Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• terriandaaron
    Options
    any ideas for Canada....OMG the prices gor nearly a month in America for same price just over a week in Canada, picking up frm toronto.
    5 kids..1 hubby...1 dog..3 rabbits and a goldfish...yep ours is a Madhouse :D

:smileyhea We love Disney...:heart:

Trying to Save for a Bigger house ...:o
  • MiloMolly
    Options
    Hi there

All the car hire terms and conditions i have found say something like that "the insurance coverage does not cover damage to windows, wheels, tyres, the roof, underside & interior of the vehicle, towing charges "

Therefore, I am looking for an extra insurance product that will cover damage to windows, wheels, tyres, the roof, underside & interior.

The problem is that as there is no excess for these elements in my car hire doc - it just says they dont cover it so i would simply be responsible for the full cost of repairs in the case of such damage- the insurance would not cover me either because the extra insurance products seem to say they cover " excess on damage to the rental vehicle including the excess on theft, and damage to windows, undercarriage, headlights, roof and tyres"

As i dont have an ;'excess' for those elements I guess this extra insurance is no good.

But i refuse to believe there isnt an insurance product that would cover damage to windows, undercarriage, headlights, roof and tyres at least up to a certain value.

please please can anyone help?
  • mhmaddog
    Options
    • £40 Insurance4Carhire.com annual policy, no more extras, covers everything that basic insurance does not, pays for itself in about 7-10 days and no hassle at airport
    • Always read T&C, this will tell you if you pay (extortionately) for a tank of fuel up front and return empty (rip off)
    • Remember that the cheapest is not always the cheapest once the cost of inflated price fuel is added.
    • Check the trinity (Kayak, eBookers, Travelsupermarket)
    Example, March 2012 Malaga, mini / small car, 4 days - headline prices from £17 to £50, but with fuel paid up front £67 - £71 (and more)

But eBookers "selection" £45 for a Renault Twingo, whilst appearing expensive in comparison, was return with the same amount of fuel that was there on collection. You won't know who the renter is until after booking (in my case Sixt)

In fact a lot of the cheaper renters have all sorts of little extras (card booking fees for example and automatic addition of insurances); plus for some when you leave (say) kayak and get to the site often the price magically increases by 25%

Bottom line is to spend the time doing the research to keep the cost and your blood pressure down!
  • aeromint2
    Options
    Any ideas on which company to use in Faro? I'm looking for a vehicle that can transport five adults and a toddler, probably looking at a people carrier for two weeks. The prices I've seen range from 600UKP to 1700UKP, I'm confused as to why there is such a vast difference between companies.

Any advise would be accepted as I feel like a fish out of water

Hi,
    We have just returned from a holiday in Luz (which was fantastic!), and unexpectedly we had to hire a car from a company based at Faro airport. This was very late at night, and we also needed a car seat. We chose a company called Sixt, which cost us 190 euros (for 1 week) for an economy car. We found this car to be economical on petrol. If you do decide to use the Toll road, then you can pay the fees at the end of your stay at the post office at Faro airport. I would highly recommend taking a Sat Nav with you, if you have one, and don't leave booking a hired car a couple of days before you are due to leave. I did hire a car online, & there was a hiccup .....but that's another story!

Have a lovely holiday.
  • Galvan
    Options
    To all those who are considering purchasing an Excess Car Hire Policy I would like to sound a note of caution. Having been a previous policy holder of Insurance4carhire I was about to renew and have been hunting high and low for anyone in reviews who has had experience of claiming from them. I eventually found one on another forum who sounded a note of caution. Having successfully submitted a claim to the company he was a little upset to receive a sum far less than the costs he had incurred. They deducted from his claim the following:-
    1. Loss of car hire for the time the hire car was off the road being repaired
    2. Cost of a damage report from the hire company.
    3. Vat charges on all of the above.
    I have had this confirmed by the company that the above are not covered by their policy.
    The message is don`t go purchasing one of these policies believing you are covered for everything the Hire Company`s policy doesn`t cover you for.
    I regularly travel to Spain and use Malagacarhire.com, not to be confused with others of a similar name. They are based in England and use a company called Niza cars in Spain. They pick you up and drop you at the airport and Niza cars is just outside Malaga Airport. They give you a full tank of petrol and as long as you return it full there is no charge for fuel. Insurance covers all drivers 21 years and over. They do not cover windscreens,tyres and undercarriage but for 3euros 50 a day you can get cover for this. The maximum they will charge in any hire period is 33 Euros. If you don`t take the excess insurance they take a swipe of your credit card for 300 euros but don`t take it from your account. I`ve been using them for years now and they knock spots off the other companies. I have always had a complimentary upgrade of car if they have one available.
    I have tried others who claim to be cheaper but by the time you add on their overcharge for a tank of petrol, excess insurance of 10 euros a day and currency charges for taking a 300 euro deposit they work out far more expensive.
  • lostgirlontour
    Options
    drewlucas wrote: »
    Evening,

Also looking for advice on car hire in Miami. I understand that there's now a dedicated car hire thingy at the airport which you get to by train? I've been looking at the usual comparison sites and it looks like I can get 15 days hire in April for around £250 quid. Both Budget & Dollar will do a "compact car" ford focus or similar for that money. There's 2A 2C and prob 2 suitcases and 4 carry on so the size should be ok.
    Basically is this any good and what sort of car will I likely get for a "compact" and are budget and dollar as good as any other firm out of Miami. Allamo are another £15 for a similar car and national are another £30. (Nissan Versa whatever that is!)
    Apologies for all the questions but I'm trying to get my head round the options. The extra cost is not a problem if it provides a quicker and better service although I wouldn't be asking the question on this site if I didn't want to save money.
    Many thanks,
    Drew.

Hi
    Sorry if this is a bit late in the day - was just browsing and saw your question.
    I rented a Nissan Versa a couple of times last November. Both cars were basic. They had AC but, rather endearingly, both had wind up windows. It is quite a small car by US standards and a Focus is probably a reasonable comparison though the Versa felt a bit smaller inside to me. I don't know how big your suitcases are but I think it might be a bit of struggle. Probably if you are staying in one place and doing days out this won't be an issue. If you are travelling around and might have to park with all your stuff in the car then I doubt you will be able to get it all out of sight.

If you are thinking..."now she tells me".... sometimes you get forcibly upgraded at no extra cost. I had another hire car on the same trip which was supposed to be a Versa but they didn't have any. I was made to have a mid-size car (no extra charge) and it was quite a bit bigger. You can always pay to upgrade when you get there if you want something bigger. I don't know how that compares cost wise.

Hope you have a good trip and sorry I didn't see your post to offer this sooner.
  • Dux1977
    Options
    Hi all

I am taking my husband away for a surprise long weekend in spain next month for his 40th Birthday. We are flying into girona airport. I have booked (to pay on arrival) car hire for three days with goldcar via doyouspain. The price seemed very good on the surface (£40 for 3 days hire) but having done a bit more digging it seems that it isn't such a good deal and that they have a track record of adding lots of hidden costs and poor customer service (I'm going to cancel this booking as i really cannot find a word said about these companies) . Does anyone know of a straight forward car hire company that gives you a quote that actually the price that you pay including all the insurances without having to pay a 300 euro deposit? Also I would like a hire company that does full tank out full tank in? I really don't like this full out empty in especially as we are only going for 3 days, I have also found out that they (and most other car hire companies in mainland spain) drastically bump up the price of the fuel! Alamo have quoted £55 for the 3 days and operate full out full in policy, but again they don't fare well on review sites. I don't mind paying a bit extra not to have any nasty surprises at the airport! Am I asking for too much? It seems that car hire in mainland spain is a nightmare and i spent most of yesterday trawling the net looking for a reputable straightforward car hire company!
    Elena
  • ljema
    ljema Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I need to hire a mini bus in August ... either a 12 or a 15 seater - any ideas on a cheap site? Can't find one which is under £800 and that doubles the cost of the week away?
  • mochynmawr
    Options
    I hired a car from Hertz during my visit to australia, all fine etc on returning it . I have now been charged 30 odd australian dollars on my credit card a month after I returned the car and on returning to the UK. No indication at all about what this charge was for. Does anybody else have similar exparience also any advice on what to do would be appreciated
  • rednca
    rednca Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I need to hire a 7 seater vehicle for 2 weeks in August...in Portugal. We're staying at Luz, which is over an hour from Faro. I have trawled all the sites I can think of, but they are all coming in at £900 and much, much more. Any suggestions would be welcome. We've been twice before but only for a week but managed to get a minivan for a reasonable cost. Thanks, in advance.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback