Best platform for investment trusts?

Im thinking lumps sum plus regular monthly investment,looking for lowest charges for the platform and monthly investments..thanks..
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Buy direct from the fund managers through a savings scheme?
  • SomeUser
    SomeUser Posts: 197 Forumite
    I use iii.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Buy direct from the fund managers through a savings scheme?
    +1, wot he said.

Unless you're needing to put an ISA wrapper around them all, in which case they'll need to be on one platform.

Youinvest is an example of a platform that offers regular monthly investing with purchases at £1.50 a go and extends it to a variety of (but not all) investment trusts. Many other brokers or platforms offer discounted monthly purchases but only on FTSE 350 shares or sometimes a few ETFs.

You can change what it is you buy each month so you don't need to buy 3 investment trusts at £1.50x3 each month; you can just buy a lot of trust A in month 1 for £1.50 and trust B in month 2 and so on.
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2014 at 9:07AM
    I use iWeb £5/trade no holding charges, but they no longer have a regular saver option and have restricted the range of things you can invest in - no VCT's for instance. Also their website is horrid.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    A guy I know has his whole £500k portfolio in Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust and has done well out of it - probably better than most investors who have tried to be clever.. Only problem I can see is if he sold it in one go he would get clobbered with Capital Gains Tax. But if he is just using it to supplement his pension selling a bit eavch year he should avoid that.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been investing in f&c for decades now, but split between that and graphite. Graphite has outperformed lol
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2014 at 5:35PM
    Hi all,yes im not bothered about the isa wrapper.. i just note that my first purchase of PLI on TDW they charged the standard share dealing commission of £12 and stamp duty of £14 so im hoping to buy bulk or monthly for less than this on PLI and others..?
    EDIT i hadnt realised i could buy direct from for example invesco perpetual. Im guessing their charges are much lower than via TDW?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,yes im not bothered about the isa wrapper.. i just note that my first purchase of PLI on TDW they charged the standard share dealing commission of £12 and stamp duty of £14 so im hoping to buy bulk or monthly for less than this on PLI and others..?
    EDIT i hadnt realised i could buy direct from for example invesco perpetual. Im guessing their charges are much lower than via TDW?

SOOOO much lower. I invest with them direct and it is pennies rather than pounds. And I started from 20 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure