Can u claim benefits when been sacked?

my husband has just been sacked from his job after 10 years..a new company took over in the last year and are finding reasons to get rid of lots of people.

we have a mortgage and claim child tax credits and i dont work as we have 3 young children.

Can we claim any benefits now he has been sacked ...does anyone know what please?

is it best to not mention to tax credits and just ring to change the details when one of us gets a job or will it work out better to tell them none of us are working?

please please help..were really stuck as to what to do

thanks x

Comments

• On what grounds was he sacked?
  • poor performance ..he has a good case to take to tribunal..we just dont know what to do in meantime
  • cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    I would inform tax credits to change of income and you may be entitled to JSA IB depending on the reason for your husbands dismissal.

Kirsty
  • Yes he should be able to claim IBJSA, which would be a joint claim and you would get CTB, CTC and mortgage assistance after 13 weeks.

Do you have savings £6000 or over?

You need to inform tax credits that your dh has lost his job. IBJSA is not counted as income for tax credit purposes.

I would also inform your mortgage provider and inform them of your problem and you maybe able to take a payment holiday contract permitting or change to an interest only mortgage.

Have you contacted ACAS?
  • I have no idea what benefits you can now claim but I would say please tell the tax credit dept. Being sacked must be awful for your hubby but peace of mind knowing you are above board in what you are claiming for will be less added stress. I would hope that although not entitled to wtc that you would be entitled to other help.
  • Yes he should be able to claim IBJSA, which would be a joint claim and you would get CTB, CTC and mortgage assistance after 13 weeks.

You need to inform tax credits that your dh has lost his job. IBJSA is not counted as income for tax credit purposes.

I would also inform your mortgage provider and inform them of your problem and you maybe able to take a payment holiday contract permitting or change to an interest only mortgage.

Have you contacted ACAS?

what is ibjsa..can we claim that straight away and would that be more or less than the tax credits do u know?
    they have given him 11 weeks pay and we dont have any savings..do we need to tell the benefits place that he has 11 weeks pay..do they take that into account?

thanks for helping xxx

Have you contacted ACAS?

what is ACAS? X
  • I have no idea what benefits you can now claim but I would say please tell the tax credit dept. Being sacked must be awful for your hubby but peace of mind knowing you are above board in what you are claiming for will be less added stress. I would hope that although not entitled to wtc that you would be entitled to other help.

thankyou.your words have made sense..were finding this really difficult as we have never been in the situation where none of us was working..but your right..we dont need the extra stress x
  • http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Experts on employment law, I often refer my clients to them. Give them a ring and they will guide you through the tribunal, remember there is a 3 month time limit though!
  • what is ibjsa..can we claim that straight away and would that be more or less than the tax credits do u know?
    they have given him 11 weeks pay and we dont have any savings..do we need to tell the benefits place that he has 11 weeks pay..do they take that into account?

thanks for helping xxx
    IBJSA is income based job seekers allowance, your dh can claim this straight away, I think the payment is about £94 per week (someone will confirm this figure). You will get full child tax credits.

The JC will ask what capital you have so you would have to declare it, as long as it was not over £6000 it does not affect your benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure