MSE News: Beware fake HMRC tax refund emails

"We've been informed of a spate of fake emails, known as phishing emails, claiming to be from HMRC, promising £245 ..."
Read the full story:

Comments

• antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you get an email from HMRC its fake, as staff arent permitted to communicate to external people for data security reasons, because email isnt a secure method of communication.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    You should ALWAYS have a separate email if you do banking and all things money online......:D
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • "£244.79"

How much is that in nairas?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I had one from "HRMC" a few months ago, said i was due a tax refund, but figured a)i didnt think they'd contact me by email and b)they don't usually do refunds till april? Deleted it anyway
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hmm. I actually don't believe the "HMRC never send emails" claim, as I have a few and I'm sure they're from HMRC.

I am registered for Self Assessment, and one of the details they collect is my email address; if they never send emails, why would they do this?!

Some of the emails I've received were sent just after I notified them of a change of address; and the emails were along the lines of "Thank you for notifying us of your change of address", so I'm pretty certain they're genuine.

The other emails were encouraging me to pay my tax return by Direct Debit, and I've looked carefully and all the links are genuine (and come with warnings not to actually follow the links without logging in separately first). None of the emails had personal details except some had a tortuous reference number that could probably used to track back in case of a query.

So it may be that HMRC don't tell people about tax refunds by email, but that's different from a blanket statement that they never send emails, which I'm sure is incorrect.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just found some confirmation that HMRC do send emails, on the HMRC website:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/contacts.htm
    Self Assessment Online email alert

Each year HMRC sends emails reminding customers to file their Self Assessment returns. These emails never ask you to provide personal or financial information. The latest batch of emails will be sent from 10 December 2012 and include information relating to the Self Assessment Service.

This quote on the MSE story is misleading in isolation as I'm pretty sure it's only correct in the context of emails about tax refunds. It's not correct when applied to any email from HMRC.
    "Anyone who receives an email claiming to be from HMRC should send it to phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk before deleting it permanently."
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Oops. I received one and deleted it before seeing that.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • oldhand
    oldhand Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    £245? has to be a scam,now the genuine one I received from my new friend in nigeria whose name im not allowed to divulge but I can tell you involves the transfer to my bank account of £2.5 million THATS genuine.:D:D:D
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    oldhand wrote: »
    £245? has to be a scam,now the genuine one I received from my new friend in nigeria whose name im not allowed to divulge but I can tell you involves the transfer to my bank account of £2.5 million THATS genuine.:D:D:D

Sorry to tell you this, but you are obviously being scammed. No one needs help transferring an amount that small. Anyway, must go, have to do a Western Union payment for the processing fee for my $90,000,000 unsecured loan from TOTALLY HONEST LENDERS INC LTD PLC. Not quite sure why they want me to send it to a man in India though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure