PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long can you keep homemade mincemeat for?

Hi

I've just found - lurking in the back of the fridge some mincemeat I made last October. I think I opened it around xmas time and used half of it. I've looked in the jar and it looks ok but as its nearly 12 months... do you think I might kill off my hubby if I make him some mince pies?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Comments

• Did it have any alcohol in it? I made some one year (with brandy in), used half, left in the cupboard for 12 months and used the remainder the following Christmas - I'm still here! As long as its not mouldy, should be ok! (But it is up to you!)
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Yes it had a good glug on Brandy in it!:T

Thanks - I was thinking it would be okay as it didn't have any mould etc in it. I will probably give it a go
  • If you're making mince pies out of it it should heat up enough in the oven to kill off any lurgies.
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you're making mince pies out of it it should heat up enough in the oven to kill off any lurgies.

Thanks - hadn't thought about that bit of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure