PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has this bad weather taught you?

Comments

• NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Thanks for suggestions everyone! Need my midriff nice and toasty!:)
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This bad weather has taught me (and we haven't yet had it anything so bad as many)... that

1) I know best regardless of what my children say when it comes to planning for bad weather. It is not 'stupid' and 'pointless' and a 'waste of time and money' to be prepared in advance. Despite what DS2 said to me today when we were out buying him a new pair of wellies because it turns out he has outgrown his old ones, in a week or two's time I think I might know best again!

2) The freezing point of teenage boys is much lower than that of other humans.

3) It's important to stock your emergency cupboard with really boring biscuits like digestives because they stand a chance of not being eaten before they are really needed, unlike the yummy ones. Alternatively, have the emergency food supply that everyone knows about but make a well hidden stash with all the nice bicuits and juice etc in it.

B x
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Well here it comes again - so they are saying! Thursday and Friday are to be awful here. Since the last deluge of snow I have restocked my cupboards and freezers, and will arrange to get milk and bread and other fresh odds and ends on Wednesday,
    oh and another thing its taught us up here too - I think- is not to rely on internet shopping.......GGGGRRRRRR!!!!! as the delivery is dubious at times!
    Every days a School day!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bambywamby wrote: »
    and to carry a spade in the boot...if not to dig the car out of snow but to bury the @rsehole of an ex. :)

I know I shouldn't laugh but I've had an awful day and you really cheered me up with this comment
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • My Asda shop is booked for the 22nd. I can't bring it to before the snow as we get paid on the 17th and until then we have no money to go and shop. :(

But we are pretty well stocked for essentials and stuff to make bread, UHT and frozen milk, etc. I just hope we don't get it too bad before the 22nd - but then my hubby only missed 1 day of work with the last lot but that was because he was poorly. He managed to get to work every day!
    Donna
    Economy; careful management; providence. Whether you call it thrifty or frugality it all comes down to getting more for your money.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So many posts! Can I answer them together please? Thanks everyone for the info on the water storage.:T
    As stated, full length jeans at M&S. I find their prima range comfy...they have a bit of stretch in them;)
    JustaMum, I love your signature, or was that on another thread?
    I think you're right, we seem to have 'drifted' on subjects haven't we?:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    zarazara wrote: »
    a neighbour cleared the footpth them threw water on it and swept. meanwhile ,my son,walking home from work at midnight slipped on said cleared area and badly cut his head open.

oh my, hope your son is okay now. I'm sure your neighboiur was only trying to help, but alas temperatures have been so low that water is going to freeze, no matter how well meant the thought was to clear the footpath for themselves and others.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 December 2010 at 12:22PM
    iF anyone wants or needs knickers with long legs then

www.thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk

from size 8 to 54

be warned, they aren`t the sort that you hang on a line in a public place but they are utterly practical and will also prevent chafing
  • HOW MUCH though??? :eek:
  • I have also learned that my employers have pressed a guilt button somewhere. I do my level best to get in regardless of the stress and the bloudy hard work it is just to get in to be met with 'oh your in then' - not thank you or well done or we appreciate your efforts. Most of the managers are young - live with parents or husbands who fetch and carry and not one of them seem to realise the sheer effort it is to get 'in'. I deserve a medal for determination but dont get one!!! With the weather coming in again I have got this awful feeling not only will I be penalised (£) or ticked off if I dont make that monumental effort. Does anyone else have that sinking feeling about the impending bad weather?

mrs s
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport