Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / £16600!!!

Comments

• Hello

I have been reading through this particular forum for the last couple of days and have found it very inspiring, so much so, that it has made me take a good look at my finances and realise just how bad they are for me....
    Last month I made a list of all my spends apart from direct debits and realised I am overspending by far too much. Prior to that in september, I bought a new car which I really shouldn't of done as was already overdrawn, but it does work out more economical now that I have to travel further to work every day. Excuses, Excuses!!!
    Anyway Monday was D day and I have set myself on the 100 day challenge - 1) to not buy anymore books/kindle books (I have far too many unread books already). 2) to not buy any toiletries, perfume etc until all current items used and 3) to not buy from vending machines.
    Anyway apart from my mortgage and 4year car loan, I want to concentrate on paying off 3 credit cards and my overdraft (Total £3980.09) by the end of 2013 :eek:.
    Need your help PLEASE xxx
    Halifax CC All paid Mort £7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
  • Ahhhh we are discussing zombies eh? Makes me chuckle... cinic of Deren Brown too Lily! Shame but I think that was an epic fake.... otherwise he should have picked up a drain pipe and attacked them...
    QUOTE]

I agree!!! I thought that whilst watching it, i've seen too many zombie films to know you need to bash them in the head!!! He must have known basis zombie survival tactics!!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
  • The 100 day challenge sounds interesting rosiecheeksblossom. My downfall is magazines, fortunately not expensive glossy ones, but those cheapo Take a Break type ones, maybe a couple a week, ok so I know they are only about 70p each but it all adds up, also I cannot resist toiletries even though I have a wardrobe full, so I think I will set myself a challenge of no toiletires or magazines from today onwards!

Off to edit my sig!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
  • Well Good Morning Kittens!!!

And a very big welcome to Rosie! Thank you for joining the fun and well done on outing yourself so publicly! Your clearly on the right track! You'll get there don't worry.. We're in this together!!!

So I have bikes whizzing past my ears, pedestrians swerving to avoid me and runners looking at me with such disdain I wonder if they're aiming for me... Oh hang on I think it's cause !text-walking and only using my Kat senses to guide me... Apparently this can be annoying!

I'm on Londons Southbank walking to a hospital appointment for free dental work! Yeah!!! Big gleaming ice white smile here I come!! Walking cause it's free and with my head down I don't see cafe temptations! Oh but I brought my flask of tea with me! Who's a good girl!!!!

Right updates later although I get the feeling this might not be as straightforward as I think!!

Onwards and Upwards!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I've been reading this thread for a few days and it's really inspired me to cut my spending! I live at home and pay rent/contribute to the bills, and I've tried my best to stop spending unnecessarily in order to raise enough for a deposit so I can move out. It's really made me take a look at how much I spend on random trips to Tesco or Sainsbury's or book spending on Amazon, and I've managed to spend just £4 this week but just from change I had in my change jar (and if I want to read a book I could get from Amazon I go to the library, and I have to read my unfinished books first!). I've been justifying everything so far and it's going to help me a lot when I do eventually move. Thank you NinjaSavingKat for being so inspiring! :) I'll definitely be watching this thread.
  • Morning, hope everyone is good today.

Hope the interview went well Killer.

Thanks Lincs for the support and kind words.

I think we use the same websites Annie as i got the free Special K too. Tastes so much nicer when its free.

I know what you mean about the teething baby Lily, I have one too. Had a terrible night last night with her.

Thanks Happy for the cheerleading

Not had a great couple of days. Had 2 days when I didn't hit my money targets. Just did get some stuff sold on ebay which will make up for it when they pay so its not too bad i suppose. Can I count a NSD if i have had to send my son to school with some change for a poppy? I found some bags of change in a drawer upstairs so have used that. Don't feel bad about sending him with change as I spent over £40 last month on the RBL website so that more than makes up for it. Probably why I am in this mess!

Also, its shopping day. Think I have managed to get a £40 shop down to £18 hard cash, using my Tesco clubcard vouchers and other vouchers. Am finding I am not so tempted by offers now as I am focused on my vouchers. Although it is hard to not just pick stuff up and put it in my basket. Nearly tempted by Boots this morning. Toiletries are my downfall, and stuff for the kids. And i hate running out of anything.

Also I was due to go back to work next week from Maternity leave, but Dr has signed me off for a month so i don't have to worry about paying a childminder, so thats £216 I don't have to find at the end of the month. I suppose every cloud has a silver lining.

I feel better for having written it down now, your positivity is contagious.

One question on the zombie thing, can they climb stairs? Don't watch zombie films as I can't sleep afterwards. I was planning on hiding with the kids in the attic.
  • squinky
    squinky Posts: 70 Forumite
    Squinky / [STRIKE]Squinky [/STRIKE]- get a second job? Stack shelves / stuff envelopes .. do something more? We are only fierce because we care...:blushing:

Naaawww thank you! I am giving it some thought! Hope you all have a very MSE weekend!
  • SQUINKY IS A GIRL!!!..hello again.. have a wee think then jump on board..

Evening boys and girls! I am so glad that we have a newbie to join us..WELCOME Mandatory. Cool name! Glad you are re-thinking what you are spending. It all adds up. The month I got my kindle I thought I would get a few books @ £6.. £200 later ( plus kindle ) I was super annoyed with myself but still went on for a few months and wasted more money.. but NO MORE!!! I am glad you are watching though cause it makes me work harder...

BunnyBlu zombies can climb stairs sorry! But if you barracade yourself in make sure you have ample supplies until they get bored and leave... Poppy's don't count for a spend day - its an NSD for you! Are you okay though..? I hope your not off work with anything serious but you could sit at home and eBay lots of things to find the £216 for next months childcare..?

I can see why you wouldn't want to run out of things with the kids.. but toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, soap etc does not have to be too expensive... boots are cheeky though as things that are £1 look great until you realise they are 89p at Tescos or something.. and Wilko's do body buffs for 49p which are £3 at Boots! Grrrr we are being duped I tell you duped....

Well I had a great day walking around London. I went to Guys hospital as planned and had a very thorough two hour check over. They decided I need a crown and this will be FREE!!!!

From there I walked up town to check out some outdoorsy stores for a new backpack. I used my O2 priority moments as I was famished and got a FREE peanutbutter bagel from The Bagel Factory and a FREE regular tea from Cafe Nero!!! I walked a while and while waiting for a friend who treated me to a Starbucks I got a FREE bag of haribo sweets with the same O2 priority moments app from Accessorize..weird huh! But I felt full throughout the day without spending a penny!!!

Anyho.. back into town tomorrow for a training day. No rest for the wicked. Marking up an NSD today and hopefully tomorrow and Sunday as well!!!

Onwards and Upwards chickadees. I am off to bed!!! ( yes already...)..:T
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • bunnyblu wrote: »

I know what you mean about the teething baby Lily, I have one too. Had a terrible night last night with her.

Also I was due to go back to work next week from Maternity leave, but Dr has signed me off for a month so i don't have to worry about paying a childminder, so thats £216 I don't have to find at the end of the month. I suppose every cloud has a silver lining.

Bless you bunnyblu. Madam only woke up once in the night last night; could have jumped for joy! :j But woke up this morning with cheeks on FIRE! She's been a little angel though. Apart from falling over from sitting on a double thickness duvet & really banging her head. Poor little munchkin!

Really hope you're not signed off for anything serious. I go back in January but have been popping in & out so I don't feel so horrendous at going back & luckily got my other halfs shift work around my own so no childminder. Unbelievable the amount they charge! Hardly worth going back to work!

Killer!! How did the interview go?! Hope it went extra awesome!

Kat: Enjoy your freebie dentistry, really hope it is as good as you are hoping for & you come out with Ross (Friends) style blinding white teeth!!!

Annie: That really made me giggle:rotfl:

Today I made £15.15 signing up to lovefilm's free trial. KATTTTTT! Was it you or Siouxsie that signed up to this? Did you know in order to get the cashback paid you have to A: watch 120 minutes of instant streaming or B: rent one posted DVD out, AND put 10 dvd's on your rental list! Also switched my gas & electric, earning £34 cashback which has already tracked & supposedly saving myself £174 a year in bills! :T

Kat, you are a supreme inspiration!! Thank you :)
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Double post guilt, but we crossed over...

Woop Woop Kat,

All in all an excellent day for you!! :D

Sleep tight!!!!
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure