Rock Door quote - Front Door £1700

Hi,

I'm planning on changing my front door (and possibly back door too) with a composite one.

I've been looking at DoorStop, Yale and Durashield (local supplier) with quotes between £1100 and £1350 which I thought were a little high. Durashield would not tell me what door manufacturer they use but was told it was the highest quality hence the price.

After reading some older threads on this forum I looked at Rock Doors and asked for a quote online and they sent out a local supplier who gave me a quote for £1700 for an Elite Jacobean (two slim window panels) in Onyx Black with all the chrome furniture - just the door and frame (no side windows). The back door quote was for an similar Elite door with square panel (forget the name) for £1600.

He said he would upgrade both doors to an Ultimate for no extra cost!

From what I've read online this seems a very steep price for even an Ultimate.

Does anyone know what a reasonable quote should be for these doors and know of any good supplies/fitters in Central Scotland/Glasgow?

Many thanks :-)

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I live in an area of UK that is not deprived, or whatever term is considered PC. Consequently prices are not rock bottom for items. That said, the regular advertising booklets put through my door are offering composite doors at £799, another advert is £800 (but now sneaking in the small print is the addition of VAT which is another £160 - this company was not doing this six months ago, so I guess the market is picking up with the better weather).

These prices should give a starting point to specifications, prices and negotiation on a deal.
  • Nessynoo
    Nessynoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I ahd a Rockdoor fitted last year and it cost around £1400. Mine doesn't have any glass.
    In my opinion, Rock doors are in a league of their own and worth every penny. They have very high security and thermal properties. I hardly have my heating on now the new door is fitted. Remember that expert fitting is included in the price plus a 10 year guarantee.
    "It's official, MSE's harbouring total fruitcakes"
    >^..^<
  • Furts wrote: »
    I live in an area of UK that is not deprived, or whatever term is considered PC. Consequently prices are not rock bottom for items. That said, the regular advertising booklets put through my door are offering composite doors at £799, another advert is £800 (but now sneaking in the small print is the addition of VAT which is another £160 - this company was not doing this six months ago, so I guess the market is picking up with the better weather).

These prices should give a starting point to specifications, prices and negotiation on a deal.

I can empathise with you - I live in an area where the trades/companies are know to put another couple of hundred pounds (sometimes more) on just because of the area. And I think that has happened here.

I noticed in other Rock Doors threads that other people are getting vastly better prices.

I was expecting a quote of about £1400-£1500, preferably better.

NessyNoo, I agree the Rock doors do have impressive insulation qualities (I live on a windy hill) and look good, but at that price too expensive.

I was hoping I could get an idea of a competitive and fair price so that I could negotiate - otherwise I'll have to look elsewhere.

All further comments welcome. :smiley:
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nessynoo wrote: »
    I ahd a Rockdoor fitted last year and it cost around £1400. Mine doesn't have any glass.
    In my opinion, Rock doors are in a league of their own and worth every penny. They have very high security and thermal properties. I hardly have my heating on now the new door is fitted. Remember that expert fitting is included in the price plus a 10 year guarantee.
    don't disagree with the quality of a rockdoor they are very good . In my opinion there isn't much difference in most top quality composites . door stop do a decent door with good honest easy locks . The expert fitting isn't right . I fit rock doors when required to and never been inspected by rock nor asked to provide any info or addresses . All do a 10 yr guarantee . standard fit composite fitted ranges from about £950 to £1100 depending on finish . but I live in a deprived area haha . would be the same price in a big house than a little one so long as the hole was the same size .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • I've managed to get a better quote from another company for £1500 which is still too high IMO but better than the first quote, but they might be able to give me a better quote if I get my back door fitted at same time. Will keep you posted.

Otherwise I'll be going with a Yale/DoorStop quote.

Cheers
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    a front and back door can be done in a day so should be able to knuckle them down to an individual better price . rather than them come out twice . depending on the fit a back door will be cheaper if like for like due to letter box and quality or the look
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I've managed to get a better quote from another company for £1500 which is still too high IMO but better than the first quote, but they might be able to give me a better quote if I get my back door fitted at same time. Will keep you posted.

Otherwise I'll be going with a Yale/DoorStop quote.

Cheers

An option would be a made to measure composite door from Wickes. This would be around £700-750. Voucher codes are available, I think, there are promotions, Civil Servants get discounts etc. Hence the price can be lowered. You would have to judge the quality but it should be acceptable. Then fit it yourself, or employ a carpenter. I would imagine you could get the job done for £850, or less.

Be aware that composite doors are todays must have "Home Improvement". They are over rated, some are mediocre, some are suspect, some I would not entertain, and given time the market will move on to something else which is claimed to be better. Hence, I do not see the point in paying large sums of money to have the kudos of an expensive composite door.
  • ccjane
    ccjane Posts: 13 Forumite
    Our composite door we paid £1,000 it has a window panel on each side, we had to have it made to measure when we did our porch, I live in Suffolk area...
  • benson1980
    benson1980 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When we got quotes for our new front door (plus side window), Rock Door were £1670, Solidor was £1480, and door stop was around £1250.

We went for Solidor in the end.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'm in Essex and had a quote of about £1700 for a rock door, then recommended Doorstop by a friend at work, and had a quote from a local supplier, who said he could do Rockdoor but theyre not really worth the extra £500+, youre paying mostly for the name.

He advised a doorstop, and we chose slamlock etc which bumped the prcie up from £799 to just under a thousand with all the extras we wanted. Fitting next week, cant wait, very impressed with him
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure