Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers

Comments

• I agree that any new site won't get properly started until enough people are willing to give it a chance, both buying and selling.

I just I don't have the hours in the day or more importantly the enthusiasm to take time and care over a listing that in all likelyhood won't sell, about half of my buyers are from overseas and they they may not be regular users yet either.

Although I'd like to think that I had 'vision, integrity and guts' I don't in this case so I'm going to stand back and let others be the pioneers and watch on the sidelines - I truly wish everyone well with this but after nearly 8 years of selling on ebay, 6 of them full time and with 2 ebay shops to run, my furrow is well worn and it would be very hard to dig another.

Sorry that you didn't get on with it. Maybe in the future you'll return? I joined last year, but only started listing a month ago, the site has changed immensely since I joined! If you do decide to give it another go, why not let your current/previous customers know? If they realise that you can save money listing (thus being able to list cheaper), it might entice them to look :)
  • Keep going! Well done so far. It's amazing how quickly you get used to it!

Hi, thanks for the encouragement :)

I've worked out where I went wrong, on the postage I was putting 04=50: instead of 04=0.50: ie £50 instead of 50p. On the lack of auction, that was caused because I put 'Run Until Sold' in the column that should have had the length of the auction in no of days - as I wanted an auction not just BIN.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, just to clarify it is perfectly OK to add the direct link to the ebid website, it is only 'personal ' links ie those to individual seller accounts that are not allowed.

Likewise it is Ok to link direct to help pages as long as no referral tracking or such like is enabled. So please feel free to add a direct ebid link to the original post.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Great froum and a good thread - nice to see someone doing some work to bring the alternative auction sites to peoples attention.

I have tried Ebid in the past but found Sales to be pretty slow - with very little traffic from buyers in general. Maybe its getting better - I still have a Silver account with Feedback and I am happy to list a few things there for free and see how they go. I will repost in a few weeks and share my thoughts.

Its also worth mentioning the other alternative auciton sites I have tried have also been equally slow like Tazbar so this is not poor reflection on Ebid.
  • :mad: Following on from my last post I am a bit suprised to find that when I try connecting to EBID the EBID site is down at the moment and I cannot connect to it !!!!!

Is this a common occurance or am I just unlucky. Whats the point in taking their whole website down during the day ??

HELP !

:mad:
  • :mad: Following on from my last post I am a bit suprised to find that when I try connecting to EBID the EBID site is down at the moment and I cannot connect to it !!!!!

Is this a common occurance or am I just unlucky. Whats the point in taking their whole website down during the day ??

HELP !

:mad:

No, I don't think this is a common occurrence. I have started a thread about this to see if others were having the same problem! I'm not alone. I just hope it goes back on soon, I've got about 20 items with bids on at the moment, and I can't see what's going on!
  • I'm hoping it's not a common occurrence either, but in a way I find a straight 'inaccessible' page easier than the chaos and instability that is Friday morning maintenance on another well-known auction site. Sure, many of the sellers know to expect it now and avoid the period if possible, but I don't think the buyers do and are expecting the sellers to be able to work at full capacity as usual. At least everyone knows where they stand when the site's down altogether - hopefully it won't be for long.

Anyway, from my perspective as a newcomer to ebid, it is at least encouraging to hear that you have twenty items with bids on :)
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature! :eek:
  • I'm hoping it's not a common occurrence either, but in a way I find a straight 'inaccessible' page easier than the chaos and instability that is Friday morning maintenance on another well-known auction site. Sure, many of the sellers know to expect it now and avoid the period if possible, but I don't think the buyers do and are expecting the sellers to be able to work at full capacity as usual. At least everyone knows where they stand when the site's down altogether - hopefully it won't be for long.

Anyway, from my perspective as a newcomer to ebid, it is at least encouraging to hear that you have twenty items with bids on :)

Yes, I've sold 34 items so far, with another 20 being bid on. Not bad really! I only started selling a month ago, considering there isn't as much traffic as ebay I think that's quite good, and I've saved at least £50 so far by not paying listing fees:T
  • Yes, I've sold 34 items so far, with another 20 being bid on. Not bad really! I only started selling a month ago, considering there isn't as much traffic as ebay I think that's quite good, and I've saved at least £50 so far by not paying listing fees:T

Perhaps a touch of Ebid Promo Propaganda there already !

Still I am pleased that you seem to be selling so well already - since I know from past experience how slow sales can be on that site !

Before we start screaming FEE SAVINGS - Lets not forget you will have paid a joining fee upfront of up to £100 and you need to take that into consideration.

Also you need to consider whether you are getting the best price for your item - with so little traffic Ebid does not drive a "Auction Economy" as such and so you will be lucky to get a single bid .

It will take a LOT of sales - MARGIN PROFIT - not Sales Turnover before you recoup that £100....... As any Money Saver will tell you.

Still now the site is back up I will get listing and see what happens.

:p
  • Before we start screaming FEE SAVINGS - Lets not forget you will have paid a joining fee upfront of up to £100 and you need to take that into consideration.

Please try to check your facts before posting.
    It is possible to sign up on eBid as a basic BRONZE level (buyer only) then upgrade to SILVER level (seller) with ZERO cost.

Silver level users can run basic auctions with ZERO fees unless the item sells. When that happens there is a flat rate 3% final value fee.

It is only if the user chooses to move on from "casual seller" status to "regular seller" that an upgrade to PLATINUM level is recommended. Even then the user can subscribe for various lengths of time at various costs depending on subscription length. The voluntary £100 fee is a one off payment for a lifetime subscription at PLATINUM level.

http://uk.ebid.net/help_money.php
    Why Pay High Fees
    on eBay when there ARE alternative sites available?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback