Kia 7 year warranty

Person_one
Person_one Posts: 28,884
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I've never posted on this board before, please be gentle I know very little about cars!

I'm contemplating going against all my instincts and buying a new car rather than used. I know its not MSE but I'm about to start a new job with a 25 mile commute working shifts over 24 hours so I need more reliability than I've had in my previous <£500 cars!

What do people think of the 7 year Kia warranty? A picanto is just over £7k so essentially I suppose its a grand a year for a bit of security and peace of mind. The Kia website is very flash with not so much info though so I'm not sure what's in the small print.

Anyone have any advice or experience to share that might help a new car novice who's only ever owned rusty old bangers and is a bit terrified!

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can find a pre-reg one that might be a slightly more cost effective option.

Personally I think the 7 year warranty is great but just read it through and check what is not covered so you have no surprises.

The only draw back would be if you wanted to trade the car in, residuals are still poor(ish) so if you plan on keeping it for a number of years then why not.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    IIRC Kia currently "reset" the warranty on pre-owned cars (or preregistered ones) under a set age which is handy :) (I got an offer leaflet to that effect a few months back).

As for the warranty, from memory when I was last talking to the guy at my local dealership (we've had a Rio for nearly 7 years), their warranty is "bumper to bumper", the only things that aren't covered are normal service items (air filters and the like) and things like tyres/wipers, pretty much everything else is covered I believe, but again talk to the dealer.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate about getting another kia, the only problem we've had in the past 7 years that hasn't definitely been down to user error*, is the driver side door seal has gone a little funny/broken slightly at one end (the design of the Rio means that the last 2 inches of the seal on the drivers door opening tends to get knocked as you get in/out).

As Hintza says it's not going to be great for resale if you only plan on keeping it for a couple of years, but with the warranty it's the sort of car you could potentially buy and keep running fairly cheaply (the Rio works out at about £250 a year servicing) with little/no worries for years.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would hope to keep it for the full 7 years, I'm not a car enthusiast, so I won't be chomping at the bit for a prettier one as long as it still gets me to work and back!

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »

About the pre-owned, if I bought a 2 year old it would have a 5 year warranty? That seems generous!

Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.
  • I agree with all of the above; the seven year warranty is a watertight offer, and compared to ten years ago, Kia are building excellent cars. However the Picanto is easily the least-excellent of them all. If you could somehow raise your budget into the next model range, the C'eed (aka the new Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear) you'll get a much much better vehicle, certainly for commuting.
  • MarieMc
    MarieMc Posts: 241 Forumite
    +1 for the C'eed, 7yr Warranty sounds great.
    The flip side of sanity is the game.
  • sw67
    sw67 Posts: 82 Forumite
    My wife has the Venga - nice drive and i have not seen another one. Its like a small people carrier
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hintza wrote: »
    Don't assume. The warranties have changed recently so check it all out throughly and get it in writing.

IIRC on most of their cars up until about 6-12 months ago it was just 3 years.

I think the warranty reset only counts for cars bought from the dealer that were sold with the 7 year warranty to begin with and only if the car is under something like 6-12 months old.
  • A seven year warranty on a car is very bold indeed.

I think that it shows the commitment Kia have to the brand here in the UK and they must have great confidence in the build quality to offer this. Having such a long warranty can only be a good thing as other manufacturers may follow suit.

I really cannot see how you can go wrong with a car for under £7K and a 7 year warranty. It makes you wonder how they do it!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Can someone just confirm if the 7 year waranty does cover any No of owners during those 7 years, service and mileage accepted of course? ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport