Debt Recovery Letter Received

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 6:52PM
    Options
    They are not unconnected. I had a dispute with a train conductor who told me I'd receive a fine in the post. A few days later I receive a letter asking for the same amount from a debt collection agency. They certainly are connected and I know what they 'debt' is for. However, I haven't been given a chance to dispute with the train company. The debt collection letter gives no details of the train company, the debt, the offence or anything so in the circumstances, I should surely ignore it. Is it acceptable to send people letters claiming you owe them money but giving no explanation whatsoever?

A penalty fare notice is not £105.56 though....

- yes you can send whatever you want, it could be just an 'admin mistake'
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Also, your "dispute" with the train company will likely not get you anywhere.

They're not likely to accept your reasons for sitting in 1st class. Surely the seats saying 1st class on them is hint enough and of course, ignorance is no excuse anyway. Trust me, they've likely heard it all.

If you don't want to engage with the DCA, it's your call but that comes with it's own risk. Replying in writing without acknowledging the debt and asking for proof is the best way forward.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think that responding to what amounts to a phishing letter and giving a DCA a person to harass is a very bad idea though. With a name and no other details and no response from the person they are seeking, I see no way that they can take things further.

I'll bide my time and see if the train company wish to issue a fine or warning.
  • StopIt
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think that responding to what amounts to a phishing letter and giving a DCA a person to harass is a very bad idea though. With a name and no other details and no response from the person they are seeking, I see no way that they can take things further.

I'll bide my time and see if the train company wish to issue a fine or warning.

That's what the Prove-It letters are for.

You don't accept legal responsibility for the debt and you put the onus on them to actually come up with the goods so to speak. If I was in your position I'd be wanting to put the DCA on the back foot because there's nothing stopping the DCA issuing a Letter Before Action at any point now, regardless of whether you think they're being fair or not.

These DCA guys usually hope that people either get scared and pay, or just ignore it as they then don't need to provide much evidence at all to win a CCJ by default.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks again. All things considered, I don't think it's worth entering a conversation with people like this. I don't believe that they'll attempt to win a CCJ nor that they'd be successful if they did. They haven't located the person they are attempting to charge. I think therefore it's a question of whether I'm willing to pay the amount (I'm not) or whether I accept them chasing me for a while (I'm ok with that). If whoever issued the fine expected to have it paid up, they should have contacted me, not sent it to a DCA immediately.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks again. All things considered, I don't think it's worth entering a conversation with people like this. I don't believe that they'll attempt to win a CCJ nor that they'd be successful if they did. They haven't located the person they are attempting to charge. I think therefore it's a question of whether I'm willing to pay the amount (I'm not) or whether I accept them chasing me for a while (I'm ok with that). If whoever issued the fine expected to have it paid up, they should have contacted me, not sent it to a DCA immediately.

I don't think you should ignore the rail fine! If you do you'll be posting on here down the line about having a CCJ and screwed credit history
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But it isn't rail fine! It's a letter from a DCA claiming I have outstanding credit! If I get a rail fine, I fully intend to cooperate.
  • StopIt
    Options

Again, I'm speaking in the general when it comes to DCA's. And so you know, they can and will throw a CCJ case in for low amounts like this as the bar to get a judgment in default is very low. Do not think they wont because they haven't cleared your bar of evidence because that's asking for trouble.

If this is for the train fine though, again, this wont be a CCJ they'll be applying for, but a magistrates court fine as avoidance of paying a penalty fare is not a county court matter.

What train company is this regarding? Have you investigated on their penalty fare procedures?

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 June 2017 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Daniels Silverman are a standard trace and contact debt collector.

So they will be acting for a client.

The letter is purposely vague, in order that you will contact them to obtain further information (as off October 1st this year the law will change so that anyone chasing a debt has to provide information and proof of liability at first contact).

At present you can only speculate what this is about, you think it "may" be about a train fare fine, of course it may be something else entirely, the problem you now face is this, if it is about the fine, and you avoid contact, its almost certain the client (rail operator) will escalate this to the magistrates court.

If you want to avoid this happening, all you need do is send them the "provit letter", and you will then have your answer, for the sake of a second class stamp, and 10 mins of your time, you could avoid a lot of trouble.

Fines are a priority debt because the magistrates' court has the power to send you to prison for non-payment. The magistrates' court may fine you for committing a driving offence, not paying a fixed penalty notice, not having a television licence or many other criminal offences.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options

Oh my word....

1: A CCJ is a civil claim (and if they did seek that and you didn't respond, they would win)
    2: This is a criminal claim, so magistrates for you good sir.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure