Charge for copies of my bank statements

Options

Comments

• Rain_is_Insane
    Options
    Requests for duplicate statements they can, and do charge for, requests for "a statement of charges" is a completely different thing and available for no more than a £10 fee under the Data Protection Act.

Hope this helps
  • Natalieee_2
    Options
    If I Was You I Would Print Off The Letter, Take It To The Branch Tomorrow And Read It Word For Word To The Cashier ..

I Hate HSBC .. Why Do They Only Employ D**kheads .. Excuse My Language .. x
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    saint1d wrote:
    Ok I know you said I was to write to request the info, but to be honest I would love to go back to the bank, but this time know my rights. I guess the data protection act means they have to give me the required info, but surely it's not right they can levy such high charges for doing so?

The Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act must be in writing. What you asked for was a copy of statements, they can charge for each page in this case.

You need to folllow the step by step guide and request your list of charges as specified.
  • saint1d
    saint1d Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all.

Ok so tomorrow I will post off the letter and take it from there, trust me for trying to cut corners!!
    Will let you know how I get on, and of course every step I will be back for more advice.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE
  • suki43
    suki43 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I called the Halifax last weekend and asked for copies of my statements for the last 6 years on all 3 accounts, and they have debited £5 from my account and will post them to me in 7 days.

They cannot charge you more than £10 under the Data Protection Act.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 350 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Total Debt: £7465 - Capital One,
    £5800 M&S - July 07

Lightbulb Moment - Oct. 06
    DFD - Jan. 08

It's a long road but I'm getting there! :T
  • elliebellie
    Options
    Hi! I called HSBC today to ask when my accounts had been closed as I wanted to make sure I had all my statements. (still had account numbers and even remembered my security code) for my own records.
    When they gave me the dates the accounts were closed, I just asked if it would be possible to get a copy of the statements I was missing Nov 4 - March 05. Lady was very nice and send no problem, they will be with you in 10 working days or i could collect from the branch in 3 working days - result:T
    Could be worth a call - you don't need to mention what you want the statements for.
    My mum always said " if don't ask, you don't get"!!
  • taffyappled
    Options
    barclays owe me at the very least, three times the amount i owe them on my card. So i just phoned barclaycard and asked for all my statements dating back for the last six years in order to work out what they owed me in illegal bank charges.
    I was told that i will have to pay £216 to have them sent! surely this is not right?
    Does anyone know where i should go from here? as i cant start persuing this without knowing how much i am persuing them for persuing can i ? has anyone else got over this hurdle with out paying this sort of money ?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes this would be the price if what you asked for were copy statements all bank can and do charge for copy statements.

Use the template letter in Martin's article and ask for the information under the Data Protection Act.

Link to the article is in my signature.
  • Isatou
    Isatou Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I have banked with Alliance Leicester for a while now - mainly thanks to Martin's praise of them - BUT now they are telling me that it is only possible to view 256 days of my a/c on line and if I want any more statements it will cost me £5 per month! I think this outrageous - has anyone else come against this? I must congratulate Barclays however, as they sent my 6 years worth of statements very quickly and returned my £10 cheque!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure