How long do tax credit claims take?

When I first went onto tax credits it took them six weeks to sort the claim out. In about 2 weeks I'll be getting married and making a join claim. Tried to phone up and get the ball rolling last week but they won't accept a change in circumstances until it happens...

I was told to call up after the wedding and they would end my claim and start a new one. Will this take another 6 weeks? And what paperwork are we likely to need?

TIA
A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They can't put a new claim on before the date of change so you will have to wait until after the wedding.

When you call them to make your new claim you will need -

07/08 income details for both of you - from P60's and/or P45's or if self-employed what you declared on your 07/08 tax return.
    Details of any taxable benefits received in 07/08.
    Details of any other income like savings interest etc

PAYE reference number of both your employers, employment start date and number of hours per week you work.

children's details (if you have any) - make sure the spelling is correct as mistakes cause delays
    Child benefit number
    Childcare details - name of provider, who they are registered with and their registration number and finally the average weekly cost.
  • Have all of the detals that Pam mentions ready to complete on to the new claim form.

As soon as TCO receive the form they hop to have it dealt with within 2 weeks, call them around 7-10 days after sending the form if you havent heard anything. There are usually a couple of "Verification Failures" that will need to be manually cleared when you go from one claim to another.

Verification failures will appear as the computer will recognise that you are on more than one claim for TC. The adviser will make sure the old claim has stopped then clear the failure.

This will normally happen even if you dont call but it sometimes takes a bit longer as your claim will be in a queue to be dealt with.
  • I don't have taxable income as currently on benefits. Will they automatically know my 'earnings' for the last 12 months as they're on the system already? Haven't had any letters from DWP regarding benefits in about 2 years...
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• Which benefits do you receive?

TCO will need you to tell them your earnings/income for the previous year on the new claim - even if you have given it previously. Legal 'red tape' stops them using information provided for any other claim than the one the are currently dealing with.
  • Just income support and current tax credits.. But when my renewal comes it always says what money I've had and never asks for verification so I figured they already have the figures?

• They dont ask for the figures as they dont need to know how much income support and tax credits you get.

As long as you were ticking the income support box it was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure