Best place to buy craft items

Options
Kit1
Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hi

I was wondering if anyone buys or know the best and cheapest way/place to buy craft items eg card toppers, paint, wooden shapes/boxes etc.

I have spent hours searching the internet and there are so many l know but this is the first time l have done this as it is a new project l have been asked to source them cheaply.

Many thanks
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• trekkerdude
    trekkerdude Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Kit1 - if you're in the UK then places like The Works, The Range, any of the pound shops, fleabay can be good for getting bargains.

The works has a load of wooden boxes atm for approx £3 so should be a help
    Time is the Fire in which we Burn - Star Trek Generations

Current Projects:
    1. Scarlet Wizard by Dimensions
    2. Crochet double bed throw
  • esbm
    esbm Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Pound land seems to have increased its range of craft stuff recently.
    Also 'tiger' although I don't think they have that many shops
    LBM Sept 2012 ~£44 Sept 15: £~5233
    £10/day May-Sept: £609.04 Oct: £19.255/£300
    Sell £1000 challenge £330.64/£500
  • SallyWilliams_2
    Options
    Not sure what's the best shop to get craft items from. I'm really not good with recommending stores. However, whenever I need an item, I search the internet so I will know where's the place to get it from. I usually buy mine at Home Depot. :)
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure what's the best shop to get craft items from. I'm really not good with recommending stores. However, whenever I need an item, I search the internet so I will know where's the place to get it from. I usually buy mine at Home Depot. :)
    This is a UK site so making suggestions of a US retailer isn't really much help!
  • kategregory
    kategregory Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can recommend myself for certain items but if you'd like to PM me for wooden items I'd be more than happy to redirect you to our FB page. x
    Garden Designing available for the fraction of the costs!:D
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used Crafty Crocodiles site before for a few bits for my wedding their service was really good and they seemed to do quite a bit
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    My craft ideas come from thinking outside the box. I browse the craft section at The Range, pick up a few ideas, then search through my collection of old packaging, fabric, wool, ribbon, glossy pictures, foil, plastics, aluminium drinks cans, and make something from that. My craft is made from recycled materials, I don't believe in paying for little packages of prettiness, when there is so much out there free.

If I do buy something it is always second hand, from car boot sales and charity shops. Our Age UK shop sells clothing and bedding items for £1, there is a lot of fabric in a duvet cover or a flared skirt. Men's shirts are particularly suited to patchwork and making cushion covers. I am also a member of Scrapstore, a charity which collects unwanted items from mainly businesses, eg, end of line and excess or out of date stock. Google Scrapstore to see if there is a shop near you. Creativity is the key, sticking bits of shop bought embellishments on a card is too easy and costs money. Finding ways to adapt what you already have costs nothing but a bit of imagination.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Options
    Recycle and re invent all the way!!
  • summerlady_2
    Options
    As Ilona says, Scrapstore is a great resource. You could also try freecycle or similar. People often want to get rid of perfectly good craft materials, but put it to the back of their minds until they are prompted.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
  • Ch1979
    Ch1979 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    See my recommendations below but....Take wallpaper samples which have motifs or pictures and cut them out. seal with a couple of layers of PVa or mod podge. Wrapping paper the same but mount on cardboard. I've taken apart many unloved necklaces for beads. Old clothes are a trove for buttons, embellishments etc. Wilkos has a craft bit as does tesco and the works. Lidl and aldi do crafty promo weeks. Salt dough is great for making little card toppers, keep it simple. When I'm crafting I look at what I already have in terms of supplies and create a plan from that rather than deciding the plan and then buying the materials
    January 2016 £5350 in debt:eek:
    February 2016£4865 in debt

March 2016 £4584 in debt
    Emergency fund:£40.00£200:beer:
    Savings£179[/COLOR]:j
    Toiletries challenge: 3 UU 1 GW
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income