World Book Night: one million free books to give away - have you been selected?

Comments

• I have collected my books Rachels Holiday from my local book shop and I have no unique wbn ref number that I am supposed to write in each book so it can be traced , loooked in my emails from wbn nothing , looked on their website and nothing. Can anyone help ???
  • myrrh
    myrrh Posts: 2,404 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I cannot find anything about the unique wbn ref number either. Hope there will be an email soon with the information. I went to collect my books and found out that only half had been delivered so now I have to go back again.
  • sfancy
    sfancy Posts: 119 Forumite
    My book the reluctant fundamentalist has still not arrived at my local waterstones. Oddly enough the employee there asked me what I was planning on doing with the books and said that they could give them out for me. I said thanks I would think about it and then rang a few days later to see if my books had arrived and was told no, however was asked again about my plans for the books and told that they would ring me to see what I have decided. Does anyone think that this is a bit odd?
  • I had the job of delivering loads of these books for distrubtion, they were very heavy boxes and one libary had 8 full boxes. :D
  • debbycuk
    debbycuk Posts: 124 Forumite
    lesley43 wrote: »
    I have collected my books Rachels Holiday from my local book shop and I have no unique wbn ref number that I am supposed to write in each book so it can be traced , loooked in my emails from wbn nothing , looked on their website and nothing. Can anyone help ???

Apparently according to the Facebook pages, they are still allocating the WBN codes.... watch this space!
    I have a new claim to fame :D I spoke about the Olympics ticket fiasco on Martin's daybreak slot :money:
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sfancy wrote: »
    My book the reluctant fundamentalist has still not arrived at my local waterstones. Oddly enough the employee there asked me what I was planning on doing with the books and said that they could give them out for me. I said thanks I would think about it and then rang a few days later to see if my books had arrived and was told no, however was asked again about my plans for the books and told that they would ring me to see what I have decided. Does anyone think that this is a bit odd?
    Not so much odd as good commercial sense from your local branch, giving out free books is a good way to get people in buying books, although I haven't seen anyone else reporting this type of issue and I'm not sure whether the World Book Night people would like it or not...
    2020 Wins:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You have to ring THEM = they don't ring you.

I understood that they (as they did say in the email) would email me let me know that my books had arrived at the library. However, I'm sure they have enough to do without emailing everyone. I emailed the library yesterday & they replied today telling me that my books have arrived. Thanks Carole.
  • welshdeedee
    welshdeedee Posts: 27,496 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My Book Shop stockist says that the books have been arriving in dribs and drabs and not all have arrived. They knew nothing of the details and when I told her I need 48 copies of my book to give away she nearly fainted.

She was going to give me a couple of copies of some of the books on the list:eek:
    [STRIKE]30:22[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]30:07[/STRIKE]
    29:07
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 March 2011 at 2:30PM
    My Book Shop stockist says that the books have been arriving in dribs and drabs and not all have arrived. They knew nothing of the details and when I told her I need 48 copies of my book to give away she nearly fainted.

She was going to give me a couple of copies of some of the books on the list:eek:
    Dribs and drabs? Doesn't sound like the organised WBN giveaway stuff - those are being delivered to the bookstores with WBN labels on the outside of the boxes.

ETA. And I don't know about the other titles, but I've just looked and I've got WBN special editions of Northern Lights - promo covers, specific pages about WBN, imprinted bookcrossing section at the back. So no store could accidentally sell them.

Is anybody else annoyed at the lack of updates on the WBN website? For days now they have been promising an "extended and enhanced website that will let givers plan how they are going to distribute their books, with posters, banners and lots of useful advice on how to have a great World Book Night" but still nothing. I could do with downloadable posters, don't really want to have to design my own.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • alocin
    alocin Posts: 109 Forumite
    I've got my books - I rang my local library last Friday and they were there, so I collected them over the weekend. I'm giving the majority of them to the local children's hospital but I've had to cheat slightly in arranging to deliver them this Friday morning because the education and welfare office staff don't work weekends - and certainly not Saturday nights! Hopefully it's still all in the spirit of World Book Night, if a little early.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure