DIY lights in jars/bottles

zippychick
zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Hi

i have searched but maybe haven't used the right keyword so forgive me if there's already a thread out there

Has anyone any experience of making diy mason jar lights?

there's so many ways of doing it - glowsticks, glow in the dark paint... my head's spinning trying to find the best way. Ideally no wires...

Anyone ever made anything like this? I like the idea of the permanent ones rather than the glowsticks which will run out after a few hours

Wedding in November so would love to do for that.

All help/ advice/links appreciated! Fairies/not fairies accepted (and other ideas)

Zip

1a36cbaa02ef22f1d6059c394cc8a619.jpg
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
Norn Iron club member #380

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We did this in Scouts & cheated sideways with battery powered tealights from the poundshop.
    The results looked charming and prevented a lot of scorched fingers etc!

Permanence is relative, not absolute. Unless you want to run a string of mains powered lights in? (Eep on aesthetic grounds.)

Have fun!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    there are versions online made with glow in the dark paint so are more infinite than the glowstick version :)

Like this

but im going round in circles at all the different ways!!!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I've made a few but so far I'm rubbish at it, I've tried with crepe paper, it rips very easily and is hard to get smooth, I've tried painting, it wipes of easily and was streaky, I've tried a small bit of paint mixed with glue and using a sponge to dab it on, it came out uneven but it's been the best so far. I've now bought some spray glass frosting paint but I've not tried that yet. I've used both tea lights and strings of poundland battery operated lights, it really depends on what look your going for, the string of lights are very bright and the tea light is more subdued and it's nice when it flickers.
    Sorry the above is probably not much use to you but they are fun to make.
  • As I've seen the images, Well, is possible to make that with the help of light as well as night glow paint but it would be best to use light rather than paint. You should choose a way which is more convenient, easy and fast. I would recommend you to visit DIY project sharing websites to know more about. For an example: https://www.thingiverse.com/.
  • The battery-powered tealights could be a good option for lighting them - they last a good while and you can just replace the batteries when they do run out.
    We got some for Halloween from Poundworld that were £1 for four and they lasted really well, we've used them the past three years for about five hours each time and they haven't run out of battery yet. :-)
    Or you could look at the small strings of battery-powered lights they have on sale for Christmas now. They'll look more twinkly than 'glowy' but it would give a lovely effect. They're in most pound shops too.
  • I make things similar to these - and I use battery tea lights. Far easier.
    I use glass paints, tissue paper, beads and glass pebbles to create different variations.
    Have a loot at my FB page to see them (Hunter's Moon Pagan Jewellery & Gifts) for a few of the designs I have created - might give you some ideas.
  • I'm curious how they worked out. I'm making something similar for a bell tent chandelier. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure