PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Exchange to completion? What happens

All appears to be happening quickly and our buyer and our seller are looking to exchange on December 18th.

We received a letter today and one of the questions is preferred completion date....

Now it says this generally occurs 2 weeks post exchange!?

What exactly happens between exchange and completion apart from exchanges of funds?

Do most solicitors take Xmas/new year weeks off? Will this add another two weeks?
Living in our forever house!
Two little princesses
:grouphug: <
I find this disturbing!

Comments

• Book removals, pay funds to solicitor, redirect post, sort out phone etc. You could request completion, but i'd say you latest date for this year is probably 21st december and earliest next year 3rd january (from experience we're completing on 20th)
  • Book removals, pay funds to solicitor, redirect post, sort out phone etc. You could request completion, but i'd say you latest date for this year is probably 21st december and earliest next year 3rd january (from experience we're completing on 20th)

Thankyou :)

I'm all new to this, DH has left all paperwork and decisions etc to me.. Trying to get my head around everything with a 4 week old and a toddler is difficult!.. I'm thinking of aiming for mid January but obviously we all have to agree on a date so I'm not expecting to get what I want.. Hubby will also have his big overtime pay packet by then too..
    Two little princesses
    I find this disturbing!
  • If possible try and talk to your buyer and seller and see what they want too, best to discuss informally before going to the solicitors. We've had a bit of a nightmare and 20th isn't great for us (my baby's birthday), but we've started packing and I just couldn't bear waiting til january. It's so scary the thought of moving with small children, but it's because of them we need the space. Good luck and I hope it works out how you want!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Also useful is one of the many books available on house-buying. Free from the locallibrary, or do a search on Amazon.

You'll get to understand what the solicitors are doing, what you need to do, what lists to get together, etc
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The big decision you need to make is before or after Christmas. There might be somebody in your chain who wants to be in for Christmas! If you think moving this side of Christmas is too much you'd better say now incase completion dates of 21 December come back. I'm due to complete on Friday 14 December so I've spent the past day confirming removals, aerial installation, BT services (but have to wait until 25 January to get installation), Gas/Electric account closed and opened, transferring the last of the funds ready for completion (if they would only get my completion statement right), finish off packing, eating all the food that could spoil from fridge, freezer and cupboards! I'm sure there is more!
  • caeler wrote: »
    The big decision you need to make is before or after Christmas. There might be somebody in your chain who wants to be in for Christmas! If you think moving this side of Christmas is too much you'd better say now incase completion dates of 21 December come back. I'm due to complete on Friday 14 December so I've spent the past day confirming removals, aerial installation, BT services (but have to wait until 25 January to get installation), Gas/Electric account closed and opened, transferring the last of the funds ready for completion (if they would only get my completion statement right), finish off packing, eating all the food that could spoil from fridge, freezer and cupboards! I'm sure there is more!

25th january - that's appalling, we're completing on 20th and i was pretty peeved to have to wait til 31st!
  • caeler
    Forumite
    25th january - that's appalling, we're completing on 20th and i was pretty peeved to have to wait til 31st!

Isn't it just. It is for a new line and apparently BT Openreach have a backlog. I have been mugged by BT that is for sure.
  • caeler wrote: »
    Isn't it just. It is for a new line and apparently BT Openreach have a backlog. I have been mugged by BT that is for sure.

Ours already has a line (current owner works for bt), why they can't just press the button on 20th I don't know but they're full of excuses!! I tell you what after 12 months I'll definitely be looking to switch!
  • caeler
    Forumite
    If I didn't want to keep my number I'd have switched. I'm going to head to primus once the new contract I've been forced to agree to ends.
  • Got the sellers contract thru post and she's put:
    Exchange contracts before 18th December & move in BEFORE Christmas (if possible)

:O

Hmmm is this even doable? I suppose that if our buyer is willing and all searches have been done then yes.. Hmmmm

Think me and DH are going to wait until our eldest goes to bed and go over all paper work and make sure all signed and nothing missing.. Then decide!
    Would be amazing if not a little chaotic to say the least to be in before Xmas..
    I seriously need to sort a checklist out for people to call etc..
    Two little princesses
    I find this disturbing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business