decide.
  • jemb wrote: »
    Do they have sizes such as in a proper centre? As can you not then go get him fitted and then go back and get the other?

Nice go to the small local retailer take advantage of their trained staff and the fact that they are ethical enough to pay to train their staff but then don't buy the goods from them - go and undercut them at a retail giant who are irresponsible enough to sell safety equipment that they cannot offer a suitable fitting service for. No wonder small independant retailers are going out of business right left and centre!
  • jemb wrote: »

Yes you can get the size you need, but when i say fitting, i mean the checks that take place to determine if there is enough/ too much/ too little space between the top of your head and the top of the hat and other areas. Sizes can vary with shape. During a fall, a badly fitting hat can slip, fall off altogether, or cause injury through fitting too tightly.

Horse riding is listed as one of the top 10 most dangerous sports in the world! When there is serious risk of falling from a height and landing on your head, do not quibble with safety.

Nearly every saddlery/ tack shop will offer a hat fitting service. Go down and see what they have to offer. It's safer in the long run.
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
  • Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    All the advice above is spot on.

As an example, I had a hat fitted recently. The supplier had a number of makes and types and my size varied through all the different hats so measuring your child's head is only a guide and the hat should always be fitted as stated in the above posts.
  • IHD
    IHD Posts: 129 Forumite
    If he is learning at a riding school , most will lend you one for the lesson. This way you can wait and see if its a passing phase or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure