Help! I don't have an Overdraft but gone Overdrawn a lot!! (Gambling)

Comments

• I have read the advice and appreciate it, but I don't know what use it would do if I go into my bank, I have no income so I don't know how I would be able to arrange repayments? I'm unemployed but been constantly applying for jobs since I left college but everything has been unsuccessful?
  • MissAT
    MissAT Posts: 56 Forumite
    Firstly, you don't have a job and you are spending £600 gambling - this seems incredibly irresponsible even if you did have a job.

Secondly, go into the bank the worst thing you can do is ignore an unauthorised overdraft. Also, speak to family members and see if you can borrow the money and pay them back in instalments.
  • Sensory
    Sensory Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have read the advice and appreciate it, but I don't know what use it would do if I go into my bank, I have no income so I don't know how I would be able to arrange repayments?

You won't know unless you try. They could agree to freeze the charges.
  • AlwaysLearnin
    AlwaysLearnin Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think my only option is to ignore my bank account and let it get into more debt. My account is registered at an old address anyway so debt collectors/bailiffs would go to the wrong house anyway?

What possibly makes you think people on a budgeting board (or anywhere...) would endorse that?!

You've spent money you haven't got and you don't seem to be able to pay it back at the moment. The only way forward that I can see is that it's time to grow up and face the music. Yes you've got yourself in a bit of a pickle, but burying your head in the sand is only going to make things worse. There's also the longer term impact on your credit rating to consider too.

Speak to your bank. The money has gone and so it's got to be in their best interests to work with you to get it back as best as possible.
  • fevlo
    fevlo Posts: 203 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 May 2013 at 1:20PM
    Sounds to me like you were funding the betting account using paypal and they were taking the funds as a direct debit hence why it doesnt come out your bank for a few days.
    If the direct debit hasnt already been taken then it is likely that Natwest will bounce them back and your paypal account will go into a negative. You will simply owe Natwest a few unpaid item fees and the bulk of the money will be owed to paypal

Make sure you cancel the direct debit for paypal from your bank account otherwise they will try to debit again and you will get unpaid item fees on top of the previous fees and then unautorised overdraft fees.

Its so easy to spiral out of controll, (I have first hand experance of bad bank account management)

This is not an impossiable situaion to sort but do something now, dont just burry you head in the sand (Again, I used to be a first class head in sand burrier and it doesnt solve anything)

BTW, if the debt gets passed for collection, debt collectors will find you, gaurenteed.
    Talk to those people you owe money too, its in their intrest to help you, just remember they cant have what you havnt got so they will do their best to help you just as long as you help them

[STRIKE]DFD - 24th October 2015[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]DFD - 24th March 2015 [/STRIKE]
    DEBT FREE 24.03.15
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ....would it be bad if I just left it and forgot about it and then set up a repayment plan when I'm in full time employment?

It would be the worst option you could possibly choose. Firstly, your debt will rocket because of the charges that pile on every day.

Secondly, your credit record will be shot to pieces for possibly decades to come.

You must get an arrangement with the bank, and you must find a job to pay the money back.

Check out the debt-free wannabe board for some more help - there are organisations that you can contact, contact information is over there.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    First thing to do is get a current account with another bank before anything hits the fan. Like immediately. Then you'll still be able to bank and you'll have somewhere to get benefits etc paid into without them disappearing straight into a black hole.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • Wow What a stupid situation to get yourself in.
  • Anonymous1990
    Anonymous1990 Posts: 17 Forumite
    pqrdef wrote: »
    First thing to do is get a current account with another bank before anything hits the fan. Like immediately. Then you'll still be able to bank and you'll have somewhere to get benefits etc paid into without them disappearing straight into a black hole.

Thanks that sounds like a good idea.
  • Anonymous1990
    Anonymous1990 Posts: 17 Forumite
    fevlo wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you were funding the betting account using paypal and they were taking the funds as a direct debit hence why it doesnt come out your bank for a few days.
    If the direct debit hasnt already been taken then it is likely that Natwest will bounce them back and your paypal account will go into a negative. You will simply owe Natwest a few unpaid item fees and the bulk of the money will be owed to paypal

Make sure you cancel the direct debit for paypal from your bank account otherwise they will try to debit again and you will get unpaid item fees on top of the previous fees and then unautorised overdraft fees.

Its so easy to spiral out of controll, (I have first hand experance of bad bank account management)

This is not an impossiable situaion to sort but do something now, dont just burry you head in the sand (Again, I used to be a first class head in sand burrier and it doesnt solve anything)

BTW, if the debt gets passed for collection, debt collectors will find you, gaurenteed.
    Talk to those people you owe money too, its in their intrest to help you, just remember they cant have what you havnt got so they will do their best to help you just as long as you help them

Yes that is exactly right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport