OU Students Past, Present and Future

Comments

• Hi all im currently studying introduction to bookkeeping which is b190 and and due to start financial accounting in nov which is b291, im hoping to complete a degree in business studies with accounting but along the way also gain a professional certificate in accounting.

Is anyone else here doing the same as me??
    :TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T
  • Kelz
    Kelz Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi does anyone have any experience of the social work degree with the OU? It's the degree I want but a brick uni would be hard going with family and financial commitments, I have looked into the access course at college to get into brick but would so much prefer the OU way for fitting into life (I passedd DD100 and really enjoyed the course), is it really a fact it's only possible if your already working for a LA? Also has anyone begun the course then transfered to a brick uni to complete and bypassed the access; so many questions I do apologise.
    Thanks for Reading and any time taken to reply
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    skintsaver wrote: »
    Hi all im currently studying introduction to bookkeeping which is b190 and and due to start financial accounting in nov which is b291, im hoping to complete a degree in business studies with accounting but along the way also gain a professional certificate in accounting.

Is anyone else here doing the same as me??

Hows the B190 going, did look at it, but not brave enough, did start the Level 3 accounting, but it was to hard for me, its one that you need the time, and the brains, and no distractions, it didn't work for me. I'm aiming for the degree in Business studies, done W100 Intro to Law, B120 Intro to business, DB123 You and your money, B201 and B203 - level 2 businesses, there starting a new level 2 business B204, not exam based. Start B301 in Feb.... have no nails by then. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Kelz wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have any experience of the social work degree with the OU? It's the degree I want but a brick uni would be hard going with family and financial commitments, I have looked into the access course at college to get into brick but would so much prefer the OU way for fitting into life (I passedd DD100 and really enjoyed the course), is it really a fact it's only possible if your already working for a LA? Also has anyone begun the course then transfered to a brick uni to complete and bypassed the access; so many questions I do apologise.
    Thanks for Reading and any time taken to reply

How did you find DD100, one of my I would like to do, I do have a feeling the further you go up the level you are expected to be in that environment, but there may be a way of continuing, even ifs a side treck, could you go for an Open Degree, but pick and mix courses, some health, some child related, and try that route? xx
  • Kelz
    Kelz Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi thanks for replying, I did DD100 way back in 2004, once the excitement of books and parcels passed me and I had to do some work I found it interesting, and feel it was a good starting point for someone new to the ou as I was, I have done some short courses to brush up on maths and English, I have as you suggested looked at making it up as I went along but know that the only way to be a social worker is to get the degree, i'm stuck now as I'm desperate to get my nose in some books even more so after spotting this thread :)
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mum2one wrote: »
    How did you find DD100, one of my I would like to do, I do have a feeling the further you go up the level you are expected to be in that environment, but there may be a way of continuing, even ifs a side treck, could you go for an Open Degree, but pick and mix courses, some health, some child related, and try that route? xx
    I'm doing DD131, which is the new "part one" of DD100. DD100 has itself been updated into DD101.

I'm finding it quite basic, but interesting. I think you'd be best to try to do it as early in your OU life as you can - I've done 3 other level 1 courses (MST121, DB123 and B120) and am also currently doing a level 2 (DD202) and I think that with this course, as it's an introduction, I would have got more out of it if I'd done it earlier. It's evident from some of the study materials that you're not expected to have great study skills as that's one of the things you work on during the course.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    You can't do Social Work without an employer sponsorship and placement, unfortunately. That's why I'm aiming for Health and Social Care and then post-grad in Social Work
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • mum2one wrote: »
    Hows the B190 going, did look at it, but not brave enough, did start the Level 3 accounting, but it was to hard for me, its one that you need the time, and the brains, and no distractions, it didn't work for me. I'm aiming for the degree in Business studies, done W100 Intro to Law, B120 Intro to business, DB123 You and your money, B201 and B203 - level 2 businesses, there starting a new level 2 business B204, not exam based. Start B301 in Feb.... have no nails by then. xx

Im not doing too bad with the course so far but it is confusing, i think its easier to understand with the cd rom that came with the course materials. Im hoping i do ok though because i have signed up for the financial accouting now and would like to do the degree in business studies as well so any advice as to which courses is greatly appreciated :D
    :TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    skintsaver wrote: »
    Im not doing too bad with the course so far but it is confusing, i think its easier to understand with the cd rom that came with the course materials. Im hoping i do ok though because i have signed up for the financial accouting now and would like to do the degree in business studies as well so any advice as to which courses is greatly appreciated :D

Your doing brilliantly, if you like the financial side go for DB123 You and your money - level 1 - 30 points, that could be one of your free courses choice. I'm aiming down same line, trying for BA Hons

Level 1 (did)
    W100 Law (free choice)
    B120 Intro to Business
    DB123 You and your money

Level 2 (did)
    B201 - broader business range - more the ins and outs and the factors behind eg globalization
    B203 - That was better - as it was based on business subjects, accounts, finance, marketing, Human resources, and another (can't remember)

They're changing the level 2 business courses around, they've introduced B204 - 60 point level 2, not exam based.

Then Feb nxt yr
    B301 - Business
    2nd course - not sure as there changing over.

Doing at mo-
    BU130 - Hate the course - but its compulsary in Degree, work related and factors, good but theres big gap where you try and introduce changes into workplace - ends end Sept

DB234 - Level 2 of DB123 - this time your on more business based and forecasting, pensions etc - ends end Sept

2 Openings - Understanding management (starts Sept), Understanding Change (starts Nov),

Level 1 - sports fitness and nutrition, - starts Oct - doing that and 2 openings as need 80 points that haven't been used elsewhere, as the goalposts got changed so OU put my into Higher Dipoloma Business Studies, so had to do 80 points to get Foundation degree.

Def look into DB123 and B204. xx
  • starting my psychology with criminology soon!!

14 years late but getting there!!

DD101
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family