NatWest's 'Rapport' software - should I install it?

Comments

• I've downloaded it and have it running, although it's only set to protect two or three sites. It uses little more system resources on mine as the desktop gadgets, and I've noticed no performance issues. It also doesn't appear to conflict with any of my other security; AVG, Comodo and a-squared.
  • Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite

As has been demonstrated disastrously, British banks are about the least qualified organisations in the entire world to advise anybody at all on diligence, competence and risk-management.

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• Roy1234
    Roy1234 Posts: 169
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know phone calls aren't exactly secure, but I phone if I need to check my balance. I guess it would be a lot harder to intercept someone's phone communications without the telco's assistance. It's also impossible to install malware on my landline phone.

Unfortunately, 'malware' can and already has been installed on phone calls by way of the criminal gangs who have infiltrated UK bank call centres, according to press reports. Much as they once placed their spies in petrol stations, to get your card details, they have done similar things with banks.

I regard speaking security details to a person as the very highest risk where banking is concerned (numerous newspaper reports of frauds initiated by counter staff dealing with customers, incidentally), with push-button type phone banking being far better, and online banking (even on a Windows PC) by far the safest in my opinion.

I doubt that anyone who installs security software and ignores phishing emails would ever get caught. Banks who require the use of a pre-issued card reader+card+PIN to create third-party payees nail this down to a zero risk, I would say.
  • I've tangled with this piece of junk and strongly advise everyone to avoid it like the plague...there is no proof that it does what it's claimed to do, BUT more importantly, there's a lot of evidence that does a whole bunch quite unnecessary, not to say, very suspicious things, viz., hiding your Temp Internet Files folder, setting it to Read Only, and filling it with thousands of files with very long names, also set to Read Only! you will also find that this product is very difficult, if not impossible, to uninstall. PC Tools are aware of these, and other problems, and are looking into the matter because Rapport manifestly interferes with the effective operation of their software. More anon and if reqd.
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Alliance and Leicester are now offering this as well. I haven't downloaded it as to me it doesn't seem to offer enough benefit compared to the potential issues with it.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• I installed Rapport about 6 months ago via NatWest with which I have a savings account with £1 in it. Then I had a problem with the PC which a new user account fixed. I then decided I didn't like Rapport (think it was the over large arrow in the address bar). So I unstalled it.

Months later I reinstalled it and again took it off. Recently I noticed Coventry BS were recommending it. I installed it but it didn't appear to work, and starting it from the start menu merely indicating "Could not start:Contact Rapport Support". There was/is a RapportMgmtService.exe showing in the Processes in Task Manager. I have been in touch with Trusteer about this problem who requested logs which I sent. They now want to set up a web conference, connecting to my computer's desktop to try to sort the problem. Not sure about that. I'd rather safely uninstall (I think).

• ......Months later I reinstalled it and again took it off. Recently I noticed Coventry BS were recommending it. I installed it but it didn't appear to work, and starting it from the start menu merely indicating "Could not start:Contact Rapport Support". There was/is a RapportMgmtService.exe showing in the Processes in Task Manager. I have been in touch with Trusteer about this problem who requested logs which I sent. They now want to set up a web conference, connecting to my computer's desktop to try to sort the problem. Not sure about that. I'd rather safely uninstall (I think).
    I didn't do the web conference. I asked them how to safely and completely uninstall it instead. They directed me to their uninstaller instructions. Bit of a fag as it meant booting the computer to save mode to be sure.
  • I'm French but I have a Natwest account in UK. I have installed Rapport on my PC. Slowed down IE8 a lot but worked OK with my Natwest account. However it messed up signing on with all my French bank accounts and crashed often (not multi language it seems !) Dumped it after two days ! Some French banks like "Banque postale" have a "no typing log-in system". They show a different number grid every time and you just run your mouse over the numbers. You can even speak the numbers out loud if you wish. Fishing is not a big issue for me as my banks NEVER communicate with me through the Internet but only by mail and registered mail when important. I have declared all my bank names, and domains addresses as spam in my provider's spam list and do not worry about it !
  • Hi All, I've read this thread with interest because I installed Rapport a couple of weeks ago at HSBC's recommendation. I'm not a techie so I just followed their advice without question. I started getting a message on my PC that disk space was low but didn't realise it was due to the installation of rapport and my PC did seem to slow down a bit.

My question is this, I currently only have AVG's free security program installed on my PC. Is this sufficient or should I look at additional security? I do use internet banking so want to ensure that I'm taking all the necessary steps to keep my details safe. What would you recommend? Please remember that I'm not a techie so please use plain easy to understand language :-) Thanks!
  • Crystal44 wrote: »
    Hi All, I've read this thread with interest because I installed Rapport a couple of weeks ago at HSBC's recommendation. I'm not a techie so I just followed their advice without question. I started getting a message on my PC that disk space was low but didn't realise it was due to the installation of rapport and my PC did seem to slow down a bit.

My question is this, I currently only have AVG's free security program installed on my PC. Is this sufficient or should I look at additional security? I do use internet banking so want to ensure that I'm taking all the necessary steps to keep my details safe. What would you recommend? Please remember that I'm not a techie so please use plain easy to understand language :-) Thanks!
    It may help you to start your own thread (select the new thread icon at the bottom of the forum) and re-post the question. However if your PC is slowing down use something like Malwarebytes.

Download MALWAREBYTES (Make sure you click 'DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION')
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ma..._anti_malware/

Open malwarebytes and goto UPDATE and click 'check for updates'
    After its updated goto SCANNER and click PERFORM FULL SCAN then click SCAN

Post the COMPLETE log here AFTER you've deleted everything it finds then
    reboot
    Then a really helpful expert will give you good advice about what to do next . Others will suggest that AVG is not the best choice for A/V (me included) but we can cross that bridge later :D
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure