The Oi, Cameron, time to sort out...” poll

Comments

• Not on the list, but needs sorting is the removal of charity status from fee paying public schools.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • I must be one of the few people in the country who isn't terribly concerned about petrol prices.

Here's my reasoning:

* I drive a less-than-average number of miles each year, in a car which is of above average efficiency.

* I therefore pay less than "my fair share" of this tax.

* Contrary to what the complainers seem to believe, the things that the government spends this money on will not magically become free if the tax is reduced.

* Therefore, the government will have to raise the money elsewhere.

* Since I currently pay less than "my fair share", it seems likely that under any other scheme, I would end up paying more tax.

* I don't want to pay more tax.

I'm sure that there's some impact on my outgoings in terms of transport cost for food and other goods, but when I look at the amount of stuff that you can stick in the back of a lorry, and consider how much I eat, I imagine that the impact is tiny.
  • I don't drive and have a lot of savings

Fuel prices first

Savings rates 2nd.

High fuel prices mean more expensive products for customers, fuelling inflation. High inflation and high interest rates are no more helpful for me than low inflation and low interest.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Cameron should now deal with the banks in the same way he has dealt with the power providors. Banks should be forced to move peoples dead saving accounts into similar ones that provide better interest at their highest rates. There are millions of less savvy savers who do not move their savings and lose considerable amounts of interest.
  • A_Ross
    A_Ross Posts: 13 Forumite
    Funeral costs are missing
  • A_Ross
    A_Ross Posts: 13 Forumite
    Council tax is another

And why isn't the BBC privatised?
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Seeing as he seems to love following EU law so much, why are we still being charged VAT on fuel duty, which is illegal?
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • snid
    snid Posts: 71 Forumite
    Its tax isn't it. Get it sorted man, there'd be no need for cuts if everyone paid what they should.

Also Train fares are a real joke, but that's a minor issue really.
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The fact that financial education scores so low says it all, most of the people voting are paying too much tax without realising it. I agree with the few people above who want tax sorted out. Income tax is only designed to catch those on poor wages, the lazy and the hard working. I was one of them, too poor, working too many hours to compensate, to look into it. As a result of reading some advice on the ISA's v pensions thread on this site (by 'DunstoneH' I think) followed up by reading the HMRC website I transformed my tax.
    Last year I reduced my tax bill from 12 to 4 grand and claimed more than the difference in benefits (when I had been entitled to none) and it's all legal. Immoral but legal. The government needs to sort it out.
    Dunstone if you're reading this, I can't thank you enough.
    The rest of you need to change your mindset. The government isn't entitled to your money, they'll only waste it. It's much better in your hands, so fight to keep it!!!
  • ikhnos0512 wrote: »
    I must be one of the few people in the country who isn't terribly concerned about petrol prices.

Here's my reasoning:

* I drive a less-than-average number of miles each year, in a car which is of above average efficiency.

* I therefore pay less than "my fair share" of this tax.

* Contrary to what the complainers seem to believe, the things that the government spends this money on will not magically become free if the tax is reduced.

* Therefore, the government will have to raise the money elsewhere.

* Since I currently pay less than "my fair share", it seems likely that under any other scheme, I would end up paying more tax.

* I don't want to pay more tax.

I'm sure that there's some impact on my outgoings in terms of transport cost for food and other goods, but when I look at the amount of stuff that you can stick in the back of a lorry, and consider how much I eat, I imagine that the impact is tiny.

Well Ikhnos, I'm glad you're doing so well taking more out of the system than you're putting in while the rest of us are subsidising you.

I live in a rural area where petrol prices are high, filling stations are few and far between and public transport is unreliable, infrequent and expensive. It's a 20 mile round trip to the supermarket to stock up on food, or there's the village shop at extortionate prices.

It's good to know that the high taxes I'm paying on my fuel are helping people like you to screw the system. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure