'Confirm where you are resident for tax purposes' letter has come through the post...

I've been with Lloyds Bank for a while now, and I've lived in the UK all my life and never left the continent.

I've received a letter through the post reportedly from Lloyds Bank which is black and white on all 7 pages of the letter, and asks me to write my DOB, my TIN number (I've never heard of that) and send it all off to:

Lloyds Banking Group
PO Box 841
LS1 9QE

The first paragraph reads: 'There has been a change in the international tax legislation which has introduced the Common Reporting Standard (CRS). It means financial institutions are required to report customers' account information based on their tax residence, to the tax authorities local to where their financial accounts are held.'

It's signed off at the bottom with:

Philip Robinson
Director of Savings.

As I've said, I have never been to the US, and I have been a UK Resident my whole life. Is this a scam letter, or a genuine letter? Thanks!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a common question on here, and although in the past it's most often been HSBC that have asked for the information it seems that Lloyds and other banks are getting in on the act now. It's up to you whether you write back or not (a TIN is a Taxpayer Identification Number, it's highly unlikely that you'll have one) but if you don't they may keep asking, and eventually they may decide that they can't keep you as a customer.
  • Thanks for the quick response.

I know I'm probably being an idiot here, but does this mean the letter is legitimate and that I SHOULD reply? And is it correct to use your National Insurance Number as a 'TIN'?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks for the quick response.

I know I'm probably being an idiot here, but does this mean the letter is legitimate and that I SHOULD reply? And is it correct to use your National Insurance Number as a 'TIN'?

I would put N/A in there, TINs are only appropriate to US citizens.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It's a common question on here, and although in the past it's most often been HSBC that have asked for the information it seems that Lloyds and other banks are getting in on the act now. It's up to you whether you write back or not (a TIN is a Taxpayer Identification Number, it's highly unlikely that you'll have one) but if you don't they may keep asking, and eventually they may decide that they can't keep you as a customer.

Or maybe the OP should ditch Lloyds first.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

Some of the providers I have used expect a national insurance number if uk tax resident.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It is legitimate, but as I say it's up to you whether you reply or not. If you do I would go along with the suggestion to use N/A for the TIN, if they want your NINO they can write again and ask for it.
  • There's a FAQ page within this request which clarifies what is required. From memory, PAYE Taxpayer Ref or NINO will suffice.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a FAQ page within this request which clarifies what is required. From memory, PAYE Taxpayer Ref or NINO will suffice.

You're probably right, but neither of those is evidence that the OP doesn't have a TIN.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is unlikely to be a fraud, but as usual is badly enough done that it makes it look like a fraud. I suggest replying to it & taking it into a branch along with an appropriate letter stating just why it looks like a fraud. When you don't get the response letter in the stated timeframe ring them and again list all the reasons it looks like a fraud.

There is a thread started on the 2 April 16 about the Halifax, despite promises they obviously haven't improved! If we complain long enough and loud enough they may just get their act together & start sending out decent paperwork. Enough £50 comp paid may make them do something but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I received the same letter from Halifax recently. I called the 0345 number on the letter and asked what the letter was about. The lady said it was from Halifax and they needed to confirm my residency (she didn't say why). I confirmed my address and that I live in the UK. The lady then said that's fine and I didn't need to return the form. She said a confirmation letter would be sent to me. I also did not give my NI number. So maybe try and call them first?

P.s The 0345 number is a genuine number as it is on their website. You will be required to give key in your account details before being transferred for security purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure