Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

Comments

• zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    £50 from the 1st of November...

Just remember that for a six month balance transfer of £5000 it really means 2% APR on top of whatever they offer you - they are simply getting the cash upfront in the first payment.
  • WaltD
    WaltD Posts: 127 Forumite
    £50 from the 1st of November...
    It gets worse!!! Just 15 minutes after my posting above, I received a letter from MBNA telling me that for balance transfers and credit card cheques the maximum fee will increase from 1 Nov to £75 !!!

I guess too many people have been using their credit card cheques as an intermediate stopping-off-point to get 0% interest cash from other cards!
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Looks like Egg will have a boom in new applications.

Martin, I fell a "apply for Egg, its the only real SBT card" article coming on (with your affiliate link of course)...
  • imark1
    imark1 Posts: 35 Forumite
    It gets worse!!!  Just 15 minutes after my posting above, I received a letter from MBNA telling me that for balance transfers and credit card cheques the maximum fee will increase from 1 Nov to £75 !!!

I guess too many people have been using their credit card cheques as an intermediate stopping-off-point to get 0% interest cash from other cards!

I have had the same letter this week. I think I will cancel my 3 MBNA cards when my current 2.9% balance transfer runs out and apply for brand new cards instead of just using their "special" offers

Tim
  • Barclaycard are doing a 2.9% balance transfer rate for existing customers for the life of balance.

Just cleared my Barclaycard today and will transfer my Lloyds card (5.9%) tomorrow.
  • legin_2
    legin_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Got a new MBNA Platinum card about 12 months ago with 0% bal transfer which I used to the full. About 4 weeks ago (2 months after paying off the full balance) they phoned and offered bal transfer at 3.9%, told them that that was no good and I'd like 0%, they came back with 1.9% for 9 months, but with a one-off charge (this is new) of 2% or £35, which I'm now taking full advantage of. They seem to do this on a regular basis.
  • ANB_2
    ANB_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    :);)
    Frizzell - CSMA (Part of the Liverpool Victoria Banking Services Limited) is currently offering me 0% for 6 months on any number of balance transfers I do!!. (Don’t know how long this offer is on for)

I did not need to barter - I was just shopping around.

I have been a cardholder for over 10 years and my credit limit is over £10,000 (Don’t know whether this had anything to do with the offer!!)
    Charles J
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    :);)
    Frizzell - CSMA (Part of the Liverpool Victoria Banking Services Limited) is currently offering me 0% for 6 months on any number of balance transfers I do!!. (Don’t know how long this offer is on for)
    If it's like the Saga offer (same LV group), then it will go on till the end of February and you can use their convenience cheques to deposit into your bank a/c fee-free.
  • ANB_2
    ANB_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    :-* :-*
    Many Thanks Johnllew!

I will at the end of January 05 or mid Feb 05 pay off the entire balance, and then request a final balance transfer up to my credit limit for a further 6 months!! (6 months o% interest starts from the day of transfer)

This would guarantee me o% up until approximately August 2005 - Not bad eh?
    Charles J
  • I have a fist direct gold card with a 15000 limit, the 6 month interest free ended a few months ago so I haven't used it. When I rang to cancel it I was offered a 'transfer' to a black visa giving 6 months 0% and ability to keep my existing limit, useful as I card tart regularly. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure