The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• lollol
    lollol Posts: 420 Forumite
    Can someone please help.

Last year i transferred my money (ISA) from from halifax into birmingham midshires. This was prevous years money.
    I did not fund this for 2010/2011.
    I however opened another ISA with Barclays.
    My question now is I need to move this money elsewhere ie ~Halifax. Can I move the money from both accounts and then fund it for this year?
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lollol wrote: »
    Can someone please help.

Last year i transferred my money (ISA) from from halifax into birmingham midshires. This was prevous years money.
    I did not fund this for 2010/2011.
    I however opened another ISA with Barclays.
    My question now is I need to move this money elsewhere ie ~Halifax. Can I move the money from both accounts and then fund it for this year?

This thread is for discussion of instant-access savings accounts, not ISAs. Please ask ISA questions in the ISA sub-forum.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    lollol wrote: »
    ... Can I move the money from both accounts and then fund it for this year?
    Yes, simply complete your chosen new provider's ISA transfer form (one copy for each old ISA account) and let them arrange the transfers. You don't have to wait for the transfers to complete in order to subscribe your 2011/12 funds.
  • Tao
    Tao Posts: 1 Newbie
    just remortgaged for building work but not starting for couple of months , where is the best place i can stick the money to make a bit of interest in the meantime....
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Tao wrote: »
    just remortgaged for building work but not starting for couple of months , where is the best place i can stick the money to make a bit of interest in the meantime....
    Check out the usual comparison sites - look at instant access accounts if the funds are only likely to be in for a couple of months:

http://moneyfacts.co.uk/compare/savings/variable-rate/introductory-bonus/

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/

http://www.moneymadeclear.org.uk/tables/bespoke/SavingsAccount
  • IanIan
    IanIan Posts: 70 Forumite
    My parents are looking for an instant access account paying a decent rate (currently with Nationwide - not a dcecent rate!) that has a passbook. They are in their 70s and don't like plastic cards and don't have internet access. Best I can find so far is C&G paying 1.9% for the first year. Does anyone know of anything better?
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Really? What!
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • Hern
    Hern Posts: 464 Forumite
    Oldies but goodies:

My mother in law is 83 years old, does not have a computer, and so is not on the Internet. She is a very independent woman, physically and mentally fit. So we don't interfere in her financial affairs or the way she chooses to manage them.

However: the other day, she revealed that she would like to get out of her Nationwide instant access savings account, which on the £16,000 she has in there has been paying her 0.5% interest since the end of 2008.

Can anyone recommend a savings account -- with a more generous return than Nationwide's piffling 0.5% -- for someone who is NOT computer savvy and CANNOT operate it via the Internet???

Thanks.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Post Office is paying 2.1% which includes a bonus of 2% for first 12 months. Access is by online, phone, branch post or cashpoint. Sadly the best rates are for online rates which are 3.00% plus.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hern wrote: »
    Oldies but goodies:...Can anyone recommend a savings account -- with a more generous return than Nationwide's piffling 0.5% -- for someone who is NOT computer savvy and CANNOT operate it via the Internet???...

If she's happy dealing through the post, then KRBS offer 3%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback