Theatre - how often do you go?

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 12 February 2015 at 11:36AM in Going out deals
Merch_Theatre_Tickets.jpg

With lots of good shows on at theatres across the country and various ways to get cheap theatre tickets for less we wanted to find out how often people are going.

Do you visit the theatre more than you used to? Or perhaps you're watching theatre shows at the Cinema instead?

What do you tend to see?

If you let us know it'll help us know what kind of thing you like to see and hunt down cheap theatre tickets for our Cinema and Theatre deals.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

How often do you go to the theatre? 102 votes

Once a month
20%
judysoolinelantankt21jude_schristineperseuscte1111pigtails_21Absinthe_FairygoggleTBagpussbugsletmidnight_expressbouicca21General_GrantMattygroves2belugaSkadiCampingCathyKeep_pedalling 21 votes
Once every couple of months
18%
Prudentnearlyrichpurple12catkinsPoppeaskid112TonyMMMBillTracp00hsticksqetu1357Fiasco55PoundshoploverVestanPancebazzyb32b3in2013jon81ukmissbiggles1FlowerPetalsilovemygarden 19 votes
Once every 3 or so months
12%
jfdipinkduvetdivahawkstercaveworkPushkinthepennyfarthingsVSynthGoldiegirlLily-Rose_3WantobeasaverFormer_MSE_MeganNobodysChildSunshine62 13 votes
Once every 6 months
8%
mrkeAlikaychuppachopholidaysformeSandieB_2stockton_2AubreyMacPoddlyHallen 9 votes
Once a year
16%
tanithmoleratThrobbeTorry_QuinePocgeri1965_2Tiggifarfar.wendz86natnhayTeaCakeSouthend1good_adviceanotheruserNumpty69runnergirl1992dolladollabillsyoGouldy 17 votes
Every few years
11%
esuhlbusiscoming2Bagpuss75jackieblackchucknorrisSailorSamhugheskevitulip12phil09stevefossAnatidaephobiavqmismatch 12 votes
Never
10%
barmonkeyToxteth_OGradydjlSallyUKtorbrexsamsilPasturesNewsjw64CandyFlossAngry_BearCharlieRabbit01 11 votes

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not quite sure how to answer this - if you go to see a stand up comedian doing a one night stand at a theatre does that count ? (I do that a couple of times a year)

What about things like, this, that I'm going to in a couple of months ? http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/yamato-drummers/

Or are you only interested in full blown theatrical shows - I do that as often as there is anything interesting within travelling distance - perhaps four or five times a year.

And I also go to the live cinema screens of the RSC, Globe and Natinoal Theatre at least half a dozen times a year.

For me, the issue is not really the cost (the theatres close to me all have great discounts if you become a member for a year, whcih can recoup the membership fee in only a couple of visits) but the lack of appeal of what the theatres put on.

I'm licy inthat I live within travelling distance of quite a number of theatres, but I'm a bit of a 'culture vulture' so I mainly like to see what I'd call 'proper plays'. I realise I'm in a minority where I am - most of the local theatres concentrate on comedians and these musical shows like 'We will rock you' and 'mama mia' because that's what puts the bums on seats.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Once a year
    Once a year or so.

Went to see the Lion King three times in the space of 18 months. Tomorrow I'm going to see Cats and within 12 months, it's likely I'll see Wicked too.

Apart from that, there isn't really anything I'd like to go see around at the moment. Unless Starlight Express comes back to London... expensive to put on though.
  • Any trip to the theatre can be counted, whatever you're going to see p00hsticks.

Thanks for replying :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Once every 6 months
    I usually go a couple of times a year locally, and also see a west end musical every year during a weekend break. I've been to a couple of the National Theatre Live link-ups too, which I've enjoyed.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,509
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been to see Lion King, War Horse and Jersey Boys this year - all bought as presents - but 3 shows in a year like this year is unusual as tickets are expensive.
    January spends - £587.58
  • natnhay
    natnhay Posts: 384 Forumite
    Once a year
    Just came back from London watched Wicked Tuesday night and Matilda Wednesday afternoon,we purchased Matilda tickets on day of performance and paid £30 for £95 seats Bargain,show was fantastic too.We usually do a couple of shows a year if possible.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I try and go every couple of months, although I am hoping to go more as I have just moved to an area with a few nice theatres. Once or twice a year I will go to London and visit the National Theatre.

I would love to see more deals for regional theatres and for London that doesn't just focus on the West End musicals etc. You can get great deals on things like the London fringe or the South Bank, but they never seem to be mentioned on deals sites. I would also be interested in deals on opera and ballet.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hermia wrote: »
    I try and go every couple of months, although I am hoping to go more as I have just moved to an area with a few nice theatres. Once or twice a year I will go to London and visit the National Theatre.

I would love to see more deals for regional theatres and for London that doesn't just focus on the West End musicals etc. You can get great deals on things like the London fringe or the South Bank, but they never seem to be mentioned on deals sites. I would also be interested in deals on opera and ballet.

If you're not already aware, I suggest you check out what your local cinema can offer - there are now more and more live cinema screenings from RSC, NT, Royal Opera House and the ballet.

Prices tend to be a little bit higher than a normal film showing, but it's considerably cheaper than being there in person. OK, you don't get the full experience but its a good alternative

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5061013
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When ever I have a Saturday in London I will try and get to see two shows. Luckily, I have Chichester, Southampton and Guildford a short drive away so always lots to choose from (as well as our local theatre).
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    Once a month
    I love going to the theatre. My local theatres are good, but expensive. Unfortunately it's still somehow seen as odd by other people to go to the theatre on your own!

I would love to see offers for regional theatres - London's great but few us us can take advantage of the offers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure