Letter from employer stating new minimum wage and I'm on more than this.

barginpleasure
barginpleasure Posts: 48 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
As title, friend got a letter from employer stating that the minimum wage is to go up in October. She is 19 on £6.05 an hour but new minimum is £4.98 and wonder if they can then put her down to the minimum in October.
The employee pay review is timed with the increase of minimum wage so the letter is a bit premature.
It does not say I will go down but wonder if they either need to send this out or if they are just making her aware she is on more.
It also says about a scheme and worded that she should have details of the scheme but she doesn't.
Also letter is not dated or signed from the manager. She is poor at admin for a manager. Also it is a national employer and this letter is just from her not the head office.
Not been to see her yet as letter just in but wanted to get an idea of what may happen and more so what can not happen.

Comments

• Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    How long have you worked there? If it is less than 1 year then basically yes they can do this and you have little comeback.

If it is over 1 year then yes they can do this but they must give you notice and even then you may have a case against it...however until it happens I wouldn't rock any boats personally.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Those are the rates for Oct 11.

Oct 12 they could be different.

has friend moaned about pay recently?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Those are the rates for Oct 11.

Oct 12 they could be different.

has friend moaned about pay recently?

NMW rates for October 2012 have already been announced. There is no change from £4.98 for the 18-20 age group.

If the OP's friend is 19 now, they won't be 21 on 1 October 2012 though might be before the 2013 review implementation.
  • Mmm will see what happens nearer October then if they give notice of this as this letter doesn't even say your rate will be going down. It is almost a statement to the government change not a notice of reduction but as said there is no change for 18-20.

Thanks.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Or, her employer might have simply given-out letters to every employee for their information.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    As title, friend got a letter from employer stating that the minimum wage is to go up in October. She is 19 on £6.05 an hour but new minimum is £4.98 and wonder if they can then put her down to the minimum in October.
    The employee pay review is timed with the increase of minimum wage so the letter is a bit premature.
    It does not say I will go down but wonder if they either need to send this out or if they are just making her aware she is on more.
    It also says about a scheme and worded that she should have details of the scheme but she doesn't.
    Also letter is not dated or signed from the manager. She is poor at admin for a manager. Also it is a national employer and this letter is just from her not the head office.
    Not been to see her yet as letter just in but wanted to get an idea of what may happen and more so what can not happen.
    I'm a bit confused by this part of your post. Is the "her" your "friend" or the manager? If it's the manager why do you need to go and see her if it's your friend who had the letter and is the employee?
    If you work in the same place as your friend you haven't exactly made that clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure