Aviva Named Driver NCD help

Have come here as I have nowhere else I can ask for help...

I have been a named driver on my mothers insurance policy for 6 years with Norwich Union/Aviva. I passed my text 5.5 years ago, but stayed on her policy as a named driver as I did not use the car enough to warrant my own, and could not really afford it. We did so under the assurance (including on the policy documentation) that I would be building up a No Claims Discount (as is on the renewals page on their website, the link to which I cannot post as a new user). The car was registered with my mother as the owner, and myself as the main Named Driver.

Now I wish to ensure the car under my own name, and have transferred the ownership to myself. Rang Aviva to insure it only to be told that Named Drivers DO NOT build up a NCD with Aviva, and that my policy will be as if starting from nothing, making it highly unaffordable. Was unhappy with the quote and checked the terms on the website; rang Aviva again, was told first that Drivewrs do build up a NCD, was transferred again, and told by them again that Drivers do not build a discount, and was hung up on in the middle of a sentence.

Has anyone had any experience with actually trying to take out a NCD having been a named driver, and what can I do? My policy runs soon. I have rung 2 different numbers and been passed around getting different information from everywhere. I can't see that as a Named Driver for 6 years, with over 5 years on my (full) licence and never having made a claim, my quote can be over £1100 when I should have built up a NCD that (based on an online estimate) should take the insurance to £430.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you have it in writing that you were building up NCD with them for being a named driver with them, then you need to appeal their decision, using their own paperwork and their own website as the basis for the appeal. (Assuming your mother was comprehensively insured).

If that fails, then escalate the matter down their complaints policy.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    http://www.aviva.co.uk/car/

it's a headline point in there.

Speak to them on Monday, in office hours, and escalate it from the callcentre staff.
    If you have no joy, write an offical complaint, that as it was the main condition you chose to insure with them, and so you would like a complete refund of all premiums paid to date, or you will complain to the FOS. That should get their attention.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2011 at 5:47PM
    mikey72 wrote: »
    http://www.aviva.co.uk/car/

it's a headline point in there.

Speak to them on Monday, in office hours, and escalate it from the callcentre staff.
    If you have no joy, write an offical complaint, that as it was the main condition you chose to insure with them, and so you would like a complete refund of all premiums paid to date, or you will complain to the FOS. That should get their attention.

Aviva have provided the cover so there is no legitimate reason why on earth they should refund the premiums. OP you should concentrate on gathering evidence of them offering a named driver to build up no claims bonus. Motor insurance is an annual contract and underwriting changes each year so it may be possible that this option no longer applies - you will need to look at the most recent policy documents they sent you to see if it still applies.
  • mikey72
    edited 29 January 2011 at 5:56PM
    bouncyd!!! wrote: »
    Aviva have provided the cover so there is no legitimate reason why on earth they should refund the premiums. OP you should concentrate on gathering evidence of them offering a named driver to build up no claims bonus. Motor insurance is an annual contract and underwriting changes each year so it may be possible that this option no longer applies - you will need to look at the most recent policy documents they sent you to see if it still applies.

"No claims discount for named drivers on comprehensive car insurance policies when they take out their own Aviva policy "

If it's no longer applicable, the FSA would be interested in the website advertising it.
    If they haven't provided the cover advertised, including all the t&c's, it seems fair to ask for the years back when they wouldn't.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The link you posted shows offers for "new" drivers, and includes the NCB for named drivers. However is is unclear if the NCB for named drivers applies where policies for the main driver were issued prior to this offer.

The insured has had the cover they paid the premium for in prior years - as a named driver on the mother's policy - which is why there is no reason for Aviva to refund anything.
  • mikey72
    edited 29 January 2011 at 6:35PM
    bouncyd!!! wrote: »
    The link you posted shows offers for "new" drivers, and includes the NCB for named drivers. However is is unclear if the NCB for named drivers applies where policies for the main driver were issued prior to this offer.

The insured has had the cover they paid the premium for in prior years - as a named driver on the mother's policy - which is why there is no reason for Aviva to refund anything.

I can't see the word "new" in there. Only for the twelve weeks extra insurance.
    Unless you mean a new policy holder gets a different policy to anyone else as well, which doesn't sound likely.
    However, let the FOS and/or FSA decide. If the op has no joy, raise an official complaint to Aviva, if they don't settle, raise a complaint with the FOS, and report them to the FSA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure