how long were you comping before winning anything?

Sorry to ask this here feel free to move it if required.

Ive not been comping long (5 and half weeks), but not feeling very confident about winning anything. Up to last night I have entered 448 comps (not including instant wins like on FB) and have only won 1 itune credit. Is it really worth all this time and effort. I didnt even get anything in the glamour may comps :rotfl: How do you keep up your motivation for entering? Although this has become a habit for me now and just something to pass the time, but Im not feeling as though Im getting anything out of it. Tips to feeling positive about it would greatly help thanks.
Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:

Comments

• Savvybunny2009
    Savvybunny2009 Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Back when I started, I was winning alot, it took me a month or so before winning anything but I worked out that I was averaging 1 win for every 440 comps entered, I obviously was entering at least ten times that each month.

HTHs, it will take time and alot fo effort and dedication. Enjoy your hobby and try not to focus on prizes too much as it can become a chore otherwise and not fun.
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It took me about a month to win my first prize. It was a Sourpuss coin purse and I adored it (still do). :)

I agree with Savvybunny. Wins are just a bonus. Sure, it's nice if you win something, but entering competitions should be for fun. If you just do it to win, then you're going to get bored very quickly!
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Back when I started, I was winning alot, it took me a month or so before winning anything but I worked out that I was averaging 1 win for every 440 comps entered, I obviously was entering at least ten times that each month.

HTHs, it will take time and alot fo effort and dedication. Enjoy your hobby and try not to focus on prizes too much as it can become a chore otherwise and not fun.

I know you're right, just see it as a hobby, which it has become, but at first its quite hard not to think about the prizes. Im not entering those things I wouldn't buy anyway otherwise Id win something I really have no use for.
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    The first tip is if you aren't enjoying comping or it's taking over then perhaps it isn't for you. Win rates vary from perso to person and every person you ask on here will have a different story to their comping life. The main thing about comping like any hobby is to enjoy what you do... With or without returns. The prizes are a bonus. 5 and a half weeks isn't all that long really, a lot of comps may not have even finished that you entered (plus long bank holiday will have held up other comp results being announced) good luck and hope you get a nice win. I am lucky that I get enough small wins a month to feel it's worthwhile
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • EndlessStruggle
    EndlessStruggle Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A lot of comps don't tell you you have won the prize just turns up and these can take up to 28 days to arrive. I've won some lovely prizes and just entered comps every so often, I take big breaks in it.
  • TREEZ
    TREEZ Posts: 817 Forumite
    It took me 6 weeks to win anything (Glamour giveaway) but the biggest prize for me is hearing about what the prizes have meant to some of the other winners, and laughing at some of the comments made. All that I have won has gone to my daughter who is happy with any little thing. It is as much a social thing for me as anything, but I would be lying if I said I`m not a little bit excited when the postman comes, just in case!
    2018 wins - The Missing Girl Book, £25 worth of doggy treats, 2 Beach Towels, Bottle of Ribena
  • Elsbells21
    Elsbells21 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It took me a good few months to win anything, and like you I only enter what I really want. The feeling of getting a win really does spur you on though... fingers crossed for you!
    (just remember that there are people who comp everyday who haven't won things for half a year. I guess it's just when your luck is in) :)
  • TREEZ wrote: »
    It took me 6 weeks to win anything (Glamour giveaway) but the biggest prize for me is hearing about what the prizes have meant to some of the other winners, and laughing at some of the comments made. All that I have won has gone to my daughter who is happy with any little thing. It is as much a social thing for me as anything, but I would be lying if I said I`m not a little bit excited when the postman comes, just in case!

Maybe I need to get into the social side of it a bit more, but what is that? Its not exactly a busy forum for chatting or am I missing something :) Unless it really isn't for me, I mean why enter comps if not to win the prize? Although I dont want to give up yet :rotfl:
  • cootuk
    cootuk Posts: 878 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2012 at 11:33AM
    I got into comping from collecting vouchers - decent vouchers seem to have dried up since tescos DTD fiasco, so i thought i'd try comping rather than playing a computer game for an hour or two every other night.
    First win was a snuggle cushion just in time for DD birthday and was probably two months after starting. A few smaller wins since, and now about 6 months before a £500 value win.
    A lot of the facebook comps seem to have 500-1000 entries minimum, so if you only enter 30 comps a day then odds are one win a month.
    Plus many comps end months ahead, so my £500 win was from a march entry. It's a case of plugging away, getting a few freebies too, and letting random chance have time to take effect.
    it is nice to get a win that you can give to DW or DD rather than yourself, and a lot of the prizes are tailored to women (makeup, handbags) so I enter to give away if I win - make good birthday presents too.
  • hannibal1970
    hannibal1970 Posts: 409 Forumite
    i won a holiday to cyprus, £500 sports direct vouchers and loads of other stuff in the 1st 3 months

but nothing of any note in the last 3

but i still keep on plugging away
    £32 worth of prizes in 2015 so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills