MSE News: Sky TV customers face £30/year price rise

Sky TV customers could be hit with price hikes of up to £30/year after it confirmed the charges start in September ...
Read the full story:

Sky TV customers face £30/year price rise

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• So Sky Sport users get 2 years free broadband? Not if you live in the Brecon Beacons and the Phone lines are from the dark ages.
    We still have to pay £35 per month for a ropey satellite service.

Maybe MSE would like to look in to Satellite service charges sometime?

Me i'm off to BT sport asap and no, I won't be using BT's pathetic broadband service either!
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I feel Sky already ask enough for their TV & packages. I shall certainly be cancelling my out of contract subscription... Freeview all the way.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Join when there's a half price code to get the dish installed, and keep the Sky+HD Digibox when the contract is up.

Staying after the contract ends? If you like pain, I suppose.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 18 August 2014 at 4:57PM
    Ironic that Sky have raised prices so much since 2010 when they lobbied hard for the BBC licence fee to be cut (or "frozen") to help struggling consumers...

F1 (to name an example) is now on Sky as a direct result of the licence fee situation, so they've helped licence fee payers save a few pounds a year. Except those licence fee payers now need to pay £522/year if they want to watch live F1 (HD is an additional cost).
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They put the prices up to counteract the standard process of offering massive discounts to tempt leavers back.

Dodgy ground now, too expensive...
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 August 2014 at 3:31AM
    I see the business model more like a farm.

Sky buys a cash cow (customer) by advertising and commission, which produces £28 and more per month. The dish is the milking frame, and the Sky+HD is the cup that sucks on your wallet.

I see these guys with clipboards on stands in shopping centres as cowboys, ready to rope you in. Quidco is slightly better, at least you get some money back. The cowboys just take their cut, and put you on a slave ship to Jamaica. The contract is the shackle.
  • Sky and Virgin customers always make me chuckle. I can't believe such gullible souls exist that are prepared to pay well over the odds for TV repeats, lousy shows, adverts and sports coverage in addition to paying for the TV licence.

Not sure how the big matches and movies would get televised if everyone decided to get rid of Sky and Virgin.

My advice is everyone dump them and the cash cow would be slaughtered.
  • Kamaya
    Kamaya Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Sky and Virgin customers always make me chuckle. I can't believe such gullible souls exist that are prepared to pay well over the odds for TV repeats, lousy shows, adverts and sports coverage in addition to paying for the TV licence.

Chuckle away, hope you're enjoying your soaps & Gavin & Stacey repeats - I've got box-sets of Hannibal & Ray Donovan to catch up with.
    Best competition wins:
    2011 - £3,695 Tag Heuer watch!!
    Debt Free, thanks to MSE Forum advice and support.
  • Sky just hiked my subscription by £48 per year!!!

The increase justification is on the basis of all the new and supposedly exciting things they've added. Until that is your contract anniversary when we'll stick it to you as much as we think the market will bear. These are things they advertise "at no extra cost"!

Was I asked if I wanted catch-up TV, On demand, etc., etc., no.

I've got to the point now where I'll start cutting cost by getting rid of stuff I can live without. Hmm, when was the last time I had the time to watch a movie?

Maybe I'll ditch Sky Sport soon. If that happens, why not go the whole way and ditch Sky altogether for something like FreeSat.

Sky can only keep hiking their prices for so long. I can't see how they justify a 6% increase. £840+ per year is an awful lot of money for all that programming I don't need and/or don't have time to watch.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Ring up, express concern at how much your bill has increased -make sure it's cancellations you moan to .....and like magic a nice offer will be added to off-set the rise.

The game has never varied with Sky.
    No-one who reads MSE should be paying full price. The advice is given out often enough !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family