how to stop a rug moving on the carpet?

I have cream carpets upstairs which don't go well with the dog who likes to sneak upstairs with bones etc so I put down a dark coloured rug to stop any stains.

the problem is that the rug continually moves, even when it isn't walked over and it is driving me crazy. I googled a few solutions but none have been rated particularly well so am seeking some rug taming moneysaving advice from the good people of the MSE forums.

Has anyone solved this problem?
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!

Comments

• andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can buy tapes that are supposed to stop rugs slipping. Saw this in B&Q the other day.

Not sure if it will actually work though as no experience of trying it. Might be worth having a look on ebay for similar product at cheaper price?

Andy
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,997
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could try a couple of strips of double sided tape. Thats not too strong, can't see it wrecking your carpet, but its just a suggestion
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,766
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Would a bit of the hooked side of some velcro on the underside of the rug hold it?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got some stuff from my local carpet shop, it came off a role 1 metre wide. Worked really well for a couple of months and then slowly stopped working.
    My MSE solution was to tack the rug in half a dozen places to the floorboard through the carpet and underlay. Worked like a dream and cost 5p.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I think I will try the velcro first. The tacks might hurt the dog if they came loose and I'd prefer not to have to spend any money if possible. thanks for all the tips, I'm off to rake out some velcro...
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Hi,

here's the very thing for you, in Lidl from today.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The non slip underlay doesn't work - it is the pile of the carpet that moves the rug when it's walked on - you need something that will hook it into the carpet below - so tacks do sound like the best option - wouldn't double sided tape leave a sticky residue on the carpet?

OF course, you could get a stair gate and stop the dog going upstairs with old bones.:p
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • andy69_2
    andy69_2 Posts: 1,997
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dont think it would, if you put some tape onto a carpet thats not too strong and pull it off it doesn't seem to cause any damage or leave a sticky resedue lol
  • Rugs are for tripping over, don't use one.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    ailuro2 wrote: »
    OF course, you could get a stair gate and stop the dog going upstairs with old bones.:p

the ridiculous thing is that my house is like a prison there are so many stair gates but if they are just pulled closed and not locked she can open them. the little madam always gravitates upstairs with bones and to be sick. she doesn't appear to be able to vomit on hard wipe clean floors but must run upstairs to a lush carpeted area :mad:

thanks for all the suggestions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure