Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you keep the lottery ticket?

You’re in the lift at your local shopping centre, a woman talking excitedly on the phone says she won an unspecified amount on last night’s lottery. Yet she’s saying she can’t find the ticket and asking her husband if he’s got it. She gets out at the next floor, and you notice its fallen from her bag and on the floor, as the door closes.
Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you pick herbs from a strangers's hedge?
Should Arkwright give Granville his money back?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Winky,_The_House_Elf
    Options
    No, it's not mine. I would call after her to come back.

Could you honestly look yourself in the eye in the mirror? Its completely wrong as you clearly know who the owner of the ticket is, it then amounts to theft...where do you draw the line? "it was half hanging out her pocket anyway?"
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • MRS_TO_BE_2
    MRS_TO_BE_2 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't live with myself...having money out of someone elses misfortune who be terrible. Would try and find her.
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same here, I would feel like a thief. I would definitely call after her.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • greenstick
    greenstick Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I couldn't keep it if I knew who's it was

If I found the ticket in the street without knowing who it belonged to, I'd pick it up and check the numbers. If it turned out to be a winner, fantastic.
  • SonOfPearl
    SonOfPearl Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No brainer. I'd give it back, of course. Keeping it would simply be stealing!
  • Wistful100
    Wistful100 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I'd chase the lady down the hall if necessary. What a dreadful idea to walk away with someone else's winning ticket when you know who it belongs to.......! There is certainly no happiness to be had from keeping it under those circumstances although I'm sure some will imply it would be OK. Shame on you for even suggesting it!
  • JPS
    JPS Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No doubt about it - run after her and give it back! She would feel like she had won it all over again! Would be great to make someones day like that :)
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing:)
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Sharp_Eyes Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Run after her through the lift door? Sounds like a job for Superman! *LOL* My local shopping centre is quite big. Am I going to chase after this stranger for hours? Nope! You snooze, you lose.

In these moral dilemmas everybody seems to want to qualify their answers so here goes:
    1. If the question had asked if I noticed the ticket on the floor WHILE she was asking her husband would I keep quiet about it and then take it for myself, then NO. I'd point it out to her. To do otherwise would be dishonest.
    2. To notice the ticket AFTER she left AND the doors have closed is completely different. Learn to take better care of your stuff!
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Give it back, like I would anything i saw someone drop. To do anything esle is theft.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    keep it, would she give it back to me if it was the other way around...no...sorry, she may have won it, but the cash inst in her hand yet, so in theory she hasnt had the money yet, so how can she miss it
    i will be debt free, i will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport