Where's best to capitalise with a short term investment?

I'm an apprentice whom is undertaking a degree (fully paid for), I've recently been able to save up around £5k with just over a year to go until I finish.
I want to invest my money in something which will set me up better for the future. Isa's don't appeal as there is such a low return. I want to start redeveloping property but at the minute it's not the best idea whilst progressing into a busy final year of uni.

Just wanted some advise on what I can do with the money while I wait for the Right time to buy a house. Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Dejay20 wrote: »
    I'm an apprentice whom is undertaking a degree (fully paid for), I've recently been able to save up around £5k with just over a year to go until I finish.
    I want to start redeveloping property but at the minute it's not the best idea whilst progressing into a busy final year of uni.

Thanks

With £5K you might be able to redevelop a shed lol.

If that is your entire wealth then don't gamble it away. Cash ISA returns are low but you won't lose your money; anything that might give a higher return comes with risks. Maybe your best bet is one of these current accounts that pays interest for the first year if you keep moving money in/out.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If eligible, you could open a TSB Classic Plus, a Nationwide Flex direct and a Tesco or BOS Vantage current account, cycling £1000 around monthly between the accounts and moving the interest to the BOS?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Throw a Halifax Reward into the mix, too - easy £60 a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure