Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all! That pension clarification is necessary for me too, SL - I'd never really sussed that defined benefit and defined contribution were different :o I try my best, but my brain glazes over at this stuff.

I *do* think it's important to use original sources where you can, which is why I've quoted the government website. But they're so flabbily wordy, they can be a real pain. Summarising is good :j

Although the research seems to say I can have the pensions merged without any problem, I'm reluctant to do so - pensions legislation seems to change constantly these days, I need to de-risk that little pension fund, and I'm of a mind to transfer it over to the company that my lovely Norfolk rellie recommends. We'll see, I'm not doing anything today because my brain is glitching in the heat :D

Z - yep, I'll be in the market for a fan replacement. The laptop was cleaned recently, you may remember, and that quieted the fan down for ages, but I'm expecting that once this weather breaks, I can limp along for a bit longer with the existing fan.

Today:
    - take paypal up on their offer of £5.
    - garden: put antkiller down, cut some rhubarb, do some weeding.
    - find something to do in the house. There's only a million things :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Z - yep, I'll be in the market for a fan replacement. The laptop was cleaned recently, you may remember, and that quieted the fan down for ages, but I'm expecting that once this weather breaks, I can limp along for a bit longer with the existing fan.

They're not mega-bucks you know, and the earlier you buy one, the more wear you'll get out of it. (At this stage of the game your laptop will die before a replacement fan will.)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,284 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    They're not mega-bucks you know, and the earlier you buy one, the more wear you'll get out of it. (At this stage of the game your laptop will die before a replacement fan will.)

Z is very wise about these things Karmcat.:cool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

What she said...

Ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure in this case...
    :D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    beanielou wrote: »
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    What she said...

Ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure in this case...
    :D

All very true :kisses3::kisses3::kisses3: and Z's point is not something I'd thought of! :o

Right. As soon as I've done a few bits and bobs, I'm off :D though I think I may be getting some thunder, in which I'm staying home. So glad I have a laptop, and I can just walk it to the repair shop :)
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I got **lots** of thunder yesterday! So didn't walk in to get the laptop repaired, that's a job for today. Though first, I need to:

- put the washing machine on (forecast not great for this afternoon)
    - fiddle with my hotmail account, it won't send emails to my sister, I've changed the password and so has she, but it doesn't help.
    - renew antkiller around the house.

Ginger Cat reappeared yesterday after the storm, and was adorably friendly, though when I experimented with stroking his tum he didn't like that. After that, it got to the stage where he just flumped himself down on my shoes and lay there being wonderful :) I tried to call him into the back garden when I had to go rake up some grass to put in the bin, but he really liked the front doorstep :rotfl: so thats where he stayed, looking all put-upon that I wasn't there :rotfl:
    Save
  • beanielou
    Options
    I love ginger cats :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Karmacat
    Options
    Me too, beanie! I just started to read A Streetcat Named Bob, so it was extra-appealing when Ginger Cat reappeared :)

I went out yesterday on a proper long walk, ie a couple of hours, and feel utterly exhausted today, even though we were shaded and it was much cooler. I forget how bad I am at doing things outside the house :(

Still, good news this morning: thanks to 2 150 point surveys in 10 days, I was able to claim my yougov £50 today :):):) 12 surveys in June, so my yougov account tells me, thats a *lot*.

I wanted to walk into the local town centre today, but I feel really rough, so not walking anywhere, as I want to be able to go to my sister's tomorrow while my niece is there. Garden tidying, foraging notes, thats it. Maybe Ginger Cat will drop by :)
  • beanielou
    Options
    The Streetcat film is good too.
    Saw it last month.
    Take it easy. :).

Well done you on You Gov :j. :j

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

.......Still, good news this morning: thanks to 2 150 point surveys in 10 days, I was able to claim my yougov £50 today :):):) 12 surveys in June, so my yougov account tells me, thats a *lot*.

Well done on the YouGov claim:T:beer:. I'm still a bit short of my 5000 points but have been pretty preoccupied with family 'issues' so this month's political whirlwind has passed me by with no surveys done:(.

Do you log on to your YouGov account at frequent intervals to see if there are any surveys for you or do you just respond to email invitations from them? I never seem to find any in my inbox these days, except for an Oracle one today:(

Sorry I haven't been around and online for a while but have just had a good catch-up of all my favourite MSE diaries. I'm glad that your rat situation is coming under control but hope the dreaded mould problem (the bane of my life too:o) isn't rearing its ugly head again.

Please don't overdo things. This weather is enough to sap the energy of even the most robust people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure