PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

change estate agents - any experiance?

Options
I have sold property before, but never been so unhappy with an agent I've wanted to change - so not sure on a couple of points!

We had an initial tie in period of 12 weeks which is coming to an end in about 2 weeks. We have to give them two weeks written notice.

1) Can we give them notice two weeks before the tie in ends, so we can go to market with someone else straight away?

2) During that two weeks notice should we expect them to continue marketing our property, or will we just loose two weeks as we will be effectively off the market?

Is it a good idea to continue with another agent straight away or leave it for a couple of weeks?
Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support
:beer:

Comments

• bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1) Can we give them notice two weeks before the tie in ends, so we can go to market with someone else straight away?

Yes, but check your contract in case any strange/unusual clauses which suggest otherwise.
    2) During that two weeks notice should we expect them to continue marketing our property

Yes, but check your contract in case any strange/unusual clauses which suggest otherwise.
    Is it a good idea to continue with another agent straight away or leave it for a couple of weeks?

Depends how quickly you want to sell.
  • MadelinesMum
    Options
    Hi, my contract states 14 days notice if within the 12 weeks but after the 12 weeks are up it states "reasonable notice".

You will have to check yours as it may be different.

Then, if you sold to someone EA1 had introduced you will be liable to pay them fees as well as EA2. Luckily I had a list of names as they sent me a text each to to confirm viewing.

My main problem now us getting EA1 to remove my property from Rightmove etc... I've asked EA by letter, email and through the rightmove link but it's still on there. Having read reviews about them, they are notorious for continuing to market (should have read the reviews first).

Good luck.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Then, if you sold to someone EA1 had introduced you will be liable to pay them fees as well as EA2.

That's not usually the case with sole agency contracts.

If you sold to somebody EA1 introduced, you would pay fees to EA1, but not EA2. (You should also make sure that EA2 has nothing to do with the offer/purchase.)

If EA2's contract suggests that fees should be payable to them as well, I would ask them to change the contract, or find another EA.
  • phoenix_w
    Options
    Been there, done that. Give your two weeks notice with an explicit date on when the property should be no longer marketed, insist on written/emailed confirmation of the instruction. Once you've got your confirmation, phone up EA2 and get them to measure up & take pictures and tell them the date at which to begin marketing.

On the day you expect EA1 to stop marketing, check rightmove/zoopla and complain immediately by phone and email if it's still up.

I'd consider a gap of 2 days between being off the market with EA1 and being on the market with EA2, just to deal with any fallout if EA1 have still got their ads up on rightmove.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    phoenix_w wrote: »

Once you've got your confirmation, phone up EA2

...ask them for a copy of their standard contract,
    ...negotiate fee,
    ...negotiate minimum agency period down to 6/8 weeks max,
    ...go through the contract with a fine-tooth comb, ask about anything you are not clear about,
    ... insist that they change any terms that you are not happy with

and get them to measure up & take pictures and tell them the date at which to begin marketing.

Always read an EA's contract thoroughly, ask lots of questions, especially "what if...".
  • dazedandconfused_123
    Options
    Thanks for your help and advice

Have dropped a quick e mail to EA1 with our notice and asking them to confirm the instruction and exact date in writing.

OH has e mailed a couple of potential agents - One in particular will match the fees we had with EA1 and states no tie in period (just the two weeks notice) so they may well get a go!

Let's hope it all falls into place this time
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills